A first softbait kingie - thank you Tangaroa

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (18) Likes(18)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A first softbait kingie - thank you Tangaroa
    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

22 Sept 2019 
My wife succinctly summed up my previous lack of success on the kingie front when I hefted the long Precision Pak insulated bag out of the boat and put it down heavily on the lawn: “I’ve never seen that bag before”.

Truth is, the bag has been on many trips with me since I bought it in a fit of optimism. But through a catalog of bad luck and errors it has always remained sadly folded up in my FC465’s dry storage space at the end of trips – until now!

My day had started at 4.30am with a nervy check of Swellmap to make sure the earlier forecast of SW gusting 16kts hadn’t got worse. After a shocking winter of windy weekends that prevented me getting out, I was relieved that it hadn’t. I then had to take extra care to remember my towing and launching routine. But as the Mercury 40 had me humming towards Kawau's North Channel ahead of a brisk breeze, I was full of anticipation.

Unfortunately, the snapper hadn’t got the memo. After a couple of hours’ effort casting softbaits along the sheltered coast near Fairchild Reef, all I had landed was one possibly legal fish that went back. It was dawning on me that this might be one of those frustrating days. Maybe all the weird coil-like jelly fish in the water were a bad sign?

Thankfully, things were about to get interesting. I was winding in my bait on auto-pilot after yet another cast, and admiring the Z Man 5” 'Midnight Oil' Curly Tailz’s sinuous action in the clear water when something big, green, silver and yellow materialised and engulfed it from the side. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to recognise that a kingfish had taken pity on me and nailed my softbait, and a couple more to recognise – as Mr Kingie decided to set a course for Little Barrier and get there in a hurry – that in 12m of water over foul, there may not be a happy ending.

My Stradic FK 4000 was rapidly being emptied of braid, so I started up the motor and tried to close the distance. But I soon experienced that sickening feeling of a tight, vibrating line that meant the fish had dived through some kelp. But there was hope – I could still feel head shakes, the rod tip would buck alarmingly, and every so often the drag would scream again. Rather than try to force the issue, I stayed patient, took the pressure off a bit and my spirits surged when all of a sudden the fish zoomed off in earnest and we were once again directly connected via a straight line. A big clump of waving kelp fronds floated up the line to the surface and then came free. Maybe Tangaroa was going to smile on me today?

The wind was pushing us into deeper water and the fight became a vertical battle of attrition, with inches of line won and lost again, and my Daiwa Slugger rod loaded up. Anxious times. Finally, I could see a large silver shape loom out of the depths and an exhausted kingfish made its last couple of circles beside the boat. I ducked down, grabbed my gaff – which had never been used in anger – and made my first shot count.

What a moment. A gannet bobbing nearby looked a bit startled as I let out a victory "Yes!". I was shaking with adrenaline as I dispatched the fish and gave it a measure – 94cm. There may be fatter and bigger kingfish, and the hook up was something of a fluke, but to me the fish at my feet represented a triumph: my first legal kingie on a softbait, and a worthy foe on that gear. I remembered my ‘kingie bag’, dug it out, added some ice and zipped up the fish to keep it in good condition.

Soon after, I added another softbait first for me – a nice john dory which hoovered up a 7” Z Man ‘Bruised Banana’ Jerk Shad in 17m (and pulled no drag whatsoever). The big snapper I'd come for had eluded me, but as I headed back to the beach at noon with the sun and wind in my face, I did not care in the slightest. It had been a day that will live long in the memory, and a great warm up for the Forum charter fishing trip with JW next Sunday (please let the weather be okay... please!!).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:22pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one mate, the first is something that can never be repeated, but can be repeatedly enjoyed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 12:26am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice work there tk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 6:45am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work TK, nothing like a kingie on the soft bait gear for excitement!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:01am
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great capture, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:09am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:16am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done. It's always a worry when you have the rod in one hand and the gaff in the other, at least for that few seconds!

Often if a kingi just kept on trucking in a straight line on the first run they would spool a softie rod, but if you have enough line they usually turn before it's all gone and you can breath again.

I always blead my kingfish straight away, I wonder who else does?

I bet that fish tastes extra good after that battle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:18am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done TK, great report and congrats Thumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:00am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love your work TK. Nice kingi on soft bait gear.

That is a beautiful photo of your John Dory, one best I’ve seen in terms of capturing the fish’s colours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:19am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done matey
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:54am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done Lester~~good funBig smile

liked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:01am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember my first kingie hookup on soft baiting gear, 4-8kg rod, 2500 reel, 10lb braid. I basically got spooled. Fortunately, my arbor knot held over my braid-leader knot and the fish wasn't left with 200 metres braid attached to it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:04am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

I always blead my kingfish straight away, I wonder who else does?

Yep, bled, then gutted straight afterwards before going on ice. I only kill a couple every year and make sashimi out of them, so want the fish in top condition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:34am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Lester - nice photos too. That king would have been fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:41am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lovely fishing there TK!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 12:12pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish on a softbait, well done! Look forward to SundayBig smile
www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done TK, good story too.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 5:49pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awseome TK,
stoked for yaThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 5:39am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best read on here for a while Lester! nice photo's. Congrats....
Page  12>