Which Topwater Reel - Penn, Daiwa, Shimano?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Topwater Reel - Penn, Daiwa, Shimano?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm interested in which of these mid-range topwater reels people would go for - and why? Are there are others worth considering in this price range?

PENN Slammer III 6500HS Spinning Reel 
  • Gear ratio: 6.2:1
  • Weight: 700 g
  • Retrieve rate: 48" (122cm)
  • Max Drag lb 40lb | 18.1kg

Daiwa Saltist 6500 Magseal Spinning Reel
  • Gear ratio: 5.3 (123cm)
  • Weight: 850 g
  • Drag pressure: 15 kg

Daiwa Saltist LTD 6500 Magseal Spinning Reel 
  • Gear Ratio: 5.3:1 (123cm)
  • Weight 840 g
  • Drag: 15kg
  • Line Capacity: PE 5/500m, 6/400m

Daiwa Saltist 8000 Magseal Spinning Reel
  • Gear ratio: 5.3 (135 cm)
  • Weight: 870 g
  • Drag pressure: 15 kg

Daiwa Saltist Nero 8000 Spinning Reel 
  • Gear Ratio: 5.3 (135cm)
  • Wt (G): 850 gm
  • Drag Pressure (Kg): 15 kg

Daiwa BG16 6500 Spinning Reel 
  • Gear Ratio: 5.3 (123cm)
  • Weight: 835g
  • Drag: 15kg

Shimano Saragosa 8000 SWHG Spinning Reel 
  • Gear ratio: 5.6:1 (106cm)
  • Drag power: 12kg
  • Weight: 680g
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNggtJCKbm0
See video @5.30 
< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It would be useful for those answering to know the areas you intend to fish, and the type of gear you want to use - e.g. PE rating of line. 

If you're intending to fish to the Three Kings or the big fish areas in the Sounds (or maybe even the tropics for GTs etc) that's a very different ball game to inner Hauraki Gulf where many people use 5000H Daiwas, or 6000-8000 size Shimanos.

The Saragosa, and to some extent the Slammer, is a much smaller reel than most of the Daiwas, in terms of the weight and capacity.

Is casting all day with big heavy reels going to be a factor?

Another factor to consider is servicing. As you've listed, the Daiwas except the BG and maybe the Nero are 'magsealed'- so servicing needs to be done by an authorised agent here or sent away. Whereas the Penn and Shimano don't have that issue. If you get your reels professionally serviced regularly, the cost could add up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:25am
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spend a bit more and buy a Stella or Twinpower 10 000 or 14 000 model and you have a reel for many years to come.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:44am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gosa 10000 is probably more of a like for like comparison with the other reels, but as above i'd check out the Twin Powers at Fishing Direct and see what sort of deal they can do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:09am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing Direct NZ currently seems to have the Twinpower only up to the 4000 size. In fact, I can't see any NZ online sites with the 10,000 or 14,000 - largest available online here at the moment seems to be 5000? Maybe some local stores have them.

While many people would love a Stella or a high-end Daiwa, and i get the logic of the buy once - rather than buying more budget level only to want to upgrade in a year's time - for some of us paying nearly 5 x the price of a Slammer isn't an option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 2:11pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you do get the Shimano, take a look at Alan Hawk's review:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:36am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by snoteel snoteel wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNggtJCKbm0
See video @5.30 
< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">

Thanks mate. I've fished the Saragossa 10,000 for quite a few years and think its a great reel. However, I don't think the retrieval rate in either the 8000 or 10000 is ideal for topwater applications, which is why I am considering others. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:47am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

It would be useful for those answering to know the areas you intend to fish, and the type of gear you want to use - e.g. PE rating of line. 

If you're intending to fish to the Three Kings or the big fish areas in the Sounds (or maybe even the tropics for GTs etc) that's a very different ball game to inner Hauraki Gulf where many people use 5000H Daiwas, or 6000-8000 size Shimanos.

The Saragosa, and to some extent the Slammer, is a much smaller reel than most of the Daiwas, in terms of the weight and capacity.

Is casting all day with big heavy reels going to be a factor?

Another factor to consider is servicing. As you've listed, the Daiwas except the BG and maybe the Nero are 'magsealed'- so servicing needs to be done by an authorised agent here or sent away. Whereas the Penn and Shimano don't have that issue. If you get your reels professionally serviced regularly, the cost could add up?

Hey mate, 

I fish a number of different areas such as the Mokes, Tutukaka, Far North, etc but predominately I fish the Hauraki. I don't do enough topwater fishing to justify running both a light and heavy set up - and I think some of the reels I have listed above are most likely suitable for both. I have fished a Saragossa 10000 at the Three Kings for topwater kings and it actually held up well - I just find the retrieval rate less than ideal compared to times I've fished other topwater reels like the Saltiga. 

I primarily fish 60lb Tasline elite. 

I'll probably pair with the energy concept PE6 rod, as it seems like a good match for the money - though I am open to other suggestions. 

Good points with regard to the weight and servicing of the Daiwas - this has left me leaning towards the Penn option.

Thank you for your thoughts.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:54am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ET487 ET487 wrote:

Spend a bit more and buy a Stella or Twinpower 10 000 or 14 000 model and you have a reel for many years to come.

Hey, thanks for that.
I think we would all go for those options if money wasn't an issue. However, $1000 extra - at least with the Stella 14,000 - isn't exactly "a bit more" money. I'm not sure you can get the twin power 10000 new anymore either? Plus with the water-resistant technology in the Penn, what's to say it wouldn't be as robust in some aspects as the likes of a Stella?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:02am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Gosa 10000 is probably more of a like for like comparison with the other reels, but as above i'd check out the Twin Powers at Fishing Direct and see what sort of deal they can do.

Thanks for that. I already have a Gosa 10000 and find the retrieval rate to be a bit of an issue for topwater - apart from that I've found it to be a great reel. I'm reasonably confident Fishing Direct don't sell twin powers in the 10000 size anymore - i'm not sure if anyone in NZ does?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:05am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Fishing Direct NZ currently seems to have the Twinpower only up to the 4000 size. In fact, I can't see any NZ online sites with the 10,000 or 14,000 - largest available online here at the moment seems to be 5000? Maybe some local stores have them.

While many people would love a Stella or a high-end Daiwa, and i get the logic of the buy once - rather than buying more budget level only to want to upgrade in a year's time - for some of us paying nearly 5 x the price of a Slammer isn't an option.

Exactly. And, by many accounts, the slammer is a robust reel with some waterproofing technology. Consequently, I'm not so sure the needing to replace the argument stands up so well - at least with regard to longevity. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:24am
No Major View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I should add this to the list also! At $215 it seems to be an absolute bargain! Has anyone used one of these??

Okuma Azores Blue 9000 Saltwater Spinning Reel
  • Weight: 739g
  • Line Retrieve: 120.4cm
  • Max Drag Pressure: 20kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:24am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty sure they have some 14000SWs, call in and see Eric, he'll sort you out!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

more than happy with my Smith gtk and saragosa 8k, more than enough retrieve speed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 4:40pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes i use one a few times. Biggest fish was a 26 KG yellowfin. Handle it self well enough.Also loaded with 60lb Tasline
Originally posted by No Major No Major wrote:

I should add this to the list also! At $215 it seems to be an absolute bargain! Has anyone used one of these??

Okuma Azores Blue 9000 Saltwater Spinning Reel
  • Weight: 739g
  • Line Retrieve: 120.4cm
  • Max Drag Pressure: 20kg