Glowbite trial - do they catch more fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snotrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glowbite trial - do they catch more fish?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:20am
Snotrag View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Maybe they are a gimmick and maybe I've been sold. But if you're interested in finding out I'm heading to the far north for a 2 week boys fishing trip on the 24th October. I'll be trialing the glowbite next to standard jig heads and sliders and get back to youz regarding the outcome. I've also bought a 300g glowbite mechanical jig too. 2 weeks to go! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:33am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

weather they work a little better or not would be secondary to the concern they would pollute when lost. Specifically what sort of batteries are they ( mercury ? ) and what happens to the batteries if you loose one in the ocean ? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:51am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep us posted Snotrag. I can't quite make up my mind about Glowbite. They certainly work, but so do lots of other lures. If you can fish them side-by-side with standard lures that would be the most useful approach. It's not a scientific study, but it's about the best that us recreational fishermen can do. 

My completely non-scientific opinion is that they pay off when fishing deep water or low visibility. In clear shallows, they don't offer much benefit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:12pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've found that on some days they might fish slightly better than a standard slider but on other days sliders not so good and bait or soft bait is better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snotrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:55pm
Snotrag View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes they'll be no science involved, just good ol observations.
I might set 2 rods up, one with glowbite and the other standard, both exactly same size/colour and leave them both in rod holders while I softbait  Maybe occasionally working one then the other. 

As far as environmental impact, that's a discussion for another thread I think! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:28pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How do the eyes on those jigheads get on after a few strikes from big snapper teeth ? I like lightbulbs but the UV coating gets chewed off eventually.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:08pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Keep us posted Snotrag. I can't quite make up my mind about Glowbite. They certainly work, but so do lots of other lures. If you can fish them side-by-side with standard lures that would be the most useful approach. It's not a scientific study, but it's about the best that us recreational fishermen can do. 

My completely non-scientific opinion is that they pay off when fishing deep water or low visibility. In clear shallows, they don't offer much benefit. 

Nothing unscientific about hat mate, Scientific method, is quite simple, Hypothesise, Test, Observe report. The number of times you repeat that cycle just contributes to the body of data and confirms the hypothesis ...or not.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:38am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Over the last summer/autumn I did a bit of slow jigging, found that in deeper water (50-110m) black outfished everything else. Even lumo.

Makes no sense to me, but then I'm not a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What works for me and friends is to use all bait types soft bait and jigs until you've found one that works on the day. If that doesn't work on the day then shift. Often each day is different, different light, tide, season. There is no silver bullet