Mounting transducer/s

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting transducer/s
    Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 11:23am
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone used the SternMate transducer mounting system (http://www.sternmate.com/index.html) or made their own similar product?
I like the idea of having the t/ducer further back avoiding the turbulence.

All comments/options welcome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having banged my head setting up transducers on older planing hull boats , designed in the days where sounders where way out of the affordable band for the aver rec fisherman.
 And on a couple more modern hulls
 Fixing further back on both will make no different unless traveling slow, off the plain.  And when off the plain the transducer is so deep air doesnt get trapped and run along under the hull ..

And if going fast enough, on the plain, thats getting up around the 19/20mph speed.. I can not see that any bubbles trapped will be coming up before the transducer, and dont on the older design hulls
 Sound good but from a heap of messing around , just doesnt add up.
 A modern hull, they are generally designed to have an area where air doesnt get trapped for transducers
 Older hulls trapped air to reduce friction (well that was the theory (???) and need transducers placement and mounting lower.
 This then causes a secondary issue.. water mist around the engine which is very bad long term for the engine.. And in some cases the mist/ spray gets sucked back into the deck/ cabin area with crew getting wet backs.

Soln a cover to catch the spray / mist and stop rising..

Another issue maybe making the transducer more prone to being hit, caught on stuff, launching , beaches , reversing up etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 6:31pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi,
Transom mounting transducers are problematical.
There are a myriad of issues.

I can help you set it up if your Auckland based.

If not.
I suppose I could sit down and give a detailed formula that still requires regular tweaking.

But it's a learning curve of fine adjustments and transducer positioning.
And you still have to learn your head unit in high familiarity to gain the best out of both components.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdAstra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:30pm
AdAstra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks to both of you. Always get good gen from this site (well, most of the time)
Don't live in Akl (used to). Now in Hawkes Bay.
My t/ducer operates OK. I set them deeper than recommended and get a good sonar reception. Had issues getting angle etc just right.
Then decided I was not interested in whats down down there while transiting but get perfect picture when I poke around at low speed.
Have ordered new 500W TD to add a bit more power on the Garmin Striker (have 2 sets using the Lowrance as chart-plotter).
Again thanks for the input. I'll leave transducers as they areThumbs Up