Horizontal Jigging for Kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontal Jigging for Kingfish
    Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 12:46pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No1 son John has brought this technique over from South Australia where they chase kings up shallow creeks and get into some really big ones. John has been using this technique from the boat with spectacular results. Yesterday we had 2 on board and a smaller rat in   20  minutes where other boats nearby using stickbaits got nothing.

Here is a well edited video showing some land based action. Its a nice easy relaxed style of jigging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtAoc_6-Xiw
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 3:31pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds great, but can you check that link please? Won't work for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:21pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like.
Have done it.
Didn't realise that's what they called it.
Though I prefer his jig and can see why.

Thanks
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:09am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He outfished my other son who was using a stickbait 15 to 2 in a debated contest a few months ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do something similar with epoxy jigs from Hogy, although I didn't know the technique had a name. Epoxy is good because it casts well, but doesn't sink as fast as lead, so useful in shallow water. I see the method as a cross between jigging and stickbaiting. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:52pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plenty of shore jigging videos out there from Japan, targeting a variety of fish.

Good option when its a bit slow on the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:43pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting.  Something new for me to try.  Goddamitall - need more time on this planet to try all these things
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:32pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

used to do it much to the abuse and discust of people off Mangonui and Houhora Whalf  as a young fella some 25-30 years ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Both sons took out joker for a late afternoon/evening jigging/stickbailsession in Aucklands inner harbour and Rangitoto channel and landed 4 legalish kings and lost 3 unstoppables ones that reefed them. The nearly caught (got robbed) a big bronze whaler after a hooked kingfish. The jigs definitely outfished the stickbaits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 12:33pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what is difference between stickbait and horizontal jig?
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 12:36pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A jig sinks quickly, a sickbait does not?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly. If you watch the vid, Derek, they're using 200-300g metal jigs cast well away from the boat, sunk to the bottom, and retrieved using a mechanical jig type action - followed after say 10-12 lifts/winds - by a pause and drop, and repeat.

You can get sinking stickbaits, but they typically aren't designed to fish the bottom of the water column in deep water - more like a metre or two under the surface. They are good if you struggle to get the action right with floating stickbaits. Ones I've got zigzag on a straight retrieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:22pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also the jigging style if a more relaxed style than the frantic mechanical jigging style used in deeper water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 2:51pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Also the jigging style if a more relaxed style than the frantic mechanical jigging style used in deeper water. 

Indeed, closer to a stickbait "walk the dog" type motion, or a faster slow-pitch. Can certainly see benefits to covering more area.

Obviously the rods used are closer to a stickbait rod to get range on the cast... but interested to know whether a high-speed top-water style spinning reel is preferred, or a slower PG style as favoured for mechanical jigging?