Reel recovery

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel recovery
    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We probably all know someone that has been diagnosed as having cancer & unlike females we guys are not very good at talking about it.

A organisation was formed in the US to offer at no cost including accommodation, meals, gear supplied etc. three day retreats where they are introduced to flyfishing on a one to one basis run entirely by volunteers.

Apparently the results are mind blowing,almost miraculous in fact, albeit a totally humbling experience for all involved & a branch operation is now up & running in NZ.

Please pass this info on to any male you know diagnosed with cancer no matter at what stage even if in remittance & do them a huge favour by encouraging them to take advantage of such an inspiring concept.

NZ home web page :-

PS a separate similar scheme operates for women that are or have been affected by breast cancer.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:26am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great initiative.

Very similar to the Wounded Veterans type gig they have going in the States along the same lines.

Fishing fixes everything!Hug
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:00am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi there Bazza.  Are you involved?   Reason I ask is that down here in QT myself and our local club help out every year with the Casting For Recovery events, which are the female equivalent you were taking about.  

Myself and I'm sure a few club members would be more than happy to lend a hand with any Reel Recovery events down our way (Otago) Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 10:31pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Hi there Bazza.  Are you involved?   Reason I ask is that down here in QT myself and our local club help out every year with the Casting For Recovery events, which are the female equivalent you were taking about.  
Myself and I'm sure a few club members would be more than happy to lend a hand with any Reel Recovery events down our way (Otago) Wink

No Fraser ... I am not directly involved but intend offering to become a volunteer helper.

I was aware such an organisation existed but was not until one of the prime organisers gave a presentation at a meeting of the North Shore Fly Fishers Club (Auckland) recently that I felt inspired to get involved.

If you would like more info suggest you contact :-

Craig Caldwell
183 Newman Road
Te Awamutu RD3

Ph  07 8722686
M   0272796766
E    [email protected]  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:39am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Bazza, il flick him an email!