Which glue for a game rod roller tip?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swamp man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which glue for a game rod roller tip?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:31pm
Swamp man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Rod builders I need some advice please. I need to put a new roller guide on the tip of my 37 kg rod .Which glue would you use ?Is flex coat hot glue going to be strong enough ,would you go with 5 minute epoxy or is there something else? I am reading that the 5 minute epoxy can be heated to remove the tip if needed without destroying the blank but I’m not confident about this.Your thoughts please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 8:06pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Swamp man Swamp man wrote:

Rod builders I need some advice please. I need to put a new roller guide on the tip of my 37 kg rod .Which glue would you use ?Is flex coat hot glue going to be strong enough ,would you go with 5 minute epoxy or is there something else? I am reading that the 5 minute epoxy can be heated to remove the tip if needed without destroying the blank but I’m not confident about this.Your thoughts please.

Use araldite and yes all it takes is some heat from heat gun or cigarette light, dont use blow torch as over heating the blank will damage it especially modern day composites.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just asking questions.. one never stops learning...
Why araldite and not  epoxy?

And why not hot melt as is the norm (as have been told by a couple rod builders and ppl who repair) on most other rods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:25am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I worked in a tackle shop all we used for all rods is the hot melt glue.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah  but this is a 37kg roller tip rod....
Not quite the ave 'get a feed' type rod..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Yeah  but this is a 37kg roller tip rod....
Not quite the ave 'get a feed' type rod..

Agree...I would use 24hr araldite on a game rod tip.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:54pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I always use 5 minute Araldite for rod tips, easy to remove with a bit of heat and sets quickly so there’s no chance of the tip moving out of alignment while the epoxy is setting. I’ve made 100’s of rods for me and paying clients, plus repairs in a sports store back in the day. Have had no issues with the 5 min epoxy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swamp man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:29pm
Swamp man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Fishimad it sounds like the 5 minute Araldite might be the answer .Google points towards hot glue being good for lighter weight gear but the big rods needing something stronger.Hopefully I will get to test the glue out over the summer.Thanks for everyone's comments.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:14pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Id go for an epoxy over Araldite on a 37kg rod.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The trouble with epoxy is that itr is far more permanent.. you will have to cut the  top off the blank to replace..

I didnt know araldite softens under heat.. so like hot melt its an alternate with a far greater adhesion.