MAC 420 setups

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:50pm
HB_fishdive View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is the only pic I can find of mine from when I had the live bait tank on, it works well there but you do notice the weight when on the move with a full tank.
I also have an underfloor tank running down the centre from behind my anchor box to the battery box, I like the idea of having the weight distributed and not stuck in the bow - particularly in a following sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:20pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey thanks for the info, nice mac
what engine size are you running?
Did you have to modify your bait tank to sit it there to get past the steering?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:52pm
HB_fishdive View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers. Engine is a 60hp.

No I didn’t need to modify the bait tank, i had it just behind the steering rod. It worked well there, the space in front of the tank gave me a safe spot to store scrubbing brush, bait net etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

how have you found the boat for top speed?, lowest speed before dropping off the plane?
have you messed around with shifting weight around I.E if you have a full chilly bin how you manage the extra weight better at the back or as far forward? ( or do you never get full chilly bins in the bay ? lol )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by HB_fishdive HB_fishdive wrote:

Fuel tank

That is super cool, but very irregular in shape. Did you have it built as custom? Where do you fill it from, the rear? Dont you have to be on a slope to make sure it fills all the way up? Great use of space.

I was amazed when I went for a ride in one of these. I dont know what I expected, but I tell you what I didnt get, as wet as everybody makes them out to be. We were in about a metre swell and wind just slightly pushing a whitecap, so no 3 foot white caps admittedly, but wow it went through the water,  well its hard to describe. Kind of like a hypalon RIB, but something slightly different. Kind of what Id imagine those Scorpion 480 APBs would be like if made out of Glass, so a GPB of sorts. 

What do you think it is that caused your crack?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 3:49pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another fun fact, they have the most cockpit space for the true length of the boat than any other. FC430 is similar, but clearly a different boat (being an open tiller steer etc with no protection from the elements). 

Ive also seen the mac 420 fitted with the 570 CC (I think) console and it takes up 2 man space, but would make it dryer. 

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

IMO 50hp though max rated is underpowered a lot better with 60 or 75 but transom needs to be strengthened.

Yes the heavy engine must be a concern, but well braced and as you said reinforced, sound like a lot of power.

Did you reinforce yours with plate ally?

Anything 50hp and above this wouldnt hurt to do perhaps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:14pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

It seems all of them with 50hp plus seems to crack at the hull.

Could you back that up with proof/facts, Fiz?
I think a sweeping statement of that nature could be seen as being a bit over the top & unfair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"Kind of like a hypalon RIB, but something slightly different. Kind of what Id imagine those Scorpion 480 APBs would be like if made out of Glass, so a GPB of sorts" 

"Another fun fact, they have the most cockpit space for the true length of the boat than any other"

"It seems all of them with 50hp plus seems to crack at the hull"

Wacko
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Could you back that up with proof/facts, Fiz?
I think a sweeping statement of that nature could be seen as being a bit over the top & unfair.

Yes fair call. I will adjust this statement. I will just state I have seen it occur so when the OP mentioned it, it made me wonder if it is caused by an accident or the engine, as rare as it is. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

I have now put a fair few hours on the 60 e-tec on the mac 420, only standard transom and have no issue's
I think biggest concern is guys not bracing the outboard off the trailer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

On another note since comming back to the forum, I have completed my custom built fuel tank and live bait tank 😎
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by alkirker@xtra.co.nz [email protected] wrote:

I think biggest concern is guys not bracing the outboard off the trailer

Yes, very good point, especially if you have say a 60hp Honda (due to the higher weight) hanging on the back.

I dont think it is very common and likely either an accident or like you said maybe not bracing heavy engines over long period. Either way I do not think its common enough to cause alarm, especially when the fix sounds rather straight forward.

The Etec is lighter and like you said. Your hull should ride so sweet and quiet and settle into the water like any pontoon style boat, with that huge beam.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

from 2013

This hull has plan approval to MSA NZ standards as well as US Coastguard and CE certification. The fact the internal voids are filled with foam as standard ensures no modifications are required for the boat to go into survey, and a number of these versatile craft are in regular commercial use around the country and overseas. They are also popular as tenders for larger vessels.

Overall, the Mac 420 is a great little boat, and should be a serious contender for anyone looking for something in the four- to five-metre range — a spacious, stable and maintenance-free craft. Mac Boats' tag line is 'Boats for Life' and this is no idle claim.

Even the Aussies like them

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat-review/mac/power-boats/mac-420-fisherman/312

Should have a brace from trailer to motor when transporting imo no matter what vessel,not to rely on hydrolics to hold motor up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

from 2013

Should have a brace from trailer to motor when transporting imo no matter what vessel,not to rely on hydrolics to hold motor up.

Ive always used one, and ive always made sure to have the engine tilt down into a snug fit. Its possible the few that have been noticed with cracks it could just be this, just like any glass boat.

Yes Ive noticed the aussies talking about them haha.

We have had their Polycraft boats for a number of years here in NZ, more similar to smartwave boats at a quick glance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:21pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Who made your tank for you, or was it off the shelf?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

It was a metal fabrication company in palmerston North
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It was a metal fabrication company in palmerston North

Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 4:11pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Recently got my first Mac 420, the newer model with an injected two stroke Tohatsu on the back.

Has anyone successfully game fished with theirs ? Wanting to set mine up for summer out west. It’s got the two standard gunwale rod holders and two upright ones fixed to the two rear seats. I was thinking of some outriggers but then again it’s a small boat and don’t want to overcomplicate things. It has a decent Bimini with clears but no rocket launcher so really I’m limited to running four setups without a middle shotgun.

Any ideas would be welcomed !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 5:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gurnard,
I’ve only just seen this post.
It might have had more success in the work up forum.
Which probably should be renamed the game fishing forum

However if you do read this know that your boat and rod holder options are more than suitable. You only need one rod and a whole lot of luck.

Your challenges are being safe, small boat on the West Coast requires choosing your window for safety first.
After that it’s a whole lot of little things.
More rods and teasers and attractors to your boat are just one of many.
Being in the right place, knowledge, help from mates, and ssts are others.
The list goes on.
But being there is the key, gotta have that lure in the water first eh.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  <123>