Bird Repellers

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Repellers
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:13pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone tried the ultrasonic bird repellers, and if so do they work?  There is a swallow or swift building a mud nest in my shed roof above the boat, which is making a real mess everywhere.  At the moment I keep knocking the nest down every day, but the buggers keep rebuilding it -they just aren't taking the hint.  I wondered if putting one of the ultrasonic devices in the shed might keep them out.  Our feathered friends are a real PITA this time of year, I've got one nesting in the roof above my office and every day I have to empty straw and twigs out of the letter box.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:26pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go green,
Accept it.

Push your barrow out and wash when necessary.

Give them names.

Or eat them.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:41pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got swallows nesting in my shed. They poo all down the side of the boat. I just wash it off before I take it out. Doesn't really bother me.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:18pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You have to stop them else they will be back year after year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bang Bang, problem solved.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:48am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK Mattoo - your green solution.... How many swallows does it take to make a useful pie? He may not have enough - unless he can encourage a few more to set up house.
Yes, they are a perennial pest. I locked one in (unknowingly) in my garage a couple of days ago. They just don't take the hint.
There used to be a sticky paste you could get in a tube. It had something like chiilie in it as well. Clean the nest out , clean the area and apply the paste. Their feet stick to it and they don't like it. They don't get stuck - but don't like the surface. Was called Hot Foot. Dunno if still around or not. Otherwise - if feasible - you could try stringing some fine nylon (6lb or similar) around where they are trying to nest. They crash in to it.
Good luck. If possible, I use .22bird shot. They don't come back.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:53am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Print an A4 photo of cats face and put it up near nest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:25am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

there's those "birds of prey" decoys, that may work. People put them on their moored boats etc to keep gulls from ****ting all over their yacht/launch. An Owl perched very near by in the shed will have them nesting elsewhere in no time. Personally, I like my shed resident swallows.....but yeah, do make a mess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A $8 red shed trap laid over that part of the boat, or whatever.

Was down at a factory couple days ago, they had a movement operated distress sound... more bloody annoying than the birds.
And the guys recon the birds get used to it.
There are stickers of birds of prey that can be put  on windows that are prone to bird strike (wood pigeons, tui, blackbirds etc)
 Ultra sonic gadgets, know a few ppl who have had them for mice stuff like that. mess up some of their dogs , thats it.

Then there is the air rifle...good on pigeons, trouble is as soon as the flock in the tree reduces another pair move in to nest/ roost.
 Now pigeons, there is a legit complaint.. sound like cats in high heels on the roof, mess up the roof and decks by perching on gutters.
 What is the easiest way to chop down and kill a large mature phenex palm?

If extend the chop down logic as a soln... demolish the shed Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:49am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

demolish the shed Wink
Hmm. Can see large piles of rubble looming.
But yes - noise things are very limited. Birds don't mind noise - they get used to it. Airports have problems with birds. And people don't like living by airports ... because of the noise. They don't mind roosting in noisy factories etc. In fact they are very adaptable. It takes them a few days to work out the latest ruse.
Physically deterring them generally works tho - make it uncomfortable for them and they will find your neighbors shed more attractive.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:47am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did notice in bunnings some of those wire spikes that come in strips.
Often seen on commercial buildings.

Yes a small pie indeed, just one swallow and it's all gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That reminds me.. seen ppl hang old cd s on strings in gardens and fruit trees
 no idea if works short or long tern thu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:15pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes a small pie indeed, just one swallow and it's all gone.

OOhhh - toooo much.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just enjoy the gift of beautiful swallows in your shed. Not everyone is so privileged . They will nest and soon  be gone again .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:07pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cirrus - maybe he can relocate them to your shed? :-) Maybe you will take mine too?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:28pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And you think you have **** problems.

At least I can get two pies for one ****ter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A cat and Bang and if the cat doesnt do his job then you know where the next shot is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:54pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put some grease or vasaline in the area they are trying to build their best,I've been told it works for swallows....there's a joke in there somewhere 👍
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - that is sort of what the Hot Foot stuff is - with a bit of spice thrown in. They don't like tacky feet.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:50pm
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Google “Alpha Chloralose”
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Page  12>