Just done 20 hours on new Merc 115 CT ProXS

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just done 20 hours on new Merc 115 CT ProXS
    Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:19am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just run in the new motor and couldn't be more pleased with it.

There is serious grunt in this motor when compared with the previous Merc 90 CT with a more economical cruise at mid-range revs as a bonus. The accelleration is outstanding even with 3 POB, 150l fuel, full livebait tank, Minn Kota, Batteries etc.

Here is a video of a recent 80nm trip showcasing the Huaraki Gulf starting at Omaha via Anchorite to Coromandel Township (almost) and back, stopping off to enjoy the scenery at Flat Rock. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ngoukPgkEM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:41pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah amazing motors alright . I've got the 115 Pro XS but standard without the CT ( control thrust ) gear box as the dealer didn't think I needed it for my 5.5m glass boat . Probably not needed on your rig either but doesn't hurt I suppose. I'm averaging about 10L per hour for all motoring. You'll almost be finding the 150L fueltank too big I imagine.  Good for a run right around the back of Great Barrier though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:40pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its a 120 litre tank but there is another 30l in the storage under the casting platform that I should probably take out until I need it for a big mission. Its all extra weight that I don't need.

I'm doing 16.5l at 3.9k revs for about 22-23mph on the GPs which is around 1.3 miles per litre but that is pushing a 16" prop that hits 6300 at full bore with 2 POB plus the usual full fuel tank. I could probably go up to an 18" prop for economy and still be well within the recommended rev range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:22pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice vid Joker, looks rather professional?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:06pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't do it - son John did but I agree its pretty good editing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:44am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree, drives me fn NUTS idiots who troll through the bait ball. Its almost like we need not just a boat license but a fishing courtesy license. Or Brand their boat some how as work up killers. So frustrating. Great Vid bro.

What boat is that being skippered out of interest?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:13am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a FC560 c/c a nice stable fishing platform.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm wondering about your fuel usage, I would expect better than what you are getting. I come close to that with my viscount/225 hp..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im running, amount actual fuel used over miles from last 9 trips.
 Slow cruise is 34 mph , fast 39 mph.. about 60/40 split
5.5m old commander 150 V6 2001 2S johnny
 between 0.9 and 1 mile per liter.
 When I cut cruise speeds down to 32/34 mph hit the 1.2 to 1.3L per mile.
 This is around 10 to 12% more economical than the old 115 2S V4 jonny had on the back and cruising 32/34 mph around 4K rpms

Edit: couple numbers copied over wrong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fuel sounds about right if reading directly from the smart gauges.  My FC595 with the same engine does 1-1.1 Nm/litre on the gauges.  I know the fuel used gauge is a little high, but I'm happy with it being that way round so haven't bothered adjusting it.  I'd rather it thought I had used a little more than I actually have as then I should never run out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:05pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought it would be better fuel economy as well..
6.5m Rayglass @4200 doing 30kts and 1.6-1.7 km per litre... burning 34l p/h...
200hp Hpdi yammy
Reckon my burns pretty good now...
Ps videos good too thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:57pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do you guys only fish on flat water. Cruising at 30 knots. My boat must be ****e and I must be a chicken. Wouldn't be many days you could cruise at that speed out rags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No cruise off the west coast 22/24 mph otherwise bounce from one swell to the next.
 Cruise harbour , or up Waiheke channel out in the firth wind tide same direction  high 38/39 mph
 Also note well powered hulls perform VERY different to when low or min powered in chop.
 Think the best (once) we have come in on west coast flat day about m swell no chop was 26/28
 But get inside the river and hitting up fast cruise speed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:05pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Miles or nautical miles....
I prefer km these days..no ambiguity..
I get 2 km per liter, 1.07 nm, or 1.2 miles.
If joker is getting 1.3 nm, then it's definetly better than what I am getting..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:21pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I 'cruise' at 40-45km/ ph or around 22/23knt and get 2.2 l/km always with a full boat, from a 200hp 4stroke 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:40pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Its a 120 litre tank but there is another 30l in the storage under the casting platform that I should probably take out until I need it for a big mission. Its all extra weight that I don't need.

I'm doing 16.5l at 3.9k revs for about 22-23mph on the GPs which is around 1.3 miles per litre but that is pushing a 16" prop that hits 6300 at full bore with 2 POB plus the usual full fuel tank. I could probably go up to an 18" prop for economy and still be well within the recommended rev range.

Be interesting to see what an 18" prop does, I tried one on mine, top speed was lower by a couple of knots, and fuel economy was crap when the boat was fully loaded with crew bait and ice. You have a lighter boat so might be a different story. If you are running the Enertia prop, they also do them in a 17"  as well, which might be a better option.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:40pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For the trip they did in the video fuel burn was 2.35km per litre  good day out for the boys and some fish to show for there efforts Thumbs Up.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:55pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Ho Dee Ho Dee wrote:

I 'cruise' at 40-45km/ ph or around 22/23knt and get 2.2 l/km always with a full boat, from a 200hp 4strokeĀ 

I hope you mean 2.2km/L or you own a petrol station.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:06am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those are really good figures for that size boat.
28.5mph with the tide at 4100rpm using 12.2l per hour in the new toy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:18am
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yes sorry 2.1-2.2 km/l. the suzy is really impressive
Page  123>