NZ Fads👍It's time

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZ Fads👍It's time
    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Time to get improvements in our fishery.

Increase the numbers of fads.

Instead of countries scrapping ships for metal let's take over the market for a while strip them clean and dump them to create artificial reefs around our coast.

The sealife spin offs would be impressive.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm, wondered when the topic would come up. Surface fads would be useful too.
Can you imagine getting this stuff past the multitude of Govt regulators? How much money? Why should it be so hard?
Underwater Fads are another option. So many possibilities. A few sunken scrapped ships would be a no go area for trawlers at least. Currently I am watching 3 per day ploughing the area we used to get puka from.  been there for around the last 10-14 days. I'm guessing all the pup grouper are getting scooped up.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A few sunken vessels out west would be great too. Even if it was a no take zone it would certainly be worth it - it would draw fish in from all over - somehow, dunno if there's a Reef Gazette or something that the fish read but it would certainly help the fishing around it. FAD's would be great but yeah we would need someone with a bullet proof constitution and a real fire in their belly to achieve it.

The answer of course is a little give & take - not something recs or comms are particularly good at. A FAD with a not take area close by for tourists/photographers/divers etc will work well. Tell me I'm wrong - but I'm not.

We want to destroy agriculture & manufacturing in this country and pin all our hopes on tourism then this is what we should do.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:25pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

we would need someone with a bullet proof constitution and a real fire in their belly to achieve it.

Deep pockets would help too. A Leander class frigate is probably worth $1m plus in scrap value, less the cost of getting it to the breakers yard of course. Then there's the costs involved in de-oiling and de-plastic'ing & whatever else need to be removed to sanitise the vessel, and then scuttling.

Great idea Mattoo, but a few artificial FADs like the old Queens Buoy off the BOI might be more achievable.

Of course, the best ones in NZ have got names like Maui A and Maui B, but having to stay 500m away reduces their usefulness Wink  
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

we would need someone with a bullet proof constitution and a real fire in their belly to achieve it.

Deep pockets would help too. A Leander class frigate is probably worth $1m plus in scrap value, less the cost of getting it to the breakers yard of course. Then there's the costs involved in de-oiling and de-plastic'ing & whatever else need to be removed to sanitise the vessel, and then scuttling.

Great idea Mattoo, but a few artificial FADs like the old Queens Buoy off the BOI might be more achievable.

Of course, the best ones in NZ have got names like Maui A and Maui B, but having to stay 500m away reduces their usefulness Wink  

Still be the cheapest artificial reef out. A sunken ship has a lot of appeal to the underwater brigade
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was a good one off the chicks in 110m I think, 10m down, the owner reckon a trawling snaffled it, prior to that he drifted a livey around it and almost got spooled by what he thought was a good YFT.

So I guess they don't last.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:25pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The same topic comes up every few years. Here is the last one I recall.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/is-there-a-place-for-fads-in-nz_topic121944_page1.html

I also found this that may be of interest to some.

http://coastfish.spc.int/Fishing/FAD2_E/FAD2E.pdf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:59am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

Years ago the workers out on Maui A etc were allowed to chuck over a line usually a big spanner or something else for a sinker! These days its banned. The fishing was great! Alot of species. Some Guys would freeze there fish to take home after there two weeks on ended. Big schools of Kings hang around plus you see Blue whales swimming past migrating! Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:32am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are really talking of two different things. Surface Fads work just fine for your pelagics. The sunken frigates etc won't do much for them, but would work for our coastal inshore fish. The surface Fads are cheap and would be easily in the price range of any number of gamefishing clubs. In Vtu we have a dozen or more scattered around at any one time. They cost about $3-5k each. The biggest cost is the rope - several kms. They are generally in about 800m of water. Our coastline is not so steep so would cost less. Easily do-able.
The problem would be dealing with pointy headed Regional councils, Maritime NZ etc etc. Even the Greens. Greenpeace had a snitch on Fad fishing and came thru Vtu with one of their ships a few yrs back, cutting the Fads off. They stopped when the locals pointed out that is how they feed themselves. Idiots.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:59am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

The fishing was great! Alot of species....Big schools of Kings hang around  

I dived it a few times in a previous life, and yes the schools of kings & terakihi were huge. The species that surprised me most was the spotties. How on earth do spotties get established way out there Confused
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:10pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:58pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wonder when our MPI is going to deploy their Fads for Reccs??
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote out2sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:51pm
out2sea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably when we start paying them in boat registration fees and fishing licenses. Then probably only in 10 years time when we complain we get nothing back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 6:19pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have taken a bit of time to learn some things about fads.

There effectiveness is unquestionable.
Which is why commercial fleets use floating ones for commercial benefit and why green peace appropriately challenges them.

The use of inshore fads for recreational uses and limited islanders survival rewards has the same great results worldwide with no discernable detriments.

So there effectiveness is irrefutable.

So the use is ok for recreational if managed.
Managed requires them to be robust in construction and appropriately placed in consideration to commercial and recreational traffic. With a well publicised awareness to there locations with gps notifications on all charts.

Let us ignore at this point the rma, that's a too hard basket.

The costs to deploy in productive zones for nz are more than reasonable and don't require the need for licences for recreational fisherman to fund.
In fact the costs could be easily met by our existing game clubs.

Our advantage to reduce financial costs is the shallow depths of suitable deployment.

I also believe that with modification on the many options of design available that we can create a unique design that suits our environment and needs.

I suggest a large base format with mid water bouys or floating zone. The.subsurface requires a connection point within twenty metres of surface that is removed for the winter period and replaced for the summer period.

This system allows lower congregation of many species with a subsurface that suits our kings and others with the addition of the topwater component for attraction to the summer pelagics.

It can increase longetivity of maintenance and maintain a uniformity of attraction year round.

Those are my considered thoughts on a fad system and design.

I believe with the future advancement of tourism these benefit recreational and charter formats.
And may play a part in man made reef formats to increase our depleted fish resources.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 6:38pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo do you really know the dirty secrets of commercial fads??

The tuna purse seiners have cameras and radio links to view the gathering below the fads to decide the best time to come and hoover up the entire school and eco system that has been attracted to the fad.Thumbs DownOuch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I do.

Can't have a conversation about everything that distracts the focus on the topic at hand.

This is not a conversation for the" briny bar".

I think you can contribute better than that.

Respectfully.

Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:22pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mattoo I hope you or others pursue the logistics with respect to locating FADs in NZ. Clearly they work.
I repeat comments that I have made previously and that is fishing clubs need sponsors. We have 6 FADS here in Perth. These are managed by the Perth Game Fishing Club (PGFC) and each FAD has a separate sponsor. In addition there is other funding provided via revenue from recreational boat fishing licenses which is great however we all know such funding is not available in NZ as there is no licensing structure.
If the project gets off the ground one other comment I have is that it is worth attaching GPS positional trackers to the buoys. Despite the locations of the FADs being shown on mapping charts such as CMaps, Navionics etc we still have FADs breaking loose as a result of what we believe to be ship strikes. The GPS trackers firstly alert you that a FAD has been cut loose and is drifting and secondly provides you with position locations to assist in its recovery. The secret is being able to retrieve them early before they get out of range. PGFC tracked one of its FADs that was loose for almost 17 months. In that period it drifted a straight line distance of 2,900nm and was recovered by a game fishing boat operating east of Mauritius with lats, longs assistance being provided by PGFC.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish Addict,

Great insight and clearly a valuable component to a successful tool.

Appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe to get something like this done thru the self perpetuating bureaucracy we have in local and central government is to simply explain they would be able to create a whole new level of bureaucracy on thisWink
Page  12>