Tauranga Harbour Eagles

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 5:38pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

heres a question,

a couple of spots i pest around are home to those huge black rays,
has anyone witnessed rider s on that species.

i tryed to narrow down there specs in 'Coastal Fishes of NZ'[Malcolm Francis]
But im not sure,
thinking they might be large shorttails or large longtails.
thing is there so broad[almost circular] and slow moving,unlike shorts, longs etc.
Cher.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:26pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi FISHBYFLY. Just the two species of stingray in our estuaries. The short tail stingray and the long tail stingray. I have seen both species carrying riders. Both are a similar shape and colour, but the best way of telling them apart is by the length of the tail. The short tail as it's name suggests, has a short stumpy and powerful tail that can have up to three long barbs. When threatened, it will lift the tail over its back and the tail has ample power to drive the barbs through flesh or wader boots. They are inquisitive and sometimes won't yield. The long tail stingray has a long whip like tail. Easy to tell them apart when they are close. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:31pm
Gold
Gold

Eagle rays are a completely separate species of ray and not related closely to stingrays. Their method of propulsion is different and they have pointed wings instead of the stingrays' circular disc. You would have to be unlucky or bloody careless to get barbed by this species. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:42pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, I'm thinking you're looking at large short-tail rays Adam. They can get huge. The most common big ray on the northern east coast. The only places I've seen the long-tail ray in the north has been in west coast harbours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:05pm
Gold
Gold

We are lucky to get both stingray species in Tauranga Harbour. The largest short tail I have personally seen was a few years ago off Fergusson Park. I reckoned a conservative 2.15 metres across the disc. The species is reputed to grow to over 3.0 metres and weigh over 300 kg. I have caught a big one at Thompson Sound, Fiordland years ago and have seen short tails in Bluff Harbour. I have only seen long tails to around 1.7 metre disc width but they too can get much bigger, but not as big as the short tail. I had one swim quickly up to me and rest a wing up the side of my waders. Two days previously, one did the same to one of my mates at the same location. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:09pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for that Dick and Craig,

got to be short tails then, huge suckers, must have a few years undertheir belt.
its two seperate locations ive seen them, 

one location has one that arrives at the exact same time of the tide each day, and feeds in same spots, locals recognize it and i  think its got a name!

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Page  <12