How quickly your luck can change when fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How quickly your luck can change when fishing
    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 5:25pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last week I had a trip out targetting squid which was pretty slow but I found the motherload of Snapper on the way home!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice snap.. seems fish like that getting far more common in the last 3 yrs around there.

Might find getting up into the guts will get better results.

Have often hit the snaps where you where around this time of yr and into autumn...even when petrels are just sitting on the water there.. nothing appearing to happen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 5:37am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice footage and fish Coxie! Do you think the Squids would be as far south as Northern Taranaki? Have never seen one caught or anyone target them, Think they would be Beauty fresh big Snap Baits!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Even up here most ppl dont even know they are there, let alone you can get them during the day.
Just find a bit of good kelpy area and wave a lure just across the top of the kelp.

And they are good eating.
Also the ink is a good addition to burley.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 9:28am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Nice footage and fish Coxie! Do you think the Squids would be as far south as Northern Taranaki? Have never seen one caught or anyone target them, Think they would be Beauty fresh big Snap Baits!Beer

About 10 years ago we were fishing off New Plymouth and we came across a huge school of them, big buggers, probably 50cm+ if you included all the dangly bits. The guy whose boat we were on had a couple of rods pre-rigged for them so I assume it wasn't an uncommon occurrence? They were pretty gnarly, latching on to fish we were winding up and attacking other squid that got hooked. Tasted pretty good too, from memory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 3:49pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geoff - I have no doubt they will be there, it's just a matter of finding them. A guy from Nelson by the name of Mark Cotton also makes videos for youtube and they caught a squid on a Snapper jig in his video last week. I was in Nelson 6 months ago visiting a friend and saw a Chinese guy casting a squid jig off the beach, so lower north island there is bound to be squid around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 5:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

nice work Coxie

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 9:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 10 years ago we were fishing off New Plymouth and we came across a huge school of them, big buggers, probably 50cm+ if you included all the dangly bits.

It is my understanding the species out in the deep water are different to the species in the shore kelp and grass.

And I think that the kelp type only live for a yr...spawn in feb ish and die.. so rather big.. get to about Easter and the young are big enough to catch, and get bigger as the yr goes on.
 So time of yr determines the size of the in shore kelp type