Haines V198

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lewshis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haines V198
    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Lewshis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,
Im looking for some advice on the best way to install some pedestal seasts in my V198. I have removed the boxes the old seats were mounted on & filled the screw holes. see picture.
What is the best way to screw or bolt the pedestal to the floor?
one idea would be to install an inspection port either on front or behind where the pedestal is to go, allowing me to use bolts & timber on the underside.
good or bad idea?
any advice here appreciated
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did similar in our 5.5m  Sea nymph
Im pretty sure the floor construction is similar to the SN .. glassed ply with buoyancy chambers below.
 Confirm this with members here
 Betty poop and Big Dave.

Yep seal the old holes.. I used epoxy and counter sunk screws.

Then put a lot time into positioning the seats, espec the helm... for me. easy to stand, turn , can see, good helm and engine controls etc.. right down to the last mm.
 I did make a 'mistake' repowered and moved the engine controls slightly.. which means sometimes when on drift or anchor, turn the seat it will touch the trim button.

The pedestals, I have 2 of the mounting screws on the helm side.. just more strength if lean back standing or sitting while at the helm under way...
I used as larger.. maybe slightly larger than the countersunk pedestal holes are designed for, stainless self taping screws (more like counter sunk head coach screws) with the min diameter pilot hole) Filled the hole with marine grade urethane and around the counter sunk part...screwed down.

I have also shimmed under the base of the seats to making sitting comfortable.. not a tendency slide of.. have stuck this on the old seats and other boats occasionally.

Have had no issues with mountings in last 7 or 8 yrs and some big guys using.

Had issues on both seats late 1st season of use ... big guys leaning back.. the ply seat base cracking. Repaired simply by thicker better quality ply and a couple metal bars to reinforce.
 PS those are nice salt water hulls

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perhaps glassing a base plate down, 18 mm ply..with the right bolts and big washers already through it..
Clean the floor back to clean fiberglass, and resin the sucker down..along with plenty of ss screws..
I would avoid cutting in to the existing floor if possible. It's best left sealed.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 12:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How thick is the floor thru there Dave?
Lewshis maybe worth drill one of the old holes thru to check structural integrity, and thickness?

Found a pic of my new pedisals, well a few yrs old now.
 The originals (1970s) where a rather primitive square plate.. non stainless..not much bigger across than the current diameters, and a steel tube.