windy wind

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 7:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For me Clutch,

Getting out has been fine.

Already landed my first Marlin for the season.i Ihad to go to whangaroa, but for me weather and the right conditions were perfect.

The Harbour was glass for three days.
The fishing inside was epic.
I slept with no slap on an alloy boat every night.

It's how you choose your fishing zones .
Fishing and weather.

Just assessing for zones to fish.

I believe with good weather self forecasting you will nearly always have opportunities.

I struggle to see others from frustrations.

I'm a doer not a maybe if it was just a little sunnier.

Don't mean to be condescending, but really I struggle with those who say I can't unless it's stupid ridiculous unsafe conditions..
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:34am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

For me Clutch,

Getting out has been fine.

Already landed my first Marlin for the season.i Ihad to go to whangaroa, but for me weather and the right conditions were perfect.

The Harbour was glass for three days.
The fishing inside was epic.
I slept with no slap on an alloy boat every night.

It's how you choose your fishing zones .
Fishing and weather.

Just assessing for zones to fish.

I believe with good weather self forecasting you will nearly always have opportunities.

I struggle to see others from frustrations.

I'm a doer not a maybe if it was just a little sunnier.

Don't mean to be condescending, but really I struggle with those who say I can't unless it's stupid ridiculous unsafe conditions..

Yeah, I dont mind a little chop or wind. Maybe its 6 day on 3 day off roster at work that just seems to fall on very windy days on my RDO's.

Having said that it's definitely been a blowy year.

Oh, and congrats on the marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:28pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the way you think Mattoo! I'm also a Doer. If plan A is not a go have a look at plan B. For me thats a small tow south out of Mokau to a Bay where the waves are smaller to launch. Had first windless day for quite a while yesterday, to big everywhere. Today launchable but the forcasted chop and wind has kicked in like predicted. So made decision to work instead early thismorn. Like you I hear alot of excuses why people cant get out yet I have the smallest boat here and get out the most.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We don't get a lot of options in my neck of woods. No sheltered bays etc. Just totally exposed to anything from N-E-S. Then there is the swell factor to get off the beach. Sometimes sea is OK - if you can risk 2-3m surf. My boat usually the first to go when beach has been shut down for a while. Have had plenty of audiences watching for entertainment. Often get people asking me if they think it is do-able. If I am not out there they wonder if they should be. Bit like the penguins on edge of ice flow. But the reality is prob less than 50% of our days are fishable. We usually roll 1-2 boats /yr getting in/out. Just that summer usually produces better than average results. But not this year, so far. I hear this weather pattern may revert to normal around end of month. To do with SAM - whoever he is. According to Renwick.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:38pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I promise you all the weather will improve.

Get ya Clutch, I see a window and nek minute someone wants me to work.

My clients know fishing is more important than them,
But i can't help myself looking out for my clients so fishing does suffer unless the itch gets to great.
I've got great clients.

Snappa Geoff, snap.

Alan, some places are definetly like that.
Maybe time to get a fly rod......

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm doing it now.
Up at toots looking for tuna and Mahi.
Wind and sea looks challenging tommorrow.
Sst shots crappy.

So will be a fisherman with intent and go early and troll back through worse sea states.

Or another plan or another plan.

To complicate my trip I have wife in tow and Geoff with his wife.
So we will leave my boat behind for the wives to have comfort and we will take Geoffs smaller boat and bash our way out there. Not a fan. So you think the wind is bad, having non fishing wives is right up there.

No LOL here.

Just suck it up and deal with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:53pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'm doing it now.
Up at toots looking for tuna and Mahi.
Wind and sea looks challenging tommorrow.
Sst shots crappy.

Hmm - forecast ain't that bad for Friday, but then I will be in the shallows.  PLus generally looking much better for the next 4 or 5 days.

Window time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:53pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo - I have several fly rods.
I also have 8 stitches in my leg (and an infection).
Weather looks do-able tomorrow. Will be out there.
But we live in a challenging place for boating. It is what it is. Thats why we don't have to share it with too many others. And if I travel N/S for an hr or so - same stuff, and no tractor to beach launch. Not sure when I last used a boat ramp - decades ago. But normally expect a bit better this time of year. The westerlies have been pummeling in general too - trees down, tents bashed - last few days.
But Renwick says getting better end of month. I want my money back if he is wrong.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did a trip up north with Taggit this time last yr - a week from Akl. Got to Nth Cape. Anchored a different place each night. AMAZING country. Enjoyed it heaps. Fishing mecca. Didn't catch a lot - but fantastic country.
Offered to sign on for same again - but he has disappeared off the earth.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:24am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

this weekend is looking good have to get out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A few days ago. Any takers? My boat is about 1.5m smaller. Had already been out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Windy as F**k in Auckland again this arvo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:58pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sunday looks good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

sunday looks good
That sounds about right. I'm back to work sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wednesday looking good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:38pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seriously could we actually have worse weather than we have in NZ other than Siberia?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:56pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was at Vanda Research Station Antarctica. Temp was minus 48 degrees centigrade and wind 50 knots every afternoon. 

Ahh suspect the cause of our problems has been a stationary anticyclone over aussie. Giving them hot dry weather but we have had a persisting SW flow in the anticlockwise winds around it. The good news is it's on the move. That tropical cyclone that moved onto NW aussie seems to have shifted it and it appears to be moving down to the SW. So things might return to normal. Fingers crossed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:16pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Our high today was 20 degrees. Lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:30pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mr M, your onto it,

And fingers crossed indeed.
Page  <1234>