Horhora and Far North 21 - 25th Nov - tackle pic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horhora and Far North 21 - 25th Nov - tackle pic
    Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:47pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Team Joker and a few other boats and a prominent ski fisher are off for an extended 5 day weekend.

Happy to share our experiences on a quid pro basis for any personal experiences, info, tips etc that may add value to our trip

Our last trip on Anzac weekend here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmw3cq32WjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9sCFCt-98&t=53s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:22am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Team Joker and a few other boats and a prominent ski fisher are off for an extended 5 day weekend.

Happy to share our experiences on a quid pro basis for any personal experiences, info, tips etc that may add value to our trip

Our last trip on Anzac weekend here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmw3cq32WjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9sCFCt-98&t=53s
Joker if it was me travelling to the far North in search of a magical 20lb Snap you mention in videos I would be getting in contact with Houhora fishing Charters straight away for info, spots etc. He's putting clients on them most trips out lately. Facebook. Try Straylining big freshly caught Baits instead of methods your using now as it avoids the pannies of recent trips. Good Luck....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:29am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

will let you know how we get on next week, fishing monday to friday Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:12am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chris, We hope to get up there for around lunch time on Thursday and probably will chill out at the Wharfe in the evenings catching JD and drinking a few - come look us up and maybe catch up on the water on Friday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:40am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

lol between the Hohoura charters media scrum and every fishing show the pressure up here on a very small bit of coast has been emense. dont expect the fishing to be or stay good :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

lol between the Hohoura charters media scrum and every fishing show the pressure up here on a very small bit of coast has been emense. dont expect the fishing to be or stay good :)
There's hundreds of km's up there to explore fishing with or without a boat. I don't believe a minute its packed everywhere. Last time up there we dragged a Dingy through the estuary on to Spirits Bay beach then out to sea. Caught plenty of big Snaps, let most go as the camp was near empty and no one to give them to. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:44pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Chris, We hope to get up there for around lunch time on Thursday and probably will chill out at the Wharfe in the evenings catching JD and drinking a few - come look us up and maybe catch up on the water on Friday.

well that sounds like a plan! We will hopefully have some intel to share by then - if the weather and fishings gods play ball. May have a thirst by then after all that time in the sun LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking forward to hearing the reports guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:01pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only 2 more sleeps now and the weather gods look to be playing nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:33pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

swell map isn't showing much but there it a pretty good swell running today. I was surprised.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:12pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tackle - we keep adding stuff ... just in case.

All bases covered now

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:01am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quick report while we have some coverage

Wind has not been playing ball 35 knots yesterday sent us home early. Have stayed close to Houhora round to Henderson Bay

Fishing has been slow In told they are spawning. Best have been close to the headlands and some good solid snaps and a huge Trevally that put up a real fight I thought he was going to spool me and was just getting ready to back the boat up 😂

A big Parore JDs Parrotfish - lots of different species but the snaps up to 70 cm but waiting for the bigger one.

Lots of locals in the bait and Berley we are still persistent on the softies and lures.

Tight lines!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:07pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

far enough there is alot of coast, big problem is that   I and many other locals don't appreciate an massive numbers of boats that drive right up to your fishing spot, roaring this way and that. pulling anchor every 3o mins, it pretty annoying really - makes the fishing less pleasant and less productive.  With so much coast you would think all the boats would move and not congregate...  This is no doubt that many including 4 TV shows have been broadcasting the place and others.   In other news the bite from all I have talked to including myself has been pretty slow.. Oh there was once commercial slaying the 25cm snaps of tok the other day. lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 7:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

far enough there is alot of coast, big problem is that   I and many other locals don't appreciate an massive numbers of boats that drive right up to your fishing spot, roaring this way and that. pulling anchor every 3o mins, it pretty annoying really - makes the fishing less pleasant and less productive.  With so much coast you would think all the boats would move and not congregate...  This is no doubt that many including 4 TV shows have been broadcasting the place and others.   In other news the bite from all I have talked to including myself has been pretty slow.. Oh there was once commercial slaying the 25cm snaps of tok the other day. lol

Sounds Fustraiting alright jake, but thats how most people fish, if no bites or action they move quickly. And if they hear on radio someones catching they make a bee line for thereLOL Take the Comp for instance I just posted on. 300 odd anglers,  every report you read on Westcoast fishing says go fish at 50-60 metres is where its at. so Thats where everyone fishes. your talking ten plus miles out. Its exactly the same here in Mokau. On Sunday my Mate Aaron who I taught how to Catch them in close got three over 20 lbs, all boats he talked to back at ramp fishing at 50 metres small fish, yet most of them would love to get one decent Snap. Its just the way its always been, This big boat mentality the deeper you go out West the bigger the fish is the complete opposite in my opinion on how to successfully target a Big Snap.Beer