Avet reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avet reels
    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:59pm
Smacks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys. Any shops selling Avet reels?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 9:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try http://www.madfin.co.nz/

Site is currently down. I hope it's only temporary.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 9:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can go “charkbait” if you like and want to buy avet reels - found them reliable although was better when our nz dollar was higher. When you take into account they’ll spool reel and sometimes offer a free gift - like the awesome drag scales- ... it still a reasonable deal.
Are they as as good as slightly more expensive Japanese made or Chinese, Malaysian Shimano or Diawa reel for money is a different question I can not answer. But I’ ll try, answer is probably not , and have both USA and Asian reels. New penn stuff is possibly better value sold by local tackle shops here , importing in bulk but Asian made. Depends if you want to support American made or not , I guess.?
Have an avet reel sign on my boat - looks cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 6:16am
Smacks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks. Looking at the Avet because its one of the few lever drag reels that can be cast and that is fitted with mag control. Perhaps some other lever drags out there worth considering that has build with casting in mind?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 6:31am
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't penn fathoms have a lever drag option. I don't own a fathom but have used the smaller star drag version. Really good reels. If the lever drag fathom is similar in size to the star then i would have a look at them. Think they would be around $300.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 6:38am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got my first of Swordfish Steve years ago.

My second I purchased off ebay. Its been a while and I had to go through tons to find someone who would ship for a fair price. It used to vary from $25.00 - $100!

I jig with one on my lighter jig rod which is my most used. Caught dozens of decent fish up to about 30kg and had no problems with the reels ever.

In comparison my big accurate likes to have new bearings pretty often for some reason and gets 1/4 of the use if that...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 9:39am
Smacks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can someone assist with some contact details for Madfin?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 4:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Smacks Smacks wrote:

Hi guys. Any shops selling Avet reels?

Try Swordfish SteveThumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 5:58pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Melton Tackle if you care to go international

https://www.meltontackle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Avet+reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 1:46pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I received an email from Melton Tackle today advising that they currently have a sale on all Avet reels - 10% off if that is of any interest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 3:26pm
Smacks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. Had one on order from tackledirect, but cancelled after I manage get hold of Cam from madfin. Much cheaper through him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:55pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Smacks Smacks wrote:

Thanks. Looking at the Avet because its one of the few lever drag reels that can be cast and that is fitted with mag control. Perhaps some other lever drags out there worth considering that has build with casting in mind?

the Maxel Transformer in sizes F30CH, F50CH have mag cast control.  These are refined twin drag reels with monster performance.  Generally available from good tackle stores.
give it death!