Kawhia Comp Rocks! Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kawhia Comp Rocks! Mokau...
    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:44am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Had a phone call last Wednesday Night from another Forum Member-Feeder, Denniss Colson that there was a few people withdrawing from The two day Snapper Kasha Comp on the Friday and Saturday due to conditions. So tickets were available after i tried unsuccessfully to get a couple earlier. Entered Myself and brother Mick, and hit the beach daybreak on Friday. After twenty minutes before a lull in the break we finally got out in an ugly but smooth sea at the time. Half an hour later we were back in as the forcasted strong westerly kicked in early and we had a rough old ride back to beach!. Day two we settled in again on daybreak, not flash conditions but doableThumbs UpCut off time was mid day so we could get cleaned up and off to weigh in at Kawhia by 4.30. After three hours we only had a couple of Snaps around Five Kgs before I finally got a contender. A nice 9.05 kg Snap and a good Kahawhai. That was it and off my wive Heidi and I went to Kawhia. Mick decided not to go as his best Snap wasn't big enough. I managed to get First place which I didn't expect as the weights were down on previous years due to the tough conditions. The Kahawai also picked up a minor place. Great Comp and organization, hope to fish it again next year. Pic of myself with Snap. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:51am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top effort Geoff!Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:01am
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gold mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 9:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just no stopping you Geoff.well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 11:35am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done,  wind conditions have been bad for Raglan area so kept us away from the bar,
Very nice fish and no doubt worth the effort you put in Clap
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Well done,  wind conditions have been bad for Raglan area so kept us away from the bar,
Very nice fish and no doubt worth the effort you put in Clap
Thanks tjm. Was pretty bad here particularly Friday I should of never gone out, but the extra incentive of a comp we made a bad choice. We were glad once we hit the beach after  battling big whitecaps in, as the wind got up so quickly. Scary in a 3.6 metre boat.Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 11:00am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work Geoff, Fridays conditions were less than ideal, we did get outside, the bar was ok but it was a slog out to 55m, pulled the pin after 20 snaps as the wind was certainly 15 knots + and the anchor rope was talking to us, went back into the shelter of Albatross Bay, intercepted some of Smudges carrots, a couple over a kg each.

Checked my flash new phone while there and it said I had done 14500 steps when I had my arse glued to the seat over a 2 hour period.

Saturday was much of the same, couldn't improve on 5.2 for snaps however plenty of good eaters.

Certainly a very popular comp, max entries which puts lot of money into the prize pool and the payouts are generous, we were 3rd n 4th gurnard and collected $550 for our troubles

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar