Biodegradability of lures should be mandatory imo!

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 2:44pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I use burly.. the KY, trev, mullet frames heads recycled back thru the old garden mulcher..
 Most of our bait is fresh KY/ mullet/ trev cought, filleted/ pre cut, salted and frozen or just frozen.
Havent brought pillies or squid etc for many yrs now.

No not our hooks or SB...we caught it on a strayline re curve bottom hook

Same, I catch any of the small stuff i the sheltered bays. Some of the sabikis have lumo, so if you flash it with a UV light it works even better.

And nothing wrong with Berley as you say, who would pay money for berley, its like the same price as a bag of bait......

When spearfishing I use kina which are becoming a pest in some spots, so eat em up. But I do what most spearos do and crack em open then through them over a kelp ledge just bob down and sneak into view, doesnt usually take long for the first customer. but whats great about spear is you get to choose which fish you take home. 

RE that hook in his guts, I thought they changed the law so all hooks must rust out. perhaps it was fresh. either way I use demons which are fully circle hooks and ive never gut hooked a fish, and ive had a 13cm snapper hook itself on a side of kahawai haha.

Of course how we release is important, minimum wet hands, preferable gloves wet, even better in the net or released at side of boat with barbs that have been flattened with plyers. 

not going to judge anyone on how they fish but to me id rather lose a fish than not hook him corner of the mouth and use a baitrunner and gut hook him. But shows you can release a gut hook, maybe try to snip as far down as possible?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

use a baitrunner and gut hook him.

A what???
 use recurve /suicide whatever each brand calls them, either the baitrunner is backed off or the main drag/ free spool is.
 All my reels are bait runners, including the SB rigs

RE that hook in his guts, I thought they changed the law so all hooks must rust out.

look at the hook closer.. I did note doing so in my post
 Its a std mustard red J hook on a SB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 4:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

look at the hook closer.. I did note doing so in my post
 Its a std mustard red J hook on a SB

Well spotted. Wow, rang out of SB hooks maybe.

The big Red hooks are often used in a double hook on a side of cuda or whatever down the berley trail, on a bait runner style reel, so they way for the fish to swallow the hook before striking. IMO this encourages gut hooking.

But back to this, well spotted Steps. Gut hook recurve Mustad hook. Id say thats gold, but its a negative. 

Seems though the REAL bio baits are starting to appear from what ive been researching and the prawn ones posted on here. I think the prawn ones would make a mean soft bait for snapper if they keep their flavour 

What is that fake crab meat made out of? If you could just make that 3x chewier, there is a bio bait haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:32pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Biobaits are really just a waste of time at the moment, but great for the tackle industry. When they can get anywhere near the durability, movement and not dry out in 15min on a hot day, then I may consider trying a packet. Until then I eagerly look forward to schooly season and trying to break my own pb of 29 solid snaps on one electric chicken 4"streakz. Went thru 3 jig heads that day(crushed or opened gapes) and when I finally lost it, it was like losing a member of the family. And 20 odd fish on one is not uncommon. Show me a bio that can do half that on a regular basis and I may reconsider.

And yes I do still miss my "single use plastic bags"!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:46am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Biobaits are really just a waste of time at the moment, but great for the tackle industry. When they can get anywhere near the durability, movement and not dry out in 15min on a hot day, then I may consider trying a packet. Until then I eagerly look forward to schooly season and trying to break my own pb of 29 solid snaps on one electric chicken 4"streakz. Went thru 3 jig heads that day(crushed or opened gapes) and when I finally lost it, it was like losing a member of the family. And 20 odd fish on one is not uncommon. Show me a bio that can do half that on a regular basis and I may reconsider.

This guy ClapLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Birdbrained best fisherman in the country.

Definitely part of the problem not the solution LOL

Luckily the majority do give a F, thankfully. And plenty of solutions are on the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dropped into local H&F to restock the tackle drawers.
 They have some new brands hooks.. AND SB jigs. rather expensive, custom lumo and eye etc.... So curious picked up a pack and read the instructions.

No its not marketed as as a SB jig.. it marketed as a jig for SB and lure and cut baits evenly.

I have thought about cutting a nice bit of KY or mullet belly strip bait tapered in the shape of a SB and dropping on...Wink

I have put a little bit of belly on to a SB.  When you go thru the nose, before turning going back up in the middle, a bit of thin belly on the hook... then back thru the body.
 That got hit hard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:06am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have thought about cutting a nice bit of KY or mullet belly strip bait tapered in the shape of a SB and dropping on...Wink

Combining bait with lures like dropper rigs with lumo flashers, activate the fluro with a torch and drop 300m :-). Crikey big blue eye monsters appear.

A whole new world hehe

Do you have a link to the rigs by any chance steps? I believe scientifically proven, anything with a tentacle moving like motion is recognised as food by most fish.

I suppose thats why leatherjackets like squid vicious so much....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:45pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Luckily the majority do give a F, thankfully. And plenty of solutions are on the way.

Hmmm, I think I might have to get you to elaborate on that a little more, before I respond. xxx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:20pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

rigHt my little cricket eAting fRienD, did you acTually read what i said, Or waS yOur heAd so deep in the weedeR that you only saw what you wanted to?
maybe you'll be able to find somethIng on you tube you LIKE thAt might explaiN it to you in a way that a poult(you probably will havE to look thAt one up too while you're GoogLing) can understand!. but in the Event that you cant, then here is a rundown for you great Winged one .
i HavE Never Said That i woUld never try a paCKet gobbler, i stated that until they have the durability, mOvemeNT and ability to retain their moisture, tHEn i would maybe Give it a go. and foR the recOrd i have tried several packets made in the Us aND they caught a lot of fish, but couldn't survive our snapper jaWs for very long.
and In regards to Those numbers caught on one softy, well that's scHooly season and any numnut, no idea with all the gear can go and caTch a good number, bUt i'm guessing that you are probably one of the mob that see's 40 boats and goes and fishes with them and wondeRs why they aint catchin King squat! i look long and hard for the right patch and the boi spawning grounds aren't big meleagris.
now "definitEly part of the problem not the solution". i'm not even sure what the heck your'e on about or even why you thought it was even worth a lol. If you are trying to say that my use of plastic bags was wrong then say it, my wattle headed friend, because many of mY bags were used often several times. And i'm just purely speculating here but i suspect that you would be the kind of type to have a vacuum packer at home in order to preserve the freshness of your drumStick!!
however my favourite bit has to be "birdbrained best fisherman in the country." love it!! now you will probably need pen and paper for this but go back thru this message and pick out all the capitol letters. Then if it is still not in front of your eyes then put a dash after each amount of these letters.4/2/4/4/2/5/4/5/2/3/6/4/7.

And will you look at that, I didn't have to use a single emoji!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shanedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:24am
Shanedog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Interesting Topic FF, Maybe in the near future more and more lure makers look at creating  better compounds that break down quicker. Or we could all revert back to Bait. lol. On line, braid getting bust offs snagging ,kontiki's getting stuck and breaking off, hard to avoid, but on a whole most of us respect our Oceans and bring our rubbish home from a day out fishing in NZ. We only have to look at our nearest neighbours in the Islands how bad the polution is. A recent trip to Fiji i went out from Sikatoa on a charter. Had to drive a few K's on a road next to Mangroves to get to boat. This was there dump where the manly plastics a metre thick went up and down with tide. Couldn't believe it yet so close to us. 
I saw the same thing when we were there a few years ago under a bridge in the township. Couldn’t believe what I was looking at and how they treated their environment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Companys dont give a 5h1t.. they have a legal responsabilty to shareholders to max returns...withing the limits of the law.

plastic bags a good example
 look what happened.
1/ huge issues world wide with them, and not just the seas for yrs/ decades, reported.
2/ eventually ppl started to get upset more and more.
3/ eventually enough a couple outlets saw it maybe profitable, good PR if did some thing about it.. like selling the bags hundreds of % above cost.
4/ then law makers see a politically advantageous advantage if they out law them to look good... but, yep the but...yrs to eventually phase in

Yet the companies knew yrs/ decade, before this was all going to happen.

This happens with everything from synthetic cannabis thru to fishing quota and building on sand dunes.

