Another Fly Rod Project

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Fly Rod Project
    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:30am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a couple of old late '60s/early '70s Fenwick Feralite FF116 fly rods that I still use. One has a removable cap in the reel seat that gives access to the shaft. Our Kilwell built Fenwick rods did not have a fighting butt, while in the US, some of the heavier Feralites had a removable fighting butt that could be slid up inside the shaft when required. I'm planning to build one but need an unwanted/surplus to requirements fibreglass fly rod butt section. If anyone has a broken or unwanted suitable fibreglass fly rod butt section, I am keen to hear from you. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:35am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Id just pop along to your local tackle shop.  There are always a bunch of broken rods they usually have lying around.  Iv seen my local a few times for sections to repair other rods, or make up a to play with the cat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Fraser. I really need the butt section  of a glass fly rod to get as close as possible to the internal taper of my FF116. It's got to be a tight fit.  Nothing so far at the shops I've checked. I had an old one that would have been perfect but took up the challenge and repaired it to a useable rod. If I can't find a suitable piece of glass, I will be visiting the Kilwell factory next month so will sort it out there. Very keen to bend the old Fenwick glass on a king. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe try emailing CTS?  Since they do a lot of fiberglass blanks they might have something to suit?

If you measure the ID/OD you need with a pair of calipers to get an exact sizing they might have something floating around that they can post to you.  Just remember to cut the piece at a point in the taper that's slightly too large, then sand down with very fine sandpaper till it form a nice tight fit. 

Since its in the butt, and im assuming completely hidden, does it have to be fiberglass?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:28pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Fraser. I'd prefer to use a length of fibreglass to keep the set up pure glass. I don't want the project to be expensive and I can wait. I do appreciate your input and appreciate your replies. Just getting a bit of practice in before I tackle the Epic Bandit kit.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:02pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,
I’ve got some bits of fibre glass loafing around in my garage from some spinning rod projects EX Kilwell SB7 pieces like Fraser says just give me the inside diameter of the butt section I’m assuming that’s where it’s going and how long you need and I’m sure I can help. The SB7 was a nice slow tapering blank that bent along the whole length, used to use it for fishing 1Kg back in the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:00pm
Gold
Gold

Many thanks Fishinmad1, appreciate your reply. Private message has been sent. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Iv had a look through the old rod pile and I think iv found something that might be suitable Mudfish.  Its a Fenwick in the right colour.  An old FF858, so an 8# rod.   Check the ID you need and il check if this one is close to the size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:25pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

post up the ID/OD Dick,
got a heap of glass and carbon tube at work
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:48pm
Gold
Gold

The internal diameter at the butt of the rod shaft is 13.6mm, and I would need about nine inches each side of this with a typical fly rod taper. It's a big rod probably more of a #11. If you go to the Fibreglass Flyrodders Forum and put Fenwick FF9130 into the site search box at the bottom of the page, you will see an image of what I am trying to make. The old FF116 is a beast. Certainly felt good today with a king on the end, even though the bend only remained with me for three minutes. Cheers guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:40pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alrighty,  im on it
get back to ya on Tuesday evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:54pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Adam. Very much appreciated. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I had a look, and unfortunately the thickness part of either of these two is about 12.2mm so still a fair way shot of being thick enough for what you need mate.

Sorry I wasn't of any help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 3:14pm
Gold
Gold

Not a problem Fraser, I appreciate the thought. Yeah, it's a big hole in the end of the shaft. If you Fenwick butt is in good condition, I would be hunting for a tip.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 5:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alright,
ive got a length for ya,

400mm long, 14.05mm od at one end,13.55mm od at other end.
2.3mm wall thickness,

Pm us your adress, and ill get it couriered to ya from the MRs work.

Cher
Adam

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 6:28pm
Gold
Gold

Many thanks Adam. Private message sent. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:55am
Platinum
Platinum

Great work Adam!! Such a top bloke! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:59am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup what a good bstd!Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 5:58pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you guys wait till i send the invoice!

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Talking smack with the forum crew = 250hr
Sifting through pile of old rods = 2hr
Packaging rod parts = 2hr
Shipping costs = $9
Hourly rate  = $185hr

Total  = $46,999
Being a good bugger discount = -$46,990
Grand Total = $9

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL