Stray lining, your methods for success?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:24pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Think you got more flip flops in that post than a jandle factory fizz!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:08am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alot of great info and ideas still being posted on Straylining FF, got one more to add. If your running a two hooked snell tied rig, iv'e found alot of guys tie there hooks to close together. I only run two hook rigs and find from experience they have better hook up rate on the big fish. I space mine about the length of a big Kahawai fillet apart. Also if you need a sinker for areas with more current to get it down have it in between the hooks. This reduces the sinker sliding up trace line and tangling with your swivel or clip. We have all seen this! When other Fisho's first see my Strayline rigs, its always wot the hell are you fishing for SharksLOL. I say no Big Snaps! Theres one guy down here Aaron who I post with sometimes replicates my methods exactly and he has caught more big Snaps in last two years than his last fourty fishing, including P.B. Also hook sharpness, spend a few secs to make sure they super sharp before sending down. i use a small flat chainsaw file. Alot of the fancy ones you can buy loose there point after a trip or two.                                                                                                 Off the subject- Those Dickey boats hardly get a mention on here until a few posts back, but i reckon best looking trailor boat around. One down here think 8.5 metre, makes the others boats look inferior! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:51pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sharp hooks.. that makes a huge difference. I use a small diamond file. very lightly place end on thumb nail and should not slide at all, dig in .. same way as checking a knife blade end to end.
 I like my hooks around 1 hook length between the hooks...Thu as mentined before I have my sinker on the end of the main line clip and tidy bait so doesnt twist up..twisting trace/ line doesnt catch fish.
Definitely going to open that gap up a bit, see what happens.
 Always learning, trying new stuff, ideas.
Its not one secret to good fishing , its getting everything right.. the details from clean traces, tidy knots, good hooks, tidy baits, no 'short cuts or patch fixes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 6:31pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I like my hooks around 1 hook length between the hooks...

...Definitely going to open that gap up a bit, see what happens.

Always learning, trying new stuff, ideas.

And that's exactly what a thread like this is all about - notwithstanding what some have suggested - picking up on the odd suggestion, dismissing the rest. It never occurred to me to put the sinker between the hooks on a 2 hook rig. Hmm. 

I remember being intrigued when Nathan from BAF showed how they bridle rig kahawai - the hook on a really long bridle about 1 x kahawai-length in front of the bait. Not IGFA compliant, but who cares if you aren't after a record. I haven't tried it but it makes sense - check it out on Youtube.

Back to straylining. For a long time I resisted trying the method recommended by several experts - a big single hooked once through the end of a big bait. It just didn't sound 'safe' to me, but - surprise - it really does work. Needs to be a tough bait - kahawai fillet or my current favourite - a jack mac hooked through the roof of the mouth. Might even work on one of those Mokau monsters Wink 

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:07pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I always tuck the 1/4oz sinker against the tail of a pilly before doing a half hitch above. Tidy as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a big single hooked once through the end of a big bait. It just didn't sound 'safe' to me, but - surprise - it really does work.

I wondered about that, not as ability to catch but to able to do so on near each drop sort of thing.
 Then out off west coast, local showing use the ropes...Had a feed in the bin. next thing hes dropping 10/0 hooks on with a filrte of fresh KY hooked at the top.

Big snapper before even getting to the bottom, and they just kept on coming in over the side...Since then go to this every time have been out over the bar and a feed in the bin.
Just have to pull them up slow thu, have a bit of fun.

And that's exactly what a thread like this is all about - notwithstanding what some have suggested - picking up on the odd suggestion,

My rigs date back to fishing with the old man in the late 50s and 60s..like Cirrus, old kauri clinker with a 25hp sea horse out around the back of the noises, into the firth on good days.
Tried sinkers at the bait end.. yep ok and dont have to get the baits as tidy, far more forgiving. Went back to sinker on end main line. Takes a bit of practice to figer out shape and how to hook baits on so dont twist thu. Really come into their own when current/ tide speed changes. Quick change sinkers.
In a big tide, bottom end, one can withing a short time go from a 1oz, 1.5oz, 2, 3, 4 6 and back again...
 Have noticed constantly those who sort of put off changing sinkers .. think should, i more drop (cause have to re do the trace), stop catching.. then change to something they where going to, but the current has changed from that as well....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:46am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if you guys put this much thought into straylining you should get into lure fishing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:42am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a non-bait fisherman, it's been an interesting read! I'm pretty rubbish at bait fishing LOL When I've been on other people's boats, it's certainly the thinking bait fishermen that get the fish. Chucking a pilchard out in a random spot with no thought given to tides or current, or berley rarely to results in a fish.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:58pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I gave up on pillies yrs ago.. 1 hit wonders...
 A good solid bait, lasts thru the nibblers that get the attention of the bigger fish..who come in push the little guys away , pick up the bait swim away like a seagull, and then precede to eat it.
 Never jerk back when feel a biat.. chances are its a little fish... give them a good 5 /10ms, even more in winter.
 Fresh mullet or trev or KY well from the fish shop or caught on previous trips..
scaled..scales mess a boat up, or rather means lot more cleaning.
Fillet, then cut into strips diagonally, and bag into zip lock bags. About 1 fillet per bag.. squeeze the air out and freeze.
 and/ or whole or 1/2 fliiets laid off the bottom of chilly bin, generous salt, close the lid for 3 or 4 days.
2x 1/2 in one bag, pour juice in, get air out in bucket water and freeze.
This way always bringing fresh bait onto the board as needed and de frosts quickly.
 The heads frames.. not tails, go thru the old 1990s electric ryobi garden mulcher.. usually do about 50/60kg at a time 2x a yr.. packed into 2L square milk bottles and frozen.

Lure fishing, yep always throw a SB out, but fish on the baits het hit faster.. suppose thats why SBers advice tends to be leave bait at home (??)
 SB rods are great for tossing into KY / trev boil ups.. even for tuna.. lotta fun.
As to other lures, yep have them, often have a play.. then the bait out the back gets hit..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 5:27am
Titanium
Titanium

Pillies I only use if i can't catch fresh bait out there. They are one hit wonders on big Snaps. Youv'e got to be quick if you get a run, don't be shy to strike early on pillies as they strip bait quickly if you don't get a hook up. Have caught the odd big one on them but nine times out of ten they get away with bait when i have used them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about squid?  spent a couple yrs having squid as a choice in the bait bin (and carp couple other oddies)
I dropped squid also, just did not get hit like KY, trev, and main go to mullet. Car worked well, but those bloody scales are like mini knight in shining Armour shields to take off... and when left on , bait got picked at rather than eaten.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:42am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

early winter put 7 nice snaps in bin in less than a hour using whole yellowtail skins.
kahawai skin scales and all  also worked.

First time i had tried them,was surprised at result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 4:34pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been using shark as bait for a while now....stays on the hook well.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:47pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I never knew stray lining was so complicated. I first started using the technique off Motiti and Mayor Island back in the mid 70s. Fishing off an anchored charter boat if conditions allowed I would put a stray line out. No weight just a large slab of couta and a very sharp SS game hook. I would lean the rod up against the railing (no rod holders in those days) with the reel in free spool with the clicker on. Every now and then I'd pay out another 10-15ft of line. I always saw stray lining as a means of catching larger snapper. Generally I caught either couta or a large snapper. Guys fishing the bottom very seldom caught large snapper as I recall. My take on the situation was that the larger snapper were either higher in the water column or were prepared to come off the bottom to take a bait mid water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:50pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's an interesting idea. Is it best to put the bait near or on the bottom, or higher up. What do you think, Snappa Geoff?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 4:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Alot of great info and ideas still being posted on Straylining FF, got one more to add.

Thanks Geoff, I knew everybody wouldnt get on board with this thread as it is such a basic form of fishing. But there are tip and tricks to every different situation, like yours for example, shallow water, no berley. 

We all know how to strayline, but whats the harm sharing different scenarios, because your method is so different to mine for example. 

And now we have had some tips from some NZfishing's best. Even if it took a post on how obvious it is before they shared :-)

One thing Id like to add around straylining your bait into a pinnacle. If you have a boat. To me the money spent on a minkotta vs Fn about with the anchor pays for itself, you can position yourself perfectly in wind cross current without having to deploy the reef anchor. Of course its just a case of messing about with cleats to get a good position, but the best position is always no anchor line and arse facing the pinnacle. IMO.

We have all seen this! When other Fisho's first see my Strayline rigs, its always wot the hell are you fishing for SharksLOL. I say no Big Snaps!

Its one benefit of not using berley in your situation. No sharks, or less. And yes its a laugh when people see me slide bait a live KY for snaps. "No way a snapper will be able to eat a bait that size". Check out that video I posted Matt Watson deployed one, 3 secs of too 20+ lb snaps trying to get the bait first and whoosh its in the gut. Much like fishing for JD's around Kawau. 

One thing that shark comment does raise though is the type of berley uses will have the bronzies who own the pinnacle around in minutes. Sometimes this is where the kina or if you HAVE to buy, mussel berley can be a winner. 

I spear most of the gulf over the years and the number of Bronzies at Tiri for example, berleying into the various pinnacles can be frustrating. (not as much as shooting Kings there and getting 1/4 of it back time after time, or fighting charging bronzies off when they get in a frenzy, annoying)

Pillies I only use if i can't catch fresh bait out there.

Only time they were on my boat were when someone else bought bait to contribute, ugggh. Next time you HAVE to buy, try some Bullet Tuna whole. Larger, tougher, just as oily. To be honest Geoff Id like to see you go out wide in Alby season and troll up a bin full of Bonito or albies, and then come back in and chuck a whole one out and season what you pull up lol :-). I remember reading an article 25 years back nzfishing mag about using bonito heads, so I gave it a go out near Kawau and sure enough got a 16lb'r on it. Im pretty sure 30lb snapper could make short work of a smaller albacore or medium bonito much like a KY but maybe cut some strips in its side first.

Letgetem, not sure what Geoff thinks, my opinion is in the shallows they will come to the surface if necessary. When I fish pinnacles in 20-30m, they will easily demolish tough baits half way up. I see them under water come all the way to the surface to feed off bivalves etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:36pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple of classic vids from our FishWhisperer doing it basics in the shallows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V42biICdaVY

This one shallow water to a small pinnacle/reef in 10m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyFx_LnlCTQ

Love your work on the vids FW. Not sure if you still have the Osprey....

Arguably the hardest form of straylining as you are pulling the fish into the reef, but can pay dividends on the really bronze coloured snaps. This is how I learnt to fish in the early 70s around Port Jackson thanks to my uncles, so for me is my fav form of fishing. If the pinacle turns to sand, I will often slide bait live baits for the snaps in this situation, clearly with heavier gear.

Scott with one of his rock missoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLScK7APYw

A full FYI from Matt Watson and lots of Bronzed Snaps on 9/0's unweighted. Showing how effective kina in the berley is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJNjOAqGOs

Have caught the odd big one

Just some tiddlers on your scales that day Geoff lol?

https://youtu.be/C5-HjY_psyE?t=140

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 4:54am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi FF, on the bait, going after albies in my little Mac for bait would see me out to far for my comfort.Have been caught out once by a quick Westcoast weather change a few years back where i battled in the little boat to get home. Scary! They good but prefer a fresh Kahawai as alot tougher texture. The different styles of Straylining required for rocky and pinnacle areas i know nothing about, all my advice is for over sand on Westcoast. Worked a treat for me again on Sunday hit the good fish in fifteen metres. best 11kg. lost a stonker! pulled hook early in playing it. Boats out wide struggled on Snaps wot reports i heard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw your  in close report ...
Locals are all for heading wide,  "close" sort 30/40m marks
As just getting to know  the area have been stopping and hitting 25/35m marks , and nailing good fish across top of the tides. When the bite goes off thu , thats it.
 Farest out has only been 34/35m
 Only one local mentioned getting in behind the beach breaks, and that was a 'quiet' remark.
 Also son nails it surfcasing all year round, so much that catch and release off the beach is regular.
 He knows how to pick rips, foul etc..
So on that basis why shouldnt the inshore work well?

Again thu , the rig is basically a stray line with sinker on the end of the main line...sort of strayline rig we work, except with as light a sinker as possible 1.5/ 2m trace.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:55am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

That's an interesting idea. Is it best to put the bait near or on the bottom, or higher up. What do you think, Snappa Geoff?
Hi Letsgetem, Fish Addicts input is much the same as wot i do, basic but Iv'e refined a few things. Okay, on the bait depth i always have them on the bottom casted as far as you can from boat. Another good tip is to use Flouro colored line as you can keep an eye on them if there is any change in direction. Often a big one will swim up against current with bait without making your drag activate. With clear mono hard to see. When I'm having a great session often a bait is taken as it nears bottom, but genarally all my fish i catch on bottom. Beer
Page  <1234>