Visiting NZ, in Tauranga

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaleStephenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting NZ, in Tauranga
    Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:12am
DaleStephenson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,
I am in NZ for a month from SA, based in Tauranga. Is there anyone who I could follow around while fishing?
Bought a softbait rig and am dying to catch something.....anything!
Thanks
Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:07am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Dale,

I'm landlocked for the next few weeks unfortunately - but I do have a kayak that you could borrow to get you floating along the beach - where anything is possible! I can lend you a life jacket and a few basics also. I'm assuming you're fit enough to handle yourself on a kayak - so bear that in mind as there is an obvious need for some safety considerations when jumping on a kayak...  

Only thing is you'll need a wagon with roof racks to get from my place to the beach...

Or, if you have the time and the desire, you could get down any of the river mouths (ie Kaituna) and cast a spinner (or a bait) which should result in a kahawai or two eventually (bleed them instantly, and cook them the same day - yum!)…

PM me back if you wish,

Speedy

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaleStephenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:26pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Speedy,
Thanks so much for your reply, kayak fishing is all I do in SA!
Unfortunately I have no way of transporting a kayak at the moment, looks like I will have to try the river mouths. Came out for my sons 21st birthay and he has gone back to work so I have plenty of time.
Just hope the bloke at the fishing shop sold me the right stuff.
Again thanks very much for your reply, if you hear of anything coming out from the shore please let me know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:05pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by DaleStephenson DaleStephenson wrote:

Hi Speedy,
Thanks so much for your reply, kayak fishing is all I do in SA!
Unfortunately I have no way of transporting a kayak at the moment, looks like I will have to try the river mouths. Came out for my sons 21st birthay and he has gone back to work so I have plenty of time.
Just hope the bloke at the fishing shop sold me the right stuff.
Again thanks very much for your reply, if you hear of anything coming out from the shore please let me know.

All good Dale - let's see if anyone has an old set of kayak wheels we could borrow...

I'm close enough to the beach that you could walk there, and then just secure the wheels to a fence post with a padlock while you're out...

Anyone??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaleStephenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 7:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

HI Speedy,
Any river mouths you can recommend which are a bit closer?
Thanks
Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:31pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Dale. Private Message sent. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 7:41pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Your fish Dale, you can tell the story. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:15pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

wooohooo! ripper Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaleStephenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

A great day fishing with my 'guide' Dick. Landed this lovely kingfish after being 'owned' as Dick put it.
Lost a nice KawaHai as well.
Great day, great guy.
Thanks so much Dick for letting me tag along! Very good, informative company.
Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:00pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kiwi hospitality at its best. Well done all. A good result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:50am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brilliant!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DaleStephenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,
I spent the last week driving up and down the coastonishing, exploring and fishing. What did I have to show for it.....a number of 6 inch Kawahai.
This morning I ran a few errands and at about 11h30 I ended up near where I had previously been with Dick. The tide was rather low and I was in 2 minds whether to give it a bash or go home, oh well here anyway, may as well give it a try.
Walked out what seemed like a kilometer to the end of the channel, first cast, a follow by a number of large Kahawai. The next few casts brought in 2 Kahawai of around 2 pounds. Nothing for the next 20 or so minutes apart from seeing lots of Rays.
Next moment is see what looks like a very tall Ray, could it be a short tail with 'riders'? I cast my Wobbler out 2 or 3 metres in front of and past the Ray, 2 cranks and a Kingfish absolutely launched himself at my lure hitting and swirling so hard I almost jumped out of my skin! 100 metres of line and 10 minutes later I unhooked him, kissed him goodbye and released him. He was slightly larger than the one I caught with Dick the other day and an absolutely beautiful fish.
Having only caught these fish from my boat off Cape Point in South Africa I am still amazed at the quality of fishing you guys have on your doorstep and from the shore. I leave on Saturday but can assure you I will be back.
Thanks for sharing and the offers of help, I hope to have another session with Dick before I go and maybe catch and release another of your wonderful Kings.
Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fnixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
fnixon View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Dick
After the Lockdown have you got any time to help me out finding fish around Tauranga? Just moved here from a little while ago and am looking to get involved. I'm just starting into fishing and I've got a softbait rod and a surfcasting rod and have been feeding the crabs apparently for the last 3 weeks before lockdown.
Cheers