Gone in 30 seconds

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gone in 30 seconds
    Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:59am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This morning - if you cant bring a fish home then at least get the video to prove you hooked something ...

oh forgot to say - after 30 seconds it is just me winding all the line back on th reel Tongue
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Oh dear Maybe ultralight season has finished for the year Did you get your fly back or was it a bust-off ? Well done on the hook-up anyway
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:17pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh mate, what a bugger. What was it Wolfie? You might have lost the fish, but you kept the experience. Better than a day with no action. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:49pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any idea what it was, looked like you were in with a chance?  What failed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 2:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty sure it was a ray - the take was an odd slow weight then by the time I got the camera switched on the fish decided something was wrong and took off. 

Frankly I didnt want to get spooled as have some old Cortland micron 10 kg backing that may have a real strength close to the leader breaking strain. So I locked the spool and it it broke at the fly (tied with an improved clinch knot ( usually about 90% rating).

Overall gave me a boost in confidence about how much the outfit can handle.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:24pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff Wolfie. I found it a big help to get to know the ultra light gear by tying the leader to something solid and leaning back. I only use 3 pound and 4 pound leaders on my #3 outfits and it is very surprising the pressure you can apply without breaking the leader. For backing, I use 150 metres of 15 pound braid and because I am only using light leaders, I use a simple surgeon's loop to connect the backing to the fly line. This connection has never let me down and big kahawai have taken me 75 metres into the backing. Eagles present a number of problems , but I did land one on 4 pound leader on a #4 outfit after a long and careful fight. I look forward to your next visit. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:14pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL.

Crack up Mark!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

I only use 3 pound and 4 pound leaders on my #3 outfits and it is very surprising the pressure you can apply without breaking the leader.  

Two reasons for the 6 kg leader:

I was targeting snapper and I've lost good fish here on lighter line as their teeth sometimes abrade the line during the fight.

Also I  lost my light tippet spools ...Angry
The Auckland Swoffer