MAC 420 setups

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAC 420 setups
    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys 
looking for owners of the mac 420 to share some boat layouts/setups.

I have owned one for 2yrs and still playing with the layout and I keep adding things ( like to tinker too much)

Im looking to build a triangle fuel tank to go hard up the front to carry about 50L, has anyone done this already? might be too much weight up front as I have already shifted seating hard up front....unsure

Also going to install a live bait tank has anyone got a good setup for this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mine was a cuddy cabin 2006 model put an anchor winch up front weight helped ride pulling in anchor in manukau harbour a pain as hatch to small.
Here's a few pictures - here's wiinch and you can see net and white nav light pole stored behind winch

had to put roller on bow otherwise rubbed edge of hatch

canopy great for bar crossing and when wind against tide and choppy

console layout note perspex covers to keep water off = tacho/radio/hr meter all died early on due to corrosion usually had canopy window open for visabillity -  perspex helped keep dry if waves over top crossing Manukau Bar!

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:45pm
Bronze
Bronze

nice setup, whats the layout at the back?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

I had a cracked transom (part of battery box) - many do this they put thicker alloy from 2016 I think - heres a picture of rear with box after repair (put gussets in) and powder coated black to match 50hp engine was white and looked odd..you can see bench seats at rear chillly bin with bait board sits on battery box held by eyes and a tie down through them. 

Had electrics tidied up at same time as box repaired.  has 2 king queen seats up front with tote tank under king queen seats - sorry dont have picture.
Permatrim really helped holeshot and planing at low speed - IMO 50hp though max rated is underpowered a lot better with 60 or 75 but transom needs to be strengthened.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah ive got a 2006 one and previous owner had a hair line crack 5mm long start in the ally weld he had it repaired it seems to be all good now he did admit he wasnt using a motor brace on it until it cracked so not really unexpected.

I run a 60 e-tec good power with three ppl in it however I do struggle to keep it on the plane when wanting to run at slower speed even with a large permatrim.

Have you messed around with shifting any weight around the boat? I.E. have you found they like the weight more forward or as far back as possible?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by alkirker@xtra.co.nz [email protected] wrote:

Yeah ive got a 2006 one and previous owner had a hair line crack 5mm long start in the ally weld he had it repaired it seems to be all good now he did admit he wasnt using a motor brace on it until it cracked so not really unexpected.

I run a 60 e-tec good power with three ppl in it however I do struggle to keep it on the plane when wanting to run at slower speed even with a large permatrim.

Have you messed around with shifting any weight around the boat? I.E. have you found they like the weight more forward or as far back as possible?

Played around with it a lot - I was 2nd owner - engine height was too low, wrong prop, put permatrim on after getting height and prop right (rated rpm now at WOT) - these changes improved mid range a lot.  Needed weight up front when first got as tended to dig bum in rather than get up on plane - permatrim helped a lot with this - but with a 50hp basic problem is under powered, if 4 people in boat they need to be up front to get on plane. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

only fish with 2 on boat mainly, I have correct height of motor etc but cant drop down less than say 16Kn other wise it falls off the plain weight in boat seems to have no noticeable effect on it either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been out in Macs 420 several times, over the bar.
Im very impressed with the thought he puts into things , the practicability, and execution.

Anyone to take notice on .. its him and his 420...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:41am
Titanium
Titanium

only fish with 2 on boat mainly, I have correct height of motor etc but cant drop down less than say 16Kn other wise it falls off the plain weight in boat seems to have no noticeable effect on it either
16Kn falls off plane thats a bit high compared to mine as I recall - do you pull recommended WOT RPM?  Are you sure motor height correct?  not line of outboard with hull when trimmed down on trailer - but normal load cruising speed have a look at motor "cavitation plate" above prop just above water/droplets on it not submerged (to deep)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:42am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I have been out in Macs 420 several times, over the bar.
Im very impressed with the thought he puts into things , the practicability, and execution.

Anyone to take notice on .. its him and his 420...
thanks for your comments Embarrassed.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 1:47pm
Bronze
Bronze

I trust the boat guys that set it up as I had the out board replaced and new prop when I brought the boat.

WOT RPM I would think is correct too.
I certainly have no problem getting up onto the plane even with a loaded boat.
I have not checked for myself on water height over cavitation plate, will check when out next.

I thought it might just be a hull design issue... Do you know roughly how slow you can go before you drop off?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

so for final layout assuming all the weight balance works out:

-looking to build a new fuel tank to go hard up the front of say 50L

-probably ditching king/queen seat (Passenger seat) for the chillybin position, will make up a cushion other wise lazy crew members likely to wine, maybe too much weight up front ? too be tested and chilly bin may have to go to the back and king queen seat will go back in.up until now I have placed passenger seat hard forward from original layout to increase useable deck space I.E back of passenger seat was in line with the back of drivers seat and fuel tank use to reside in passenger seat.

-I like where the live bait tank will end up as it wont take up precious deck space.

small boat -very sensitive about my deck space lol, need lots of room for those big fish to come on board.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 7:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

I trust the boat guys that set it up as I had the out board replaced and new prop when I brought the boat.

WOT RPM I would think is correct too.
I certainly have no problem getting up onto the plane even with a loaded boat.
I have not checked for myself on water height over cavitation plate, will check when out next.

I thought it might just be a hull design issue... Do you know roughly how slow you can go before you drop off?
My experience has been many get it wrong - "trust and verify" - do you have tacho?  If no tacho ask guys who setup if they had a tacho and what rpm?
WOT typically 5500 rpm or so in manual it varies a bit for each motor - is your "gearing" or load on motor.
Calm water flat out trim for max speed what rpm?   With 50hp I get about 50km/hr flat out - I lost 2-3km/hr with permatrim on but it helped holeshot/turning/planing speed a lot.
I dont own boat now but recall 20km/hr (10 knots) it would drop off plane from memory that was slowing down, a bit faster than this to get on plane as I recall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 7:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

so for final layout assuming all the weight balance works out:

-looking to build a new fuel tank to go hard up the front of say 50L

-probably ditching king/queen seat (Passenger seat) for the chillybin position, will make up a cushion other wise lazy crew members likely to wine, maybe too much weight up front ? too be tested and chilly bin may have to go to the back and king queen seat will go back in.up until now I have placed passenger seat hard forward from original layout to increase useable deck space I.E back of passenger seat was in line with the back of drivers seat and fuel tank use to reside in passenger seat.

-I like where the live bait tank will end up as it wont take up precious deck space.

small boat -very sensitive about my deck space lol, need lots of room for those big fish to come on board.   

The right layout for you is what you come up with.
I had a stack of plastic boxes that fitted snugly behind console which I stored tools, safety gear, first aid kit & fishing tackle etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wozzabottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 8:47am
Wozzabottle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mac
Do you still have your 420??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With evinrude/ johnson/ Yamaha..
 At cruise on flat water at best trim for THAT speed...
 the bottom of the cavitaion plate should be in the water.
 The top surface will only have droplets running down the top like water condensation on a window.
 As engines 'adjust ' height in 1" increments you will most probably find going lower, adjustment will be best as very likely to ventilate a little too easy in chop.

Ideal WoT rpms for a general use boat, on flat water, at best trim for THAT speed,
 before porpoising of the bow and/or ventilation
 is +/- 100 rpms .. preferably the lower...
at normal loading weight.
For that hull and weight boat about 3 to5% slip and around 12% at normal cruise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Wozzabottle Wozzabottle wrote:

Hi Mac
Do you still have your 420??
sold 6 years ago got a mac 360 and freshwater boating for a few years now have a fyran 440.
Page  123>