Magic morning on the Harbour - Orca and Snaps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magic morning on the Harbour - Orca and Snaps
    Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A magic morning in the little FC with the Sis

Late Winter early Spring is a time of the year I really love to fish, The small fish are in low numbers and you have a good chance of catching some nice solid fat Reds. The plan was to get the Sis back out on the water in the little FC for a bait and berley strayline sesh, it's that perfect time of year to set the trail and draw in the fish.

The Sis turned up just before 6.00 then we headed of on our adventure with the little FC430in tow, We arrived at our destination with the sun just on the rise. Just after launching I noticed something out the corner of my eye then white spray in the air, it was a pod of Orca on the prowl looking for stingray. It blew my sisters mind as every time I take her fishing she always talks about wanting to see more of the wild.

There was a big male with a few smaller ones and a couple of babies, the Sis was absolutely buzzing and couldn't help letting out a few little excitement yelps. It makes my day when I take the guys out or go with friends and they get to see these things, it really turns into one of those days when you can say after watching that a fish in the bin would just top the day off!

We had a couple come up with stingray in their mouths which was pretty cool but it was time to head off in search for some late winter/early Spring Snaps. It was a bit of a long run in the little Fc and once reaching spot X over went the berley, berley is a big ingredient this time of year. We were in around 6mtrs dropping baits back to about 8mtrs, we sat there for awhile and after 20mins of nothing doing the thoughts started to come on. It's pretty hard to leave a spot you know can hold some nice fish.

We sat it out and our first little nudges came on, they felt small or maybe even Carrots playing with the baits. It even felt a little like bait fish but striking on the bites small turned into not to bad size fish, what I was noticing was the fish were very tentative on the bite - more little bites came on then striking again the rod instantly loaded up. This time of year it can be like that at this spot, also you get little runs of fish that come through ever now and then and you really have to make sure you hook up.

We caught a few nice fish for the morning with the best going 70cm, we missed a couple of goodies to. We had to keep the big guy, we tried for awhile but it was a no go. We had a couple of other nice fish around 50cm and a couple of 35-40cm fish in the bin so we decided to call it a day. There was plenty of meat for us so we made our way back to the ramp around 2.00, what an awesome morning it was and the Sis was still on a high seeing the Orca.

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote topdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
topdog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:36pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Some great fishing there and nice pics Jas - no great detail required but where were you (roughly...)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody good effort
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:05am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

righton !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:14am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Classic session mate. 70cm is a good fish. Yep right time of year to keep the just matured snapper and not have those piranhas of summer stripping the baits.

Was this Manukau FW?