Kingfish feeding on whitebait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingfish feeding on whitebait
    Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 6:07am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I have peeled this off a question asked in the Tauranga thread. It deserves a thread of it's own.

The question is interesting because I see kingfish (and GTs) being very much large baitfish predators. In most cases you would be best advised to cast a large fly to either species.

I have had both kingfish and GTs reject small flies. With the GTs its usually one of those unexpected encounters during a bonefish hunt and all you have time for is to cast your small bonefish fly at it. Invariably they barely look at it. Interestingly though, brassy trevally of quite large size can be caught in exactly the same situation. It sort of highlights that 'big baitfish predator' category that kingfish and GTs sit in.

There are situations where kingfish will eat small flies and it is the only situation where I have seen kingfish feeding on fish larvae of any sort. This is generally on glassy calm mornings. The kings are observed 'rolling' on tiny baitfish on the surface. The feeding style can be quite unhurried and it can be difficult presenting a fly without disrupting the feeding pattern.

I have seen a big school of solid kings doing this out by Cape Brett. Most of the kings were sitting beneath the surface in a large slow-moving school. Fish would peel off in twos and threes in order to roll on the bait. Suffice to say I failed to hook any of them and quickly managed to upset their feeding focus.

I can't say I have ever witnessed kingfish feeding on tiny baitfish inshore.

Anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 6:32am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I can't say that I have actually seen kings feeding on whitebait in the harbour. I don't kill Tauranga Harbour kings because I believe we have a dwindling resource. However if I see someone kill a king, I make sure that I examine the stomach contents. This doesn't happen very often because most kings caught land based by bait and lure fishers are released. I did check the stomachs of two early winter kings caught at high tide in the harbour and both contained juvenile cockabullies, around 2 to 2.5 cm in length. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:00am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How small is tiny?  The anchovies that turn up in Auckland aren't particularly big but the kingfish love them, though they tend to be schools of mainly rat kings up to 75cm. I use pretty small flies when they are feeding on those because they can be rather picky. Normally size 2 hooks with a clouser style fly made from blue over white or white over white SF blend. Total size +-10cm. Red or white dumbbell eyes seem to work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:48am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Now kings feeding on cockabullies is interesting. I wonder if some of those tailing Auckland kingfish are doing the same.

Johan, I'm thinking of whitebait sized baitfish- generally under or around 40mm and often with that translucent fish larvae appearance. I do regularly see rat kings hammering anchovies that are about 50 to 75mm long, but we don't get a lot of big kings on those schools. Inshore the bigger kings are usually working pilchards, jack mackerel or piper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 5:30pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the most common bait my auckland flats kings is  small [silver on sides, dark back]
no bigger than 50cm.
my crease flys are about 1  inch in foam, 1 inch tail.
i use to ty on much larger flys but wasnt till i went small that hook ups became consistent.
taurangas a different beast were the piper imitations rules supreme ive found.

Re the 'Tailing', i use to think this was king trying to get flounder[which is likely when the baby flounder are most abundant in late summer] but have oberved them tailing on baitfish, not really tailing  more like turning upside down and flapping there tail then coming up and swallowing any stunned victims.

But turning all theorys on the head, the early season or/and unpressured fish will go any old pattern as well as its presented well.
but again an unpressured fish is getting hard to find!
so i like to  put in quite a bit of thought in my'Hatch matching' .

theorys,upon theorysLOL

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 8:30am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have seen the kings slowly swimming, sometimes solo, sometimes in a spaced out group, head down and tail slightly high hunting.  I reckon they are looking for flounder, cockabullies and crabs. That's what my 22kg king was doing before I hooked up. When I see them tails up, which is usually when they are with a very slow moving or stationary short tail, I reckon they are hunting crabs and cockabullies. I have seen them doing over snapper and eagle ray feeding holes. I also reckon they aren't particularly fussy about what marine animal they'll feed on. If it moves, it is eaten. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.