If you were wanting a sword!?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:38pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legacy, that's excellent pics.

Are you hull ortransom mounted with your transducer.

Alan,

You are getting great views. The time you guys have spent focusing your gear can only be rewarding.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:03pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That was a transom mounted 265lm. We had a bite fishing on the bottom when I took that first pic. With what I’ve learnt since I’d work the bait through the sign at 400 and 600m too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have had my trust p66 down to 1400m.  I have upgraded my head unit and also my transducer to a TM260 but have not dialed it in properlly yet.  Swords are hard to pull in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:13pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

I have had my trust p66 down to 1400m.  I have upgraded my head unit and also my transducer to a TM260 but have not dialed it in properlly yet.  Swords are hard to pull in.

That’s amazing depth with a p66!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go American,

All electric 600lb and the results will Be a 50 kg sword yahoo.

Thank Christ we still have a generation of men in this country though sadly dissapering fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That rod looks like it is about to break.
Should I show you my broken rod collection?
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Legacy - what do you think that sign is. It is very similar to what we found one day on home from sword drop (and bottom fish). Our sign was quite strong (more marked than that) at 250-300. About halfway up the water column. Dropped a bait but not for long - 10k home on a 40k trip. A distinct tight band in the column. Any ideas? Squid?
Alan

1kw low chirp out from the Manukau, you can see a few fish at different depths .
Had the gain up higher but dropped it to get a clear blue screen for the photo !
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:53pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To be honest I’m not sure - I know there are squid out there, we fished for them when we were drifting through night one time but only about 20-30m down .
With the gain up higher I was marking more individual red blobs and not a continuous line more a broken line at that depth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like I said earlier, a trawler was working the same area we found that sign. Not a coincidence I am sure. What would they be trawling for at mid water 250-300m?
Do they trawl for squid? Do they trawl that deep?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tuna? We do get them at 17 deg - but minimum. And it will be much colder down there. prob not tuna. Doesn't leave a lot?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5 years ago I wrecked an extremely hot bite at the King Bank by hauling in a dead stripie which took me 4 1/2 hours and nearly killed me.
Done my share of 'hero' captures. Next time will hand the rod over after 30 minutes. 71 and have no desire to entertain a swordie!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:40pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

… What would they be trawling for at mid water 250-300m?
Do they trawl for squid? Do they trawl that deep?
Alan

Some years ago the greenies and other interested parties successfully prevented one of the world's largest super trawlers from operating in Australia waters. As I recall they planned to mid-water trawl targeting Redbait and Jack Mackerel. Mid-water trawling in 250-300m is not a problem. Bottom trawls can trawl in 1000-2000m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Holy crap. Then they prob were trawling that band we could see. Maybe Jack Mac. Was near mid summer - prob 19 deg surface temp. Do they trawl for squid? Birds were following the trawler so we followed it for a while, but really ran out of time.
We don't get a lot of Jack Mac, but wouldn't rule it out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:09pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

... Do they trawl for squid? ...
Alan

They sure do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0rAGJCoVg

Birds will follow most trawlers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:39am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Then my money is on that. That bait would def be worth pursuing. We may have been looking in the wrong place for a sword that day. We have caught squid - on the sword hook, drifting baits at 5-600m.
Looks like they trawl for anything. And at 1-2000m , nothing is safe.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:32pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

5 years ago I wrecked an extremely hot bite at the King Bank by hauling in a dead stripie which took me 4 1/2 hours and nearly killed me.
Done my share of 'hero' captures. Next time will hand the rod over after 30 minutes. 71 and have no desire to entertain a swordie!
FishB8 - I hear you. I am catching you up Fast.
I try to be selective what I end up hooked on to. But I have a good mate who is about 10-15 yrs younger on for anything. Still thinks he is a spring chicken. Wants a sword - among other things.
But I have to say had another guy on the boat couple of yrs ago - did 4 hrs on stand-up gear on a marlin - 12 kg drag. 70 yrs old.  Hats off to him. Solid effort. He finally had to hand over to the younger whipper snapper - previous guy I mentioned.
There are still real men out there Mattoo. Some of them on my boat.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:08am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They are very impressive results from a P66.
Any chance you could talk us through the settings you get those results with.
Your post update pic is about what I could best hope for
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 2:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Supermodel - I am not at the boat right now - give me a week or so.
What head unit are you running - the settings may not equate to a different unit.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It may not be Alan but insights to tuning any brand of gear is useful for us all.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:05pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

cheers Alan
I have a Simrad evo3. Have run similar generation Lowrance to yours in the past and had nowhere near the depth you are getting. As Mattoo says it’s good general info to know about, 
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Page  <123>