2nd hand outboards for sale

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Haularse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd hand outboards for sale
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:08pm
Haularse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, Have been looking for a second hand outboard for some time.
50-70 hp range.

It's very hard to find one

I tend to find that the ones privately advertised for sale by the owners, they are generally expecting top dollar for the engine.

Often this is after they have been offered a very low trade in price by a dealer.
 When you question them regarding the hours and servicing, the engines have mostly had minimal love in that regard or very spasmodic servicing through their life time. Certainly not what is required of a four or a two stroke. Engine hours in some cases are also unknown. 

And they see no reason why people should not pay them top money for their engine!!!!

Ok, rant over, feel better.......back to trade me!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:47am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to world of boating - save a search in trade me and a good one at a realistic price will eventually turn up but you will have to be quick.

Other options are to are careful consideration buy a broken one cheap and fix up, or buy new when on sale or possibly in winter when you might get a good deal if you get tired of waiting.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took us near yrs to find a boat with a good engine...at reasonable price.
 And even then it was not listed long.
 Then took another 2 yrs to find a good engine 20" leg to replace that one.. at a fair price ... again wasnt listed long.

Yep most are often crap, and or over priced...and anything good goes fast.

Thats the nature of the market.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:15am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree the expectations of sellers in general needs adjusting with reality.
Ive just sold a faultless 3.5 year old 90hp 4-stroke mercury with 500 hours and a full maintenance history. There was 1.5 years of factory warranty left. This went for what I would call a fair and reasonable price of around 60% of new price plus the fitting costs.

When buying a motor over 5 years old the best/cheapest 1/3 of the expected life has already gone to the original owner and what is left is the maintenance and more expensive 2/3 of its life.

Hope this helps in setting a reasonable price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:37am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

60% of the new price is a good deal, probably sold it quick ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I kept my 1st (2004 115 johnny ) for about 6 months.. just to make sure the new engine (2001 V6 150) was good. Had 93 hr up.. records of annual serving in Taupo AND winterized every yr ..from new. Brought it sight unseen.

Once saw was good after some 10 or 12 trips, put the 115 on the market for a fair price.. 1st near sale turned out to be tyre kickers.. sold 2 days later... again sight unseen for $2000K less than brought the 150 for ( all well under 10K)

When buying a motor over 5 years old the best/cheapest 1/3 of the expected life has already gone to the original owner and what is left is the maintenance and more expensive 2/3 of its life.

Dunno...
For us guys who knock up hrs on a regular basis would have to agree.. For the general rec user no
Take a ave trip say KK bay to shag or muscle farms for a full day...45/60 minutes return.. 10 mins messing around... say 1hr per trip.
We put up between 25 and 30 trips a yr...lot sorter than above.. say 25 to 30hrs up per yr...thats  only 150yr for a very frequent ave user.
Normal rec would be lucky to do 1/2 that
 Life of an engine...m8 has just over 2200 hrs up with a couple 1000+ repairs.
 Another has over 1100 hrs still strong ..

Both my engines where/ are 12 to 18yrs old.
 well maintained well serviced well propped (power head loading) etc.

Shop around, patience..keep items missed out on listed, keep an eye on what keeps getting re listed...will miss a coupe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Haularse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:02pm
Haularse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you all for your responses and advice.

Spot on, will keep looking and hopefully find the right one.

Seen some older engines with low hours, but again if not maintained.......

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:26pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would rather get an older engine with hours than not, lack of use kills some engines. e.g. Water gets into fuel and sits for months in the injectors slowly rusting them out. Then the motor breaks and the owner blames the manufacturer. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Which is why manuals and hand books talk bout winterizing.
Most boats engine sit for periods more than 3 months at a time ..thats reality
And if that engine is serviced, looked after.. usually can tell because of areas around trims, spark plugs etc are clean .. no corrosion etc all will be ok.

Its common sense real life, if it looks crap it will be crap
 And like any 2nd hand car...whatever... you always keep a back up roll of money to cover these things...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:48am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When storing an outboard for any lenght of time always cover the exhaust hub with a plastic baag. When at rest there are always some valves/ports open that let in the cold/damp/humid air into the cylinder and can cause rust and corrosion.

I agree I would trade extra hours on an older motor rather than one with less hours that has not been used. There are some commercially used 4 strokes that have done in excess of 10,000 hours. More outboards fail early due to non-use that those that are worn out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Haularse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:55pm
Haularse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Higher hours? 

I have seen a four stroke 60hp ob for sale, 2015. 560 hours, but 350 are under 1000 RPM...
Would the higher hours be a problem, or potential problem in the future given that so many of them are below this RPM range?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:16pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Haularse Haularse wrote:

Higher hours? 

I have seen a four stroke 60hp ob for sale, 2015. 560 hours, but 350 are under 1000 RPM...
Would the higher hours be a problem, or potential problem in the future given that so many of them are below this RPM range?
commercial users get 5-6K hrs no problem - has it had an annual oil change (service) - usually 100hrs or annually whichever first and flushed after each use in salt water?  Yes?  No Worries.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:23pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Haularse Haularse wrote:

Higher hours? 

Zero worries if the price is reasonable would be good , 2015 is not too old.