Reccs are taking too much

Page  <1 6789>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 4:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Don't worry it was legal.

A rec gets caught picking the legal Snapper they want to keep and throwing the dead legal ones back, they can be hammered.
Commercials can actively pick the size of legal fish they are targeting for a specific market

Either situation is flappn wrong imo. as Im sure yours (I mean nothing wrong with catch and release of good breeding fish of course).

And I dont think this is slagging comms. They are just trying to both make a living and feed those super market shoppers who dont fish/spear with fresh fish.

But the dumping of 50cm snapper in the hundreds is just foul and should be illegal. Do comms not keep a count of what they have in the chiller as they go along?

I think reccs being targeted by fisheries is always going to be "what about them" situation as they do have such quiotas. But me personally, I have no ill feelings for the reasons stated, many industries and people who dont fish need the comms.

Reducing recc limits any further will just encourage people to dump dead legal sized fish as well, knowing they can do better.

I like the Port Phillip bay reccs, its 28cm, 10 fish limit, but only allowed 3 fish over 40cm. This encourages keeping the Juvis and only taking a few limited mature Snapper. But then it is the largest enclosed sea water way in the southern hemisphere, a bit like the Med of Aus, without the weather during winter haha. So I dont know bout comms on PPB in comparison, but clearly they can manage that water way, Im surprised we keep struggling to figure out what we have and can manage in the Hauraki Gulf. 

Maybe we should change our mind set on snapper and start targetting Kahawai, kingies, JDs, Gurnard, Puka etc. Also getting more people in the water selectively shooting fish instead of gut hooking a 20cm snapper (im not going to call it a Dumb Stick as I own a couple haha).

If people put the money into more capable boats, the schools of Kings like around Mayor Isl are huge, or went west  via a bar to chase the close to shore deep water species, then a few bigger imo snaps on the way back in, along with chasing tuna on both sides. Then filleting/steaking/smoking the fish and deep freezing. Yes it would mean less tmes out on the water, but food wise their would always be a bounty of different flavours in the freezer. 

But I understand for some its about gettng out often as its a hobbie. Perhaps changing locations and rigs from soft baits to live baits on the bottom around kawau for JDs etc, top water trolling for the albacore and skippies, KY and Kings and if you lucky way out the back on the worm beds of Tiri a beakie might turn up. Plenty of FC430 owners catching marlin. 

We are SOOOOO fixated on Snaps, I just wonder if we gave them a break and kept an eye on comms, if the gulf would be an even easier target on the way out for something different to fill the bin with......

Just an idea.

I think and have said before that supermarket demand for snapper, blue cod, basically rec species needs to be looked at.
I posted up prices on this thread the other day and if our premium inshore fish is not flying off the shelves in its freshest best state then why catch it? How much is thrown out?

As for targeting other species well you will be hard pressed to fish any bait and not get snapper for a start. Every method I have used the past year I have snagged snapper from sabiki for macs to live bait for JD. You are gonna get them because there are lots, greedy and dumb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think and have said before that supermarket demand for snapper, blue cod, basically rec species needs to be looked at.
I posted up prices on this thread the other day and if our premium inshore fish is not flying off the shelves in its freshest best state then why catch it? How much is thrown out?

As for targeting other species well you will be hard pressed to fish any bait and not get snapper for a start. Every method I have used the past year I have snagged snapper from sabiki for macs to live bait for JD. You are gonna get them because there are lots, greedy and dumb.[/QUOTE]

I saw Blue Cod in New World Whangarei the other day at $59.99 per kg, who in their right mind would pay that?!Shocked
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

As for targeting other species well you will be hard pressed to fish any bait and not get snapper for a start. Every method I have used the past year I have snagged snapper from sabiki for macs to live bait for JD. You are gonna get them because there are lots, greedy and dumb.

I agree about the supermarket fish condition, how long does it take to get the fish there? If I have to buy, I buy from the markets or a local monger who gets the best gurnard.

Great to see Blue cod being caught in regular numbers in Auck hey. I think thats choice, along with Gurnard have come around cape colville back into the Gulf. To me that shows signs things are getting better

Yep I get your point. Although livebaits do lessen the snapper rate and increase the JD and King rate.

Also their is top water lures at the poles/buoys/and if really lucky in March when water is warmest, floating weed and one of my fav fish mahi mahi. But more often up north.

Have you tried trolling live baits in skirts? You might want to upsize the gear for that one :-).

Get out west to 200m+ and droppper rigs heavy sinkers and big slabs of cuda. Just dont be surprised if you catch all you need on one drop with fish that IMO is superlative to snapper.

Have a look at those idiots on Fishing and Adventure (I love you boys truely, goons lol). They show how to catch other species and they arent experts but have good success at less by catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I kayak fish, that’s part of my carbon credits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:25am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ZB right now the general public, well the opinion on commercial fishing is pretty low.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:01pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

M  I caught the end of it.  Some reasonable views from what I heard.  Sam from LegaSea was on earlier.  Did you catch that conversation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah again was very good made his point quite well. Seems NZ has had quite enough of commercial overfishing and high fish prices.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can get it 'on Demand'.
I missed legasea - so maybe it started earlier - I clocked in from 11am. Maybe you need to clock in earlier than that. Nash was on after 11am with the usual blah blah and evasive answers - no straight answer to the Q as to how we get to 15% of a biomass with a world leading QMS.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 5:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hate that word sustainble,bottom trawling is not sustainable it destructive,Sam from legasea was on somewhere between 10.30/11.00made perfect sense,longline is the answer, Nash has no Idea,could of made a 30% cut but that would affect small regions!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 5:44pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems to me these cuts are near meaningless. Maybe I dont understand the system well enough - Croc?
I have some info - slightly out of date now, but hard to rationalise the quota behaviour.
2013 TACC for Terakhi was 6439 T. The catch for the previous few yrs (reported) fluctuated between 5300- 5730T. In other words they were already struggling to fill the TACC. So it is a case of catch everything you can. So a 20% drop in TACC (last yr), basically does nothing to leave more fish in the sea - still a matter of catch everything you can. Business as usual. So the response now is a 10% reduction. P...ing in the wind it would seem.
Even more silly is the Y/Fin TACC. - 263T. in 2009 they landed 43T. In 2013 0.6 T. So what % reduction in TACC for Y/F fits a sustainable fishery criteria?  
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 5:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well the thing that was no surprise to me was the complaining about the price of fish. Most callers simply saying it was unaffordable. Which I think should lead to having a look at the shelves of the supermarkets etc.

That was the general public opinion, so is a lot of fish being just chucked away? It is certainly not flying off the shelves at its freshest best that we enjoy. If so it is needless waste.

This kind of survey should be straight forward.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:03pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tar1 which covers east cape to roughly mokau 2010/2011  Tarahiki

TACC          CATCH         CAUGHT       GOVT levy + Conservation levy     DEEMED Value 

1447 t          1463 t           101%              $8.70 per tonne +$1.11        $3.00kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:15pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So those figures would mean they are grossly undercatching elsewhere?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tar1   101%
tar10  0%
tar2  108%    alan your waters
tar3 79%
tar4    47%
and keeps dropping until tar8  new plymouth 100%
The Majority is exported to Australia    chilled fillets   46138     value $633065   $13.75 per unit

figures from 2018 december
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:47pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Makes me sick. Half my catch of fish I give away,to elderly ex fishermen....who can't justify spending over 39 bucks a kilo on fish....go figure. Yet we sell ourselves out for a small profit to other countries. Last week we caught one 18lb snapper,that gave three elderly people,my family of four and another elderly friend a few good meals.
Corporate greed to make money feeding countries that have overfished their own stocks.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:53pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

tar1   101%
tar10  0%
tar2  108%    alan your waters
tar3 79%
tar4    47%
and keeps dropping until tar8  new plymouth 100%
The Majority is exported to Australia    chilled fillets   46138     value $633065   $13.75 per unit

figures from 2018 december

Paul putting these figures up mean nothing without explanation.

Tar1 101% means commercial caught 1% over the TACC
Tar10 0% = no Tarakihi caught
Tar2 108% = 8%over
Tar 79% = commercial only caught 79% of TACC
Tar4 47% as above
Tar8 100% = caught TACC

As far as Im aware less than 10% of Tarakihi is exported the rest is for NZ markets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:40pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Listened to last of that talkback this A.M. Encouraging to  listen to people who knew what was going on and not taken in by those T.V commercials.
Very ironic that in a country surrounded by fertile seas that the ability to purchase fresh fish has become the domain of only the elite .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We were in Auckland at the weekend. Went to the fish market. Among other eye-openers was a single crayfish for $127!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 5:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

640,000 tonnes of lost commercial fishing gear is lost in the ocean each year. Article in the Guardian.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:25pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Coromandel mussel farms seem to have inexaustable snapper stocks..
Charters all the time, and huge number of recs...oh, no commercial netting or long lining...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <1 6789>