Chain to Braid splice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain to Braid splice
    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 7:55am
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - could anyone point me to video or written instruction for chain to 8 strand 12mm braided anchor warp
Thanks heaps in advance!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This the delmera rope stuff?
If so, that is hollow...
Make the loop tight around the metal eye thingy..and feed the tag end up inside the hollow inside a good 500mm or so.
 Same as hook on winch rope

If std braided.. not sure if can, it has a core down the center.
Maybe why 3 strand poly rope used (??) with a std back splice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 2:11pm
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Steps - thanks for that but I cannot use a thimble as the rope / chain splice has to pass the windlass gypsy....I am changing to braid as the three ply seems to get torn up to easily and then fouls on the gypsy as its being hauled in. 
I have seen several photos of multi plat spliced to chain but no 'how to's' 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:15pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you can splice 3 ply rope then Splicing multi strand braid is the same principal. It is also easier on new rope than used rope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 4:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had 12mm rope spliced to 8 mm chain before it's really difficulteven for the professionals. Going down to 10 mm rope is an advantage.

My gypsy gives me the same problem.

I've switched to the boat end for a new splice with the twelve still a challenge.

I have found with that bulge by using coloured chain markers I'm more aware of the splice point arriving and slow my intake down.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I've had 12mm rope spliced to 8 mm chain before it's really difficulteven for the professionals. Going down to 10 mm rope is an advantage.

My gypsy gives me the same problem.

I've switched to the boat end for a new splice with the twelve still a challenge.

I have found with that bulge by using coloured chain markers I'm more aware of the splice point arriving and slow my intake down.

Mattoo, I have my 12mm spliced to 8mm chain and the only difficulty I had was getting the 12mm through the chain link but a metal marling spike soon sorted that out. In order to not have such a bulky splice you need to do a tapered splice, so after your first 3 or 4 tucks stop one strand then continue with 2 strands then again after 3 or 4 tucks stop one strand then finish off tucking with the one remaining strand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 6:00pm
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mattoo - I have found a splice on a sailing site where you platt the 4 double plysof the rope up the chain for 10 links.....shoild make a splice with almost not increase in diameter. I'll do it in the next day our so and load test by towing something REAL heavy with it....
If it works I'll post a youtube video
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 7:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Tzer,
Appreciate your feedback.

How's your season going,
Looking good for the east coast this year.

I've always struggled.
I've taken it to "chain and ropes" north shore very skilled, and another operator in Avondale whom I forget their name.
Stayed to watch there splicing to see if I could learn more.
Both struggled to get the splice started with an 8 mm chain.
Tzer yes the reduction makes sense.

From what I've tried and observed the 12 mm hank is a problem for starting the splice.

I've decided to drop to 10 mm myself eventually for ease of splice.

10 mm warp is plenty for my 7.5 boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 7:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Tl,
Be interested in seeing your results.

We always can learn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 3:58pm
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Splice is 10 links long with almost zero increase in diameter and the chain will still be effective on the gypsy pockets. I am a bit worried as to where the ends are dogged as its a bit untidy and may catch on the gypsy so I will shrink wrap it in the final product. 
Load tested towing a Holden Craptiva .....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 4:18pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's new to me.

Hope that works out well for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 5:54pm
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To be honest the more I look at it the more dodgy it looks...its purely relying on friction to hold as there is no sort of locking tuck - its like the old Liverpool splice we would put in a wire warp if we were lazy.....Ermm....I think I'll revert to  tapered eye ......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:08pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TLines TLines wrote:

To be honest the more I look at it the more dodgy it looks...its purely relying on friction to hold as there is no sort of locking tuck - its like the old Liverpool splice we would put in a wire warp if we were lazy.....Ermm....I think I'll revert to  tapered eye ......
if Auckland based give Chain ropes anchors a ring,not there till 13/1   ph 09 4448212   about $30 for them to do it properly.

Have seen on youtube videos where they put a stitch in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 9:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by TLines TLines wrote:

if Auckland based give Chain ropes anchors a ring,not there till 13/1   ph 09 4448212   about $30 for them to do it properly.

Have seen on youtube videos where they put a stitch in.

Seems like sound advice to me
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote TLines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
TLines View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I took the good advice and went to Chins Ropes and Anchor who did a great job for me 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a pic?