Matai Bay

Page  12>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matai Bay
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:58am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For all of those who were planning on launching camping and using this wonderful spot. the gate and beach access has been banned via a large steal gate and an enforced Rahue remains.  I dont have all the details just what I know.  Real shame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:58pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is it a private beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:43pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always thought it was a DOC camp site. Camped there several times.
Also anchored in there so many times.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can't find any current info.

Other than a Rahui was based on fishing, kin and shellfish collecting.

This is a non enforceable policy. Just a need to respect which seems fine to me.

Can't see a closure on the campgrounds either which is doc managed.

Might be a gate closure for those who wish their perceived rights being moe forceably made.

Basically it's a dunno from me what's going on.

Someone else may come up with better info.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:24pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Same people creating the same problems leading upto xmas!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 300wsm 300wsm wrote:

Same people creating the same problems leading upto xmas!

sounds about right
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:50pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We used to launch in the next part of the bay over the hill from the campsite. I was always told the beach was private and access was a privilege in terms of that side.
Maybe continued increases in pressure are causing these closures?
Lot more people around up here lately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 10:56am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

This is a non enforceable policy. Just a need to respect which seems fine to me.

100% agree Matoo. Just to be clear this is Matai bay and Waikato bay and from what I can work out stretches to a point about 1km offshore.

A couple of weeks back the comittee met on the restoration plan, whether they extend the rahui or if it was simply a meeting on the restoraton plan and how it is going I cannot say.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northland-age/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503402&objectid=12282448

It is somewhat old news folks, a 2 year rahui ends in March 2020.....What did people do last summer who go there?

See my link below which "suggests" an area/map.

IMO it should go on as long as it takes for the restoration plan for Snapper/Tamure to rebuild as apex predators of kina with their tough mouth and grinding teeth. CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP Wink

Do we need to ask if its enforceable or not, if people with doctorates and local iwi identify a problem, does that question need asking?

Kina can be like the crown of thorns star fish on the Great Barrier reef AU. They destroy the reef when out of control and spread like Cane Toads.

The majority here are sustainability focused imo, limit their fish not fish to the limit. Maybe some just need to diversify our pallet and include the likes of Kahawai in our personal limits.....Smile

It reminds me of endangered fresh water species being harvested aka Whitebait, who already get a hard enough time with their spawning homes destroyed by Affluent. In that case I think some just dont know and in other some just won't stop until told "you can't eat our endangered fresh water fish". Cry
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/news/article.cfm?c_id=16&objectid=12111436

Perhaps some inshore areas of NZ do need an even tighter catch limit and perhaps a total commercial ban on certain species....

Anyway

Here is a link with the map of Matai and Waikato bay, the area in purple is suggestive of the rahui area, but does no state exactly. If so the very tip of the point is about 2km out of Matai or 1km out of the headlands. Not that big a deal for boat owners 5m and up and even smaller boats on good weather windows.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/12/northland-s-maitai-bay-faces-seafood-ban-to-replenish-stocks.htm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:40pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah , there is a Rahui at Taupo Bay also . I think it started in 2017 and still in place on Paua, and the mussles in particular at the bottom end on the rock . There are Paua in the bay but are on the very,very small side as I had a close look before it was enforced .
Im going to go and have a look at a spot I know has got them to see the progress after 3 years of Rahui .
Will report back early Jan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 2:43pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

yeah , there is a Rahui at Taupo Bay also . I think it started in 2017 and still in place on Paua, and the mussles in particular at the bottom end on the rock . There are Paua in the bay but are on the very,very small side as I had a close look before it was enforced .
Im going to go and have a look at a spot I know has got them to see the progress after 3 years of Rahui .
Will report back early Jan

You are a good sort Demon, much appreciated. Anything to do with Paua gets my back up. Its not like abalone cannot grow anywhere in NZ. It is us, the greedy ones, who have poached many places to non existance. Im sure nobody on this forum is that sort given how many of us are sustainabiity focussed. But man it pisses me off. Like the lady at Taranaki got caught with something like 150 undersized Paua, Im not sure she got in any trouble at most it was a small fine. Its such a hypocrtical system. Anyone caught clearly poaching, the occasional accidental one is not poaching, being one over the limit is not poaching, fisheries are not stupid, its the 150 sort, just make it a blanket rule for all, car and boat or any associated gear confiscated and sold, money put into restoration programmes. Angry

One of the chaps working on the Matai bay one was working on the Motiti Isld one in Tauraunga. He currently only has a BSC, I hope he goes on to get his doctorate as a young Maori man, we need more of his sort who can work with local Iwi to set up fair restoration programmes, both to the locals and Iwi and to visitors, so there is something left for not just us but our following generations when we are well and truely gone. Id like to think Kiwis are smart enough for that to occur.

Id be keen to get up there and go for a freedive to see what the reefs look like too. Hopefully closer to the Poor Knights where one biologist has said the Snapper are the apex predator on the reef strangely with a lack of Bronze Whalers, usually a showing of Sharks represents a healthy reef, but apparently their numbers are low. Either way it shows how quickly Snapper bounce back given a chance and the 40lb monsters there would make short work of Kina, but last time I was there, still plenty of Kina, just non invasive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 9:57am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:50pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There may well be just cause for restricting access however as a total outsider and knowing nothing of the history the dates on that notice would suggest to me that the holiday makers are clearly being targeted. Nice welcome, NOT!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:46pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish Addict, it could be they are trying to get this done before the season for altruistic reasons...

Like close the gate before the Christmas carnage happens!

Which I guess makes you correct, they are targeting the holiday makers but maybe not out of spite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 4:40pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

There may well be just cause for restricting access however as a total outsider and knowing nothing of the history the dates on that notice would suggest to me that the holiday makers are clearly being targeted. Nice welcome, NOT!!

Yes I feel you are correct, I wish they had used the Rahui reason instead.

I would however not take this to heart, remember we are visitors and whist we have a right to holiday there, they are trying to do all a big favour by improving the Kai for all and the ecology system.

There are other near by boat ramps. They clearly want holiday goers to respect the rahui which is why I would have simply stated that this is the reason which is being backed by DOC.

A bit like idiots who dont use the boot scrubbing and trigene stations and now we have closures in the Waitakere and other areas, due to Kauri die back. We could lose our Iconic tree, due to just a few who ignore well appointed signs and look at this scrubbers and spray and just walk on by.

Sorry bit of a rant there. But my point is, its always the few that ruin it for all.

So again, its not personal and its only temporary and think of the positives, how awesome the fish life will be with the ongoing restoration programme.

IMO we have many other places this should take place, if it falls in popular holiday areas, thats the price we pay to rectify the damage that has been done.

If anyone is a couple with no depedants, maybe put your holiday off until after the rahui ends and have an awesome time with less people, water at its warmest time of the year, and some improved freediving and spearfishing, remembering to only take what you need for that night of course.

I cant wait to hear back from the Demod, posted above who is going for a few dives to check out the ecological health of the reefs. Choice one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AndreNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:20pm
AndreNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just thought I would shed some light on this situation if anyone is interested. I've had some experience with this kind of stuff. Not sure why nobody here figured this one out.

Anyway the facts are:
The access to this beach from the DOC campground (or anywhere) is 100% public. You are not crossing any private land. As proven by the photo below.
This beach is fully 100% a public beach
The beach access gate is public property (although it was likely installed privately) and cannot legally be controlled privately

I've meet the local maori property owners up there and the gate is administered by them privately however it is illegal to block access to a legal road. Beaches are considered roads so if it is not the council that has blocked access to all, it is illegal blockage. If you bolt cut the locks and drove up and down there all year you couldn't get in any legal trouble. You could probably even bulldoze the thing down and it would be fine.

There is a small area of the main drive in road that hasn't been formed as a public access road so if the property owner(s) tried to stop people driving down it the council would jump in and make it official legal access without a doubt.

Why don't fishermen get together more and stand up for their rights and not let people take access away illegally like this is so silly. We should be more organised. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:26pm
AndreNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also if you wondered why DOC have allowed this, if you've been up there in the last 3 years you'd probably have noticed the DOC new staff running the campground. They are relatives of the surrounding land (and I know this because I spoke to them). They are just kicking anyone not family off their playground, you can't blame them for doing it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:30am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A number of my mates have endeavoured to force their way through to the beach, in some instances using bolt-cutters. Each occasion was meet with threats, if not indeed acts of violence. We have had families who have been so intimidated by stand-over tactics by horse-riding members of the so-called owners that they have cut short their holidays and taken refuge in safer accommodation.
Not a great way to start a day's fishing nor a great way to welcome tourists.
Why don't us locals just force our way? Because we would have to leave a shore party to safe-guard our vehicles while fishing, and afterwards, live in the same area as these fools.
So thank you for the legal stuff but there is a very active lot that take no notice of it.
Unless you wish to supply weaponry.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its BS
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wouldn't let anyone tell me I cant go somwhere im legally allowed to be. Had a few dickhead landowners over the years try tell me I wasn't allowed to be where I was. I just laugh at them, tell them they are stupid and carry on fishing. Had a few threaten me with violence but they all eventually leave when u just laugh at them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:13pm
AndreNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by corosanta corosanta wrote:

A number of my mates have endeavoured to force their way through to the beach, in some instances using bolt-cutters. Each occasion was meet with threats, if not indeed acts of violence. We have had families who have been so intimidated by stand-over tactics by horse-riding members of the so-called owners that they have cut short their holidays and taken refuge in safer accommodation.
Not a great way to start a day's fishing nor a great way to welcome tourists.
Why don't us locals just force our way? Because we would have to leave a shore party to safe-guard our vehicles while fishing, and afterwards, live in the same area as these fools.
So thank you for the legal stuff but there is a very active lot that take no notice of it.
Unless you wish to supply weaponry.

You know it wouldn't take much. If you had someone dedicated to this and a few people who cared enough you can easily pursue the Northland council and they would sort the situation out. Given the likelihood that the north council is their relatives then you can complain to the Auckland council and they will step in. The eventual result would be either access for ALL or no access for anyone. 
Page  12>