Anchor Warp

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:48pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Steps] Noticing that my warp is sort of getting twists as well.
 I use a capstan and its laid side to side semi coils rather in round coil.
Its just getting to the stage laying it  it doesnt lay as well. Thinking about pulling it out lay it down the drive and un twist it soon.

Edit : there was a mention of reversing as best practice above somewhere..
 maybe just reversing would also reverse the twists.. and if does would mean it may last longer between becoming a nuance???

maybe is a reason why they should be reversed??

When I got it, it was second hand, and a bit tatty, so I reversed it..
It's been a couple of years now.
I've also had issues with the splice loosening up..time to do it again.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:31am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did not realise I may have opened such a "can of worms".

Krow: I live at Urquarts Bay whangarei Heads and the rope parted in the "rip" at the entrance. Not too worried about the retrieval but thanks for the offer.

PJC: I have a mate with the yellow warp you refered to. Have been fishing with him regularly for a long time and the warp would have been there for at minimum 20 years (I should know as I am the one hauling it in ) . Not sure of its type but it has surely lasted the distance over many years of use.

Had a look around and there seen to be some reasonable deals available on nylon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've also had issues with the splice loosening up..time to do it again.
Thats usually caused by the initial splice should have a couple more tucks, and/ or the tucks not pulled thru and splice rolled well under foot when finished before trimming tags.

Its the rolling that sets the splice which also makes foe a small diameter when pulled thru on each tuck.
 Once rolled ..then unravel the tags  trim but not right back then burn /melt the furry remains... and roll to extinguish/ form good finish if melting.

I picked this stuff up with the old man and in scouts early 60s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:56pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I’m a scout leader, I try to teach the kids how to do splices, whipping and knots and they don’t want to know. It’s boring they say. What I tell them is it may save your life or someone else’s one day. But I’ve got one step ahead of them now, I Chomecast Animated knots of my IPad to a TV because it’s on a device they seem to pay more attention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny how knots /splicing isn't important anymore. Until you need one.
Who you gonna call?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:12am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have read on cruising forums that when nylon starts getting stiff from age and salt water you can wash it.

I think in warm water and detergent but It's been many years since I read it..mr google may help. (saltaway may be the go)

Anyway supposed to soften it up again assuming it was ok to start it's life.

These are all reasons I went to 8 strand braided.

Alan there is absolutely no use for knots in the virtual world bro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I Chomecast Animated knots

Suggestion have a look at a app  knots 3D  paid

Has a special Scouts section

Have given to 3 of the grandchildren on their chome books
They are in cubs scouts.. daughter (their mum) is a leader
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Alan there is absolutely no use for knots in the virtual world bro!

Maybe we will be doing virtual knots in the future. That should secure my virtual boat real well.
If they can't tie knots how is the next generation going to fish? Buy pre rigged gear?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:50pm
Silver
Silver

Na! Just rely on good old SeaLord or maybe virtual fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:13pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How many time here, have people seen boats come in tied up.. well meant to be.. and drift away.
Or people have no idea how to drop a couple coils over a post to make a clove hitch?
Or even know which way aroun a cleat the 1st turn goes to form what id basically a clove hitch aound the cleat

or know what a cleat is?
Tie basic .. essential knots like a bowline or alpine.
 Even shoes dont have laces..
And if do know how to tie laces so they dont come undone..

The later used to be my 1st lesson to parents at the 1st soccer practice when I used to coach.
 And for those who dont know.. the lace knot undoes from the bottom not the top, because of foot movement in the boot/ shoe...which means the laces need to be pulled up tight.. from the bottom lace eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:48pm
Silver
Silver

I learnt to the all the essential knots in Scouts back in the late 60’s early 70’s if we didn’t get it right Skip used to give us a swift kick in the butt. Back then you payed attention otherwise you got a clip around the ear. Then in the Navy as a seaman same thing, I’m getting out of scouts at the end of this year as there is to much PC B/S you might hurt their feelings. I do a height safety refresher course every 2 years for my job and every time I end up helping the instructor on the practical stuff because the dip ****s can’t tie a figure 8 knot which is what they use nowadays. But I still use bowlines and alpine butterflies on my safety lines, plus I won’t use a safety line if someone else ties the knots. My line my knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 5:12pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"My line my knots."

Exactly same for my fishing gear.  Same reason I don't run my lures on other peoples gear anymore. But if I had a rope my life depended on, it would be my knots too. For sure.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scouts back in the late 60’s early 70’s ......

....I’m getting out of scouts at the end of this year as there is to much PC B/S you might hurt their feelings.

That stuff started around '68 with  from memory  the " new look"
 Change uniforms.. The kaki was too military.. took away all my hard earned lanyards, sheath knife that went with the uniform up into ventures..
 Then local council though it prudent to build a pub car park over the scout den.. a group that had 2 cub packs  and 3 scout troops (4 patrols each) a venture and rovers groups.

My line my knots.
That was the std back then.. cant tie tie you dont bloody go..
can’t tie a figure 8 knot which is what they use nowadays
 That the old  reef knot?.. renamed?

They have no idea how to lace boots either.. so boot can be laid open , or dropped off in a single motion of a knife..

Or sharpen said knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 2:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

figure 8 and reef knot 2 different knots, f8 used a stopper so rope wont pull out of pulley,reef knot to join 2 equal dia ropes together .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats what I thought...one of the grandchildren was calling a reef a square cause of the even shape before pulled up...as per told at scouts..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We where talking about the professional instruction thing last night over a BBQ gathering...1 person being being a school teacher of some decades out door experience in bush and rock faces.
He has to go to saftey instruction thing for the school.
 His opinion of the professional instruction is they are straight out of the book, no actual experience under stress, and far too often down right dangerous.
We just got to look back at those school children  (and families) that got 'caught out' and drowned in central nth island a few yrs ago...
Couldnt or didnt even check forecast for heavy rain the the hills behind..And those rains where predicted , on time 5 days before....
 All under professional safety guidance....
Basic basic stuff.
 And seems back to the same old now, accidents waiting to happen..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:45am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

to many relying on app things,no understanding how to read a map/chart,
Scouting today is a child minder sercice,most kids do not want to learn,i dropped out as cub leader 6yrs ago

You cant talk to my child like that."well they need to show respect" Oh it raining  and you are going camping."Yep its life" 
You are irresponsible letting them cook on a fire.Why if they get burnt lesson learnt and need to listen to instructions.

What do we want to that for ? this boring . etc

No wonder some youth are where they are today.Parents!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I really do understand where you are coming from... Then we moved down here, 300m from the edge of Auckland..
 And the kids are very different...extremely very different.. including a different shape  (O to I shape)
 And so are the parents...except a handful who moved down to give the children a better life, and dont let them have it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 8:24pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to this...
I went to redo my splice tonight, and found this...
I'm a bit over it, I want to try braided rope..
Anyone in Hamilton a wizz on splicing braid?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 10:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

look it up on you tube Dave. I have found the hardest part is starting it. It's pretty obvious when you get it right. I do my own splicing and I'm kind of knot dyslexic. It takes me hours of practice to perfect. The problem is I don't do enough splicing to remember it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <123>