Bay of Islands spring update

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:07am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Bigger Snaps love those fresh Mackeral StraylinedWink Nice Fishing GuysBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:26pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back home from the sub-antarctic to a much nicer climate for a week or so, and nice to see the middle ground is still holding plenty of snapper. No real bite time yesterday - fish came in slowly from the last couple of hours of the incoming until half tide outgoing. Drifted until the wind picked up around midday - good sign all through the area from 32-39m. Water 19 degrees early morning, all fish still in roe or milt, & the bigger fish were all males. 

A visiting US inlaw caught the best fish at just on 7kg on a cheap & nasty flasher rig, Jono did well with a similar rig, & I softbaited with similar success. The big kahawai kept me honest for a while on light gear Wink

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dukeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:08pm
Dukeas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good to hear the Snapper have come back, and some left.
Just before Christmas it was being totally hammered by a long lining commercial boat who had as much area as possible covered, assumably right up to the Tapeka point boundary line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:31am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dukeas Dukeas wrote:

good to hear the Snapper have come back, and some left.
Just before Christmas it was being totally hammered by a long lining commercial boat who had as much area as possible covered, assumably right up to the Tapeka point boundary line.

That's not quite fair on one com liner. What about the hundreds of boats that descended on the bay over xmas/new year. Counted over 60 boats one day on center foul alone. I could actually make out the shape of the structure by the boats.

Multiply all those hundreds of boats for the amount of hooks in the water and one liner boat makes not a fig of difference. As much as I don't like them in the bay, its us recs that are the main culprits.

Just have to become a better fisherman and get away from the sheep because with all the noise the fish just wanna bit of piece and quite.

Wont be long before the snaps start showing up in the next areas they go after spawning and the fun starts all over again.

And its much easier to get a park at the boat ramp...….
Page  <12