Outboard support during long road trips?

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 10:53pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

MATTOO, once again, I’m using a support. It’s a plastic wedge that goes in the tilt ram to hold the motor at the correct height. That’s the support that is recommended. It was reiterated several times by the dealer to never use the service bracket when towing, for exactly the reasons above. That’s for a 2018 Mercury 115. I can’t comment for any other brand. What I can say with absolute certainty is that if I used the stand, and cracked the casting, I’d be seriously out of pocket as Mercury would not cover it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:37am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ID ask more does anyone not use one. No way I rely on the pins. My mate a yamaha tech and my uncle a diesel marine mechanic both said use a bracket.

I dont consider them a service bracket, more a hydraulics saver bracket long term???? You attach them only when you are taking it to get servced...... wat the

Think about all that bouncing its doing, even 1km to the boatramp, over speed bumps, let alone a 200km+ trip.

My yammy tech mate welded one together for my last 3cyl tiller steer out of ally square tubing. Simply attached to the trailer with one end and to the leg under one of the cavitation humps up top of leg with rubber on each end, engine is locked into place with weight on so it cant move. and then a small winch strap around leg back to both sides of trailer to make sure the leg stays firm, although I honestly dont think movement upward from bumps to be the issue with the hydraulic lock but just do it to be safe. To be honest on a small 50hp the hydraulics were fairly shot, prob from some the original owner not using one. Pretty much the same set up everyone else uses.

I cant see how damage can occur if the leg is locked down onto the support? Only way that could happen is the leg lock failure and it bouncing, but likely the support would fall away first and you would hear bottom of leg scraping on the freeway......

Or somebody forgot to lock it in place and attach the precautionary downward force strap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

This is my solution - nice and easy done.

That’s awesome! So do you have the hyds up just below that in case the strop moves? I’ll have to see if that will work for the glass boat.

The purchase I’m looking at is about 600k drive home so want to help the mounts out as much as possible.

No point in fighting over the terms boys. I have used the maint bracket for all my trips. But was wondering if that’s the normal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:07am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, it's a bit of a belt and braces approach so if the hydraulics fail the belt supports it and Gives it additional support. Anyway you look at it, it works
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:35pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a Mercury manual.
Conflicting or informative you decide.sorry wrong order.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 6:42pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I assume the manufacturer and the dealers will say to avoid towing with the motor on the bracket, to avoid any liability in warranty claim.

I personally assume the risk is minimal, for short distances; providing I drive carefully - ie very slowly over bumps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah legastream,
Seems like lawyer and insurance speak.

This manipulation is prefaced with 20 pages of warranty awareness.
And this section is in the boat handlers responsibility section.

This is really a distraction from the basic principle of engineered support and the high risk of unexpected hydraulics failure.

The triangle support supplied for the hydraulics relies on a tiny footprint of triangulation of a fixed mechanical and hydraulic pressure support.
It applies undue load for hydraulics and extreme limitations capabilities of a fixed small narrow gauged support.

When one increases the triangular support fifty times it's footprint the resulting support effort and capability is multiplied to excess of its needs.
This also reduces impact on its hydraulics load and pivoting bearing or hinge point.
This seems straightforward and it is.

This overall has been my point to raise.
It is as always for me just my opinion.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:51am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have to admit I use the service bracket and hydraulics combined, so lower motor on service brackets, but not hard down. All as advised by dealer on Yamaha 150 4s. And I'm not that happy with it, so based on this discussion may look for an after market support

Related but similar..
What's best practice for steering while towing. I have been told have it hard over to one side, rather than motor straight ahead so (hydraulic) steering is not taking the bounces as well??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont have hydraulic steering, I put my motor over to the side.
I drop the motor (johnson) on the travel bracket....
 For long trips I tie the motor secure.. in principle like Jokers straps above..
 Not for the trim hydraulics (taken care of by the travel bracket) but to take bump loading off the tilt support bushes

Quote from the Johnson Service and Repair manual 90, 115,135,175 hp

"Trailering Bracket and Tilt Support
Use the trailering bracket to support the outboard when trailering in the tilted position. This bracket protects the hydraulic system from damage"

I also not these engines also have a tilt support for mooring in the 50 or 73 deg position. I think this maybe the Johnson equivalent to the "maintenance bracket" of other makes (???)

" IMPORTANT:
(upper case and bold type is in the manual)
The tilt support must not be used to support the outboard while trailering"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 9:56am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not all tilt support brackets are the same.
The ones with a bent folded piece of metal welded on to a small shaft, won't last long if used while towing.
One of mine is broken, and the previous owner had then switched to using a block around the tilt ram shaft, which I have continued to use.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <123