Is Garmin LIVESCOPE the real deal?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Garmin LIVESCOPE the real deal?
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:53am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok firstly, I didnt believe in Alieans until I saw this thing working.

So if you dont know, what it does is show fish, structure, your lures etc in front of you LIVE. Not what you have passed but you can literally see fish moving etc, pull on your lure and you will see it move in 20m of water.

The thing is, is it worth the price. Some say yes, some seem to say no. I know Tuna guys love it. Not sure why that is.

Lowrance is the first competitor but sadly imo their system is pretty weak, it doesnt provide anywhere close to the angle range and its very circular. 

I just hope this tech gets better cheaper.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/591379
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:44am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The $2k price for the transducers is a bitter pill to swallow but they cover all other forms of sonar. 

Just seeing a fish moving for a lure live on screen sounds almost as fun as spearfishing and seeing the real deal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:51am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic video on it and what it can do, simple and easy to understand presenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9eqqJUmm0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 12:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can watch fish hit lures on your normal ff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 12:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats not real time muppet. You cannot see in front of you, only whats been. Livescope on a Garmin display will let you cast the lure and watch the fish chase it LIVE.  Hence Livescope. It uses clearview which is a lot more accurate looking fish over traditional sonar. so using clearview they apply the livescope technology so you can see the fish swimming LIVe, not as you pass them, but in front of you, or as the next point, below you if you want.

Another one of the big benefits is you can change the angle directly under you to see what is there LIVE at that exact point in time, so lets say you are out mayoral island, you have located the school via 2d and livescope front view. you can then angle the trandsducer to see where the big boys are at and target the jig passed them.

That video truely is worth watching to understand the difference and how it works, 

Whether or not its worth $2k plus a display model, thats probably dependant on the user, how they would use it. I would imagine for top water and fisherman and jiggers its a massive help. 

Lowrance tried to come back with their own but cant nail the tech just yet, but Im sure they will in tme. 

One on a 12" raymarine would be dope.

So, lets say you have a 943sv 9". It still displays all the functions that came with that sonar, ie maps etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 1:22pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting technology. It would be interesting to have it scanning back down your burley trail to see what was there. Some days you suspect the fish are there but just aren't biting. Well with this you would know if they were there or not. if not there then up anchor and go somewhere else, if there stick it out until they come on the bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 1:37pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Interesting technology. It would be interesting to have it scanning back down your burley trail to see what was there. .

Well it just so happens the Garmin product does look backward just a bit too, not nearly as much as forward.

Where due to the angle on the sightscope from lowrance its limited to in front, and clearly is in inferior at this time (this I think is important and nobody else has tried yet, at least lowrance have had a first attempt).

In time I hope the transducer angle can be remotely controlled by say a little joystick on the screen.

At this point, I think I may just give it a miss. But if prices drop ill be on it like corgy to a pile of rottweiler poop 

Im actually looking at the new Seadoo fish Pro, has the 5" garmin which doesnt work with sightscope so Im wondering i i can upgrade that in time.

By the way new Fish Pro is the most amazing PWC, all the fishing features are unbelieavable. 

St3 hull is so stable, you can carry both a 51l esky but also an extra tote tank. But best feature for me, I can lie down and listen to my fusion blue tooth via my phones spotify 70s acid rock channel while I let the kingis hook themselves on livies :-). 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 4:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Thats not real time muppet. You cannot see in front of you, only whats been. Livescope on a Garmin display will let you cast the lure and watch the fish chase it LIVE.  Hence Livescope. It uses clearview which is a lot more accurate looking fish over traditional sonar. so using clearview they apply the livescope technology so you can see the fish swimming LIVe, not as you pass them, but in front of you, or as the next point, below you if you want.

Another one of the big benefits is you can change the angle directly under you to see what is there LIVE at that exact point in time, so lets say you are out mayoral island, you have located the school via 2d and livescope front view. you can then angle the trandsducer to see where the big boys are at and target the jig passed them.

That video truely is worth watching to understand the difference and how it works, 

Whether or not its worth $2k plus a display model, thats probably dependant on the user, how they would use it. I would imagine for top water and fisherman and jiggers its a massive help. 

Lowrance tried to come back with their own but cant nail the tech just yet, but Im sure they will in tme. 

One on a 12" raymarine would be dope.

So, lets say you have a 943sv 9". It still displays all the functions that came with that sonar, ie maps etc.

What you mean not real time? Seen loads of snapper rise up and take my softie or jigs. Even livebait getting hit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 4:23pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ff,

You may of missed a point there.

After watching that video, thanks for that.

It is a tool only used on a slow moving craft. Primarily attached to your forward positioned minn Kota as an example.

If you attached it to the rear of your boat while straylining you could possibly achieve some very interesting info.

Very cool and our boats will sink soon with the amount of bling, or we'll suffer divorce or run out of pin money.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Ff,

It is a tool only used on a slow moving craft.  

Being transom mounted makes no difference but yes they have mounts for both as most/many people use a minnkota now for anchoring a boat in position.. I wonder if you reversed it if you could watch your berley and strayline session live backward, so you can have a seat, instead of having to cast into the strayline forward on a pinnacle etc. 

