How Times Have Changed

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Times Have Changed
    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:16pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A photo from days gone by. Nowadays, bag limits prohibit this sort of event. A piece of history that I thought may be of interest to forum members. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:36am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The veggie garden needed fertiliser......DisapproveShocked
Sad, but probably true!

Unfortunately a lot of things don't change.......

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 7:48pm
Gold
Gold

You are probably right Jaapie. I remember back in the early 1970s catching a local poacher spearing spawning trout up one of the small creeks at the far end of Lake Rotoiti. He told me that he used them to feed his pigs. He might have been trying to wind me up. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting, Dick.
Here's another slice of history, Feb 1962 - my mum was on holiday at Tarawera and had her photo taken with this unidentified successful angler who'd just got back to shore. I reproduced the photo from a slide for a montage when she passed away.

They look like superb fish. To my eye, the larger of them have to be in the 5kg range. The Tarawera fishery is a shadow of that quality these days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:28pm
Gold
Gold

There was a lot of food in Lake Tarawera in those days and growth rates were phenomenal. I remember weighing a tagged angler caught rainbow from Tarawera in June 1972. The fish weighed 10.25 pounds and was released as a 6 inch fingerling in August 1970. In those days, the biggest trout came from Lake Rotokakahi (Green Lake). The Wildlife Service would not liberate in this lake because the fishing was only available to a few, and not the general public, who through taxes were paying for trout rearing at the Ngongotaha Hatchery. There was limited spawning in the Te Wairoa and any locals caught poaching had justice administered to them by those who fished Rotokakahi. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:37pm
Gold
Gold

That's a wonderful photo Lester, and very special. The Wildlife Service had a hut near the mouth of the Wairua Stream. I remember a case of poaching by cyanide in the Wairua that wiped the entire spawning run out. Hundreds of dead rainbows, mostly big and beautiful, all gone. We had a pool we used to bathe in beside the hut. The Gambusia mosquito fish used to have a fascination for pubic hairs. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

These were the days before the 2004 Tongariro flood.     And we put a lot more back because the limit was down to three.     Taupo needs merciless harvest to keep the fish in good condition.   
Cheers

Rainbow

Can not show picture for some reason???????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:21am
Titanium
Titanium

That's interesting, Rainbow. You know the fishery and the agency behind the management as well as anyone, so I hope someone is listening to you.

Re the image - since the new system came in I've had one image that stubbonly refused to be uploaded, despite everything else working. I can't explain that. I know you've uploaded other images recently with your flies for Rotoiti, so it's not like you don't know how to.
Maybe try 'save as' the image into a different file and see if that works?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 11:17am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@The Tamure Kid

Mate, just check the size of the file you are trying to upload - it may exceed the size limit.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 3:44pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I had my first attempts at trout fishing after moving from Auckland to Dannevirke in the mid 60s my parents gave me a book named Freshwater Admiral by Harold Hickling.  The book mostly covers fishing the Tongariro River and Lake Taupo.  Etched in my memory is the pic below.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

That was the peak of fishing at Taupo, I believe.

Within a few years they began netting because the initial releases ate all the available food and the fish rapidly deteriorated.

I think only the introduction of smelt from the Waikato River saved the fishery?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

… Within a few years they began netting because the initial releases ate all the available food and the fish rapidly deteriorated.

I think only the introduction of smelt from the Waikato River saved the fishery?

Quite correct. In another section of the book it says that between 1912 and 1916 the lake was netted and 65,000 fish removed. It goes on to say that koura and smelt were introduced between 1936 and 1938 and that between 1939 and 1941 39,000 koura and 278,500 smelt were liberated into the lake.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the update, very interesting.
A great study in how introducing non-native animals can cause an imbalance in the ecosystem. Then a counter-measure works for a while, before unintended consequences occur.

From what Rainbow is saying, 'we're now in the post-boom situation again, and with no way to drastically increase the level of food, we need to cut the number of fish.

NZ was a guinea pig for the British settlers, everything from gorse to rabbits. Thank god we never got foxes like Australia did.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 7:39pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The major mystery of course is whatever happened to the NZ indigenous grayling that were so populous that they were being commercially netted destined for sale in many city markets before  seemingly disappearing overnight ??????
I have a theory but experiencing difficulty having it readily accepted. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:55pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trout ate them
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Trout ate them

Nope !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Trout ate them

Nope !

Wikipedia would have us believe deforestation and predation, competition and disease from introduced trout likely led to the New Zealand grayling's extinction.
C'mon Bazza, what's your theory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:55am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Trout ate them

Nope !

Wikipedia would have us believe deforestation and predation, competition and disease from introduced trout likely led to the New Zealand grayling's extinction.
C'mon Bazza, what's your theory.
OK ... so long as you promise to remain open minded & don't laugh or scoff at it as so many dyed in the wool skeptics have done ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:02am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Alien theory has been debunked mateClown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

The Alien theory has been debunked mateClown

When the little figure stepped off the ship and said "take me to your leader" the guy fishing at the head of the Major Jones Pool in his tweed jacket and oilskin waders misunderstood and said "40 inches of silkworm gut from Hardy's of London".
Page  12>