OXE Diesel Outboard

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OXE Diesel Outboard
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 6:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There will be a demonstration of the new OXE Diesel outboard this Sunday at Te Toro between 12pm and 2.00pm. This demo will be a 150hp motor on a Haines SF660. You may have seen this Swedish outboard at the last Hutchwilco Boat Show. Gary Richmond will be there to answer your questions.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:39am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cant make it smudge , any chance of a few pics or vid would be great .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not sure I'll be there either Demon, I was hoping to cast a line. I'm sure Gary will have some footage to share.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:03pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any idea what the 150 is worth and how heavy? I am working all weekend at the RV show in Hamilton so wont make it

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:09pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy ship just found the stats , 350kg Approve
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:00am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

would the price cause me to fall off my chair?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:26am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

No that would be the steep inclination of your boat causing you to topple of your perch, after you put it on the back. Gravity always wins sir!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:18am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I found a figure of 40k in England including tax what ever that means (if correct).
I would be interested in the concept on my 8.5m boat replacing inboard but I think if I took the engine I have off my keel where the weight is so low and put a heavy power head like that up high I may not like the feeling?
Way to much money anyhow at this time.
If my engine dies it's another inboard for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:38am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah my guess - and it is very much a guess - is that it might be three times the price of a normal petrol 150hp

but being turbocharged and running lower revs for the hp, the oxe might replace a 200 or even 250hp petrol outboard so the price difference narrows a little?

still heavy though - look at the new merc 225 - 200kg and change...

i think most applications will be commercial/military where petrol is not permitted on site.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

but being turbocharged and running lower revs for the hp, the oxe might replace a 200 or even 250hp petrol outboard so the price difference narrows a little?

End of the day  a give hp will only move a given weight at a given speed.. basic high school physics.

350kg.. my 150 2S is only about 200kg..a 4S not much more. Another 150kg is another 2 guys on board
Well powered 150hp pushes about a 5.8m 1400/1500kg gross weight on the water PLANING hull well in the chop without working the throttle.
 With the extra 150kg that then makes it HP wise for around a 5.5m what was a 1200/1250kg  gross weight on water boat
 Going from a $115 to a V6150, around an extra 20kgs on the stern makes no significant difference... another 150kg...

Hmmm I wonder what the stern weight rating is on modern boats?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So done some basic looking at this.

I like it.
There are pluses and minuses though.

I looked at the 200hp.

Cost 40 k pounds I think that's about 70 nz. Plus vat which is about another 15 k nz.

It's heavy about 350kg and it's top heavy.

Though the belt system makes it slim in the water but a top heavy motor.

Only a third consumption to petrol, yes it has strong horsepower- re torque.

Less expensive servicing by a good margin.

It's noisy, really noisy. And as the commentators and noise reading tools used said it was badish it was definetly a message to say it's not so bad.

But noise from a diesel could be a winner for gamefisherman. Raising fish is a launches area, maybe no more.

I think reliability and a certain noise issue is a comprimise.

I think this motor is an early Volvo in principle.
Promises heaps looks crap but offers possibilities.

I'm in favour in only two respects, effiency and noise for raising fish.

But it's diesel in the water which is crap, it's noisey and I like my sweet quiet motors so I can have a conversation.

Time will tell.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting thoughts and synopsis Matt...

I heard those motors weren't noisy and were possibly a four stroke.

And as Bounty Hunter said they are proably suited to military and work boats versus pleasure craft.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:29pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ozzy Navy are running Merc 175 Optimax Diesel Outboards and these have spark plugs.

And interesting that Yanmar have released a 50hp model, and I note the COX 300 hp is aroiund 300kg...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:46pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Al,

I have a love hate relationship with diesel.

Really efficient tools, I have a lot of diesel machinery.
They last and are hardworking tools.

Easy to service.

Lived in Europe for several years, spent a few weeks as a motorcycle courier in London.
The first day back home to Shower I had a black ring, it was diesel.
A face mask not conducive to skin care.

So diesel as an airborne disaster not a fan.

Back to the motor.

It has fresh water as a coolant, yay no salt, benefit there.
The belt drive is a great answer for the drive train.
But as I repeat it's top heavy and noisy.

Yet a lot of the machinery I run is quiet. Soma potential good news area there.

This motor is clunky and noisey and time will improve noise and effiency.

Think it's too early to purchase or for the retail market.

Principle sound, as for its proper marinenisation.

Time will help.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yanmar who produce good inboard/machinary motors have entered the outboard world.

At full throttle and lading it typically burns under 12 litres of fuel per hour 2 times less than most 70 hp gasoline outboards of similar performance. The Dtorque 111 ensures fewer refuelling stops and lower running costs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

Yes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 1:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How did the demo go Smudge??any takers??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 1:43pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Once again Steps you just shovel some crap out there thinking you know what you are talking about. 

What about the Torque of Petrol vs Diesel

For fact I chnaged from a V6 225 4.3L Inboard engine to a D3 160hp Turbo Diesel engine. Exactly the same top and cruising speeds but instead of burning 160L of petrol for a days game fishing we burn 80L of Diesel. 

So to say theres no difference is just crap but some facts behind it.

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

End of the day  a give hp will only move a given weight at a given speed.. basic high school physics.

350kg.. my 150 2S is only about 200kg..a 4S not much more. Another 150kg is another 2 guys on board
Well powered 150hp pushes about a 5.8m 1400/1500kg gross weight on the water PLANING hull well in the chop without working the throttle.
 With the extra 150kg that then makes it HP wise for around a 5.5m what was a 1200/1250kg  gross weight on water boat
 Going from a $115 to a V6150, around an extra 20kgs on the stern makes no significant difference... another 150kg...

Hmmm I wonder what the stern weight rating is on modern boats?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 2:06pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went for look, was very impressed. Does it make more noise than a 4S? yes, but it is a big improvement over a 2S. At trolling speed I thought it was OK and would have no trouble with it myself.
Went for a ride and with 4 guys and 2 kids, it was up on the plane fine. As quick up as a 4S? maybe not but more than acceptable. (its not a ski boat).
I like it, but the bottom line is the price (north of 80k) means that at this stage it is simply not a practical option for a recreational boat. They said they have sold 50 of them to the Australian navy. The NZ Coast Guard plus the police are having a close look so that at this stage seems to be the target market.
With a service life of 10,000 hrs that is not bad. 
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Page  12>