Muppet unless you have livescope or livesight you are NOT seeing your lure live, its not possible. you are seeing it YES, but NOT live.

As Matotoo pointed out its really for slow or at rest boats, minkottas are used as an anchor on many boats hence the transducer fit.

What it is good for is once you have found say a bunch of fish around ocean weed or a swell bouy, mahi mahi or kingies, you can cast your lure and watch them chase it, or maybe you have found a pinnacle, you can see the fish so you throw your strayline bait amounst them (thats why I think a back ward facing livescope would be ducks nuts).

But turning the transducer down facing is awesome, you can see th schools of kingis etc moving around, great for jigging. 

No dount garmin are the only real option right now, but will be interesting now that lowrance have put out a version "livesight" even though its a shaddow of the garmin version, I think they will catch up in next couple years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:33pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Muppet unless you have livescope or livesight you are NOT seeing your lure live, its not possible. you are seeing it YES, but NOT live.

Well yeah it is live, it's just presented as a single vertical line of pixels at the (probably) right-most edge of your sounder.

If you turn up the scroll and ping speed to maximum on a modern sounder you'll achieve something pretty similar, you just get the history as well. Turn on the magnitude scope thing as well if you like to see live reflections. You can 100% see a fish rise in real time to hit a bait/lure, just because the history is retained doesn't make it any less "live".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is live Fiz just a line on the FF screen dropping into a school or a single fish. Which is why I call it Atari fishing and most suited to slow moving vessels with the screen in front of your face. Like my kayak funnily enough.

Livescope means jack if you are not watching the screen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Live" fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:16pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup do it all the time, definitely live even with older sounders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:44pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

"Live" fishing

Muppet thats what Lowrance call down scan active imaging. Its not live. Live on on lowrance is called livesight, but its in its infancy compared to Garmina livescope.

I know it LOOKS live, but its not.

Even though I dont like this example as I would use clearview on the top,not the old school colours etc. The top is live, the bottom right is like an old school transducer, watch how it picks up the fish as it passes out the back of the top image. The bottom left image is TRUE live down scan. There are some epic cool videos on youtube where you see jigging for pelagics and the lures get nailed in real time. Which in your technoloy would show up, just later.

The other thing it does is it shows you schools of fish in front of you, which will then appear under you. So you can get ready for the strike, or if in say Aus, they might be GTs and you can throw poppers at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DWUm81h3wE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is also very cool and useful.

The start is just 2d forward live view, then changes to 3d live view.

Its a full rendered 3d of whats in front, instead of the top chart in the last video. Its not the best one, but you get the idea. With the right sensitivty, lets say you have one of the shipping poles, notorious for holding kingis, you can watch them in 3d real time live, so you know if its worth trying that pole or not. I will try to find an example where its more obvious how useful it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iSN8o5rD8

But muppet for what you do, Im not saying its worth upgrading, its not cheap. I personally wouldnt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha that is just normal sounder, no downscan. I do wonder if you know what you are looking at and how it works for me, well as DT said he does it too.

I reckon this is why kayak fisherman rule, it is the ability to use a FF effectively as you possibly can.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:59pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha that is just normal sounder, no downscan. I do wonder if you know what you are looking at and how it works for me, well as DT said he does it too.

I reckon this is why kayak fisherman rule, it is the ability to use a FF effectively as you possibly can.

Well that is the feature on your model when looking under, its called downscan

You can just use the older display method, if using the transducer in such mode its just showing as you pass over structure. Which of course is going to show your lures dropping etc

The simple difference with live tranducers is, they will show the fish moving live toward the lure or live bait, which would also show up in normal 2d but not until you have passed over it etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s is normal 200khz sonar not downscan.

It is exactly the same as “livescope” or any other new gadget. It shows the fish on the 2d screen moving around and in that case eating my softbait, that snapper was about 6lb from memory. I have literally done that 100s of times.

I would advise you not to waste money on buying it. One of my best mates is a FF designer/engineer for a big company and that is the latest gimmick for the bass fisherman of the states. It will not work that well in saltwater he has tried it.

But feel free if you got the cash.,,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:17pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s is normal 200khz sonar not downscan.

Yes thats what I just corrected, I meant to say you HAVE downscan should you want to use it.

But i completely disagree, forward facing real time transducer is not the same as a traditional transducer that shows up the real time as a frozen image as you pass over the fish. We will have to disagree there.

Im actually looking at the industry as I design similar systems, Im an industral designer working in nav user experience software. so I am very wary of anything new myself. Thats why if I was going for live view of any sort, at this point in time Garmin is the only way to go. Along with being GPS experts, their current systems are pretty good.

But no its not something Im buying into yet. Im actually waiting for lowrance to get its livesight better as I think its a winner with what is imo a better Sonar system.

However, ClearVu vs Downscan by lowrance, Id go downscan every time. Simply because it actualy looks down. Clearvu stitches side images to give its most clear image. Downscan shows much more detail 
Page  12>