And we think degradable lures will be feasible in the near future... ??

Yeah right.

The technology is there (like the bags), the pricing /market / laws are not.

A comment by TF above

rigHt my little cricket eAting fRienD, did you acTually read what i said, Or waS yOur heAd so deep in the weedeR that you only saw what you wanted to?

Maybe a little overboard but certainly the base subject seems very correct. Im having similar issues in replies to my post above

Do you have a link to the rigs by any chance steps? I believe scientifically proven, anything with a tentacle moving like motion is recognised as food by most fish.

Links to what????
 nothing I have, and 99% of what i post, including pics (the one above, my bait board) is experience not google m8
 And if googled will give reference.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:48am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We dont have a plastic problem. We have a people problem. People not  disposing of plastic correctly.
So what if a soft bait buried in mud takes a thousand years to break down. Rock takes millions,sometimes billions of years to break down before it turns into that pesky sand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:51pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

We dont have a plastic problem. We have a people problem. People not  disposing of plastic correctly.
So what if a soft bait buried in mud takes a thousand years to break down. Rock takes millions,sometimes billions of years to break down before it turns into that pesky sand.

Classic Cirrus, spot on. Only difference though is the toxicity of plastics entering the food chain as plastics break down. Its already pretty high.

Dont lose a lure like Terra and there is no issue. 

But the reality is not all fisherman are that capable or they fish irresponsible line weights around reefage etc.  I guess that goes back to what Cirrus just said, people problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:58am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ouch, I think my hand just left an imprint on my forehead!
You really don't seem to have any actual idea of anything do you, my feathered cousin..
If I lose 1 sp after catching up to a couple of dozen fish, that makes me bad. And maybe having removed a few more because they were not recastable.
If you use 12 biobaits to catch one fish, because they get shredded, torn, nibbled and eaten, that makes you good. Now dozens of fish are swimming around with bits of artificially manmade chunks of chemically enhanced biodegradable protein causing who knows what sort of havoc to their digestive systems and potentially killing them or even worse making them sterile(not based on any known fact, just spitballing), or washing up in masses to turn the coastline into a mardi gra of colour to rot down, then hey that's allright because YOU feel good.

I'm really enjoying this so don't go tying yourself to a wilding pine to save it just yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 1:44pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Terra chill out, this has nothing to do with you personally, my reply to you had a poking tongue smiley face, I wasn't aiming the topic at you personally. Rubber baits arent going anywhere any time soon.

The issue is the toxicity of plastics and doing the best we can not to add to that as direct users and dependents of the ocean, which includes mono lying around the rocks or even worse cut off into the ocean.

Its simply about the ownership of not adding to the problem, as best we can. If these bio baits do progress to the level of either being tastier and catching more fish and stronger than certain tentacle baits that just get bitten off then the added issue of not wanting to leave plastics which degrade to toxins will have some impact on the soft bait market. But from what I see we are a while out from that happening. And the use of freshly caught bait, as someone said, isnt always easy to find and some people simply dont like the mess/smell of real baits. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lost only two Gulps this morning. And had half a dozen wrecked that went back in the box. As per usual no Zman went missing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:23pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Lost only two Gulps this morning. And had half a dozen wrecked that went back in the box. As per usual no Zman went missing.

How do you sleep at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know terrible
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 10:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I gave up on gulp yrs ago.. nothing to do with environmental stuff.. basic economics
Just as Muppet describes...
Z get a little loose, drop a small plastic tie on the front.

Over the last 20yrs or so our composting, recycling stuff has had nothing to do with environmental concerns, its become economically good sense.

Still waiting for Auckland city council to bring in charge per rubbish bin thu....instead of getting charged to put out each week, will get charged for putting out every 3 or 4 weeks.

Bottom line right now we are getting charged for those who cant be bothered to recycle, and or just consume ....

And I can see the comments coming .." oh your bin must get smelly"  which includes fish skins and frames cant give away or burly.
I have described before how to make the perfect lid seal around the top with silicone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jack.worthington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 5:29pm
jack.worthington View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The leatherjackets will happily digest discarded softbaits LOL
Page  <1234>