Reccs are taking too much

Page  123 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reccs are taking too much
    Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 2:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1908/S00378/new-survey-measures-recreational-fishing.htm

Obviously done inconjunction with commercial,numbers do not stake up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:04pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's often a NIWA person doing surveys at my local boat ramp. I have always been accommodating towards them, but often wondered whether the information collected would be used against us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Amazing they can tell us the actual numbers we catch but not commercial.

14 percent of the population that is about 500,000 now. 7,000,000 divided by that is 14 fish each per year. Average of just over one a month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:29pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the key word is estimate. translated--dont have a clue or at best -wild guess.
So we are doing the damage. Really. How many of you guys and gals own recreational trawlers.??

I would also go as far to say there are less recreational fishing with each year.
Go back 10-15 years. At weekends -Okahu bay there were trailers parked halfway to mission bay as carpark full. 
These days always able to get a park. Even times like labour weekend. 
Unless trailers are parked in outer space the availability of parks would indicate less fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:33pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where does it say anything about taking too much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:10pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To me that confirms as they say the demand for recreational fishing.

That it's a substantial interest to many.

Hence the need for a bigger slice for the benefit of recreational fisherman.

This should also see now a demand for improved and increasing access to our fishery for recreational fisherman.

It also shows that some areas are only accessible for safe boating in the area described.
This allows over 80 percent of our coastline and hence fisheries being barely touched by recreational fishers.

That would suggest a need to balance the take towards recreational fisherman as they do not have large commercial craft worthy of safe use in the other areas.

I see it as a huge win for recreational fisherman.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Where does it say anything about taking too much?

It looks like the projected numbers for some species are very close to, or in the case of Snapper, exceed, the TAC allowance for recs.

They reckon around 4600 tonnes of Snapper caught by recs. Seems like a lot when the commercial catch is supposedly a little over 8000 tonnes but what do I know.

Also interesting to note that roughly 50% of recreational fishing effort is on the east coast of the north island, between North Cape and East Cape. Having seen the number of boats in Mercury Bay over easter I can believe it, a busy busy day in Wellington is maybe 50 trailers at the ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:13pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1908/S00378/new-survey-measures-recreational-fishing.htm

Even when confronted with this survey you still believe there is collusion between those doing the survey and commercial. I haven't read all the findings yet, there's a lot to digest but judging by the article recreational are doing just as much harm to the stocks as commercial. Even Scott MacIndoe tried shifting the blame squarely with commercial on the AM Show news rather than accept any fault by recreational. Little wonder this US & Them mentality exists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have decided that my interest in this can not be in a thread called "Reccs are taking too much", so Im opening another thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Even when confronted with this survey you still believe there is collusion between those doing the survey and commercial. I haven't read all the findings yet, there's a lot to digest but judging by the article recreational are doing just as much harm to the stocks as commercial. Even Scott MacIndoe tried shifting the blame squarely with commercial on the AM Show news rather than accept any fault by recreational. Little wonder this US & Them mentality exists.

It is an MPI release Tzer.

Why are recs at fault? The numbers just don't stack up as recs being at "fault".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

There's often a NIWA person doing surveys at my local boat ramp. I have always been accommodating towards them, but often wondered whether the information collected would be used against us.

I believe we also see Bluewater Research folk there measuring and recording catch data also Andy, I wonder if John Holdsworth or Pete Saul will comment.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 6:45pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do the commercial guys do with undersized fish, arent they 25cm still? I mean long liners, those new nets seem to let the babys out.

Im wondering do they count the dead undersized fish in their commercial estimates?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:32pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

What do the commercial guys do with undersized fish, arent they 25cm still? I mean long liners, those new nets seem to let the babys out.

Im wondering do they count the dead undersized fish in their commercial estimates?
No as they are not landed,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

No as they are not landed,

I hear that is why berley mincers were fitted to discard the undersize catch, as in under 25cm for snapper and everything else not targeted.

Mince it below, sight unseen, lesser public complaints... industry keeps slaughtering as fast as they can.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:13pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've often had a discussion with the chap at Waitangi boat ramp, and one of the things that he really notices about rec catch is the old catch phrase (10% catch 90%) is generally true. The only time the odds narrow up is when the snapper are schooling and any idiot with a fishing rod can go and catch a fish or 7. What does this say about our breeding stock. I have no problem with taking a large fish or my limit, but we should have some sort of restriction during these times. Over the Years I have seen a big reduction in the size of these spawning schools and then listening to people blame it on the longliners. Yet at best we might have 2 in the bay but often none. Yet there is more rec boats than you can count.

There is simply no easy solution or way of compiling accurate hard data
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:44pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe I'm missing something but there is what looks like an oddity in the methodology. They contacted rec fisherpeople based on their "avidity", basically how much they went fishing. Long story short, the more you fish the more you got contacted. Surely this is going to skew the **** out of the results because it seems to treat all fisherpeople as being of equal skill, when it is not hard to notice that people who fish lots will generally be better at it and catch more fish? Therefore if you survey "avid" fisherpeople more, and they are catching more fish, this will surely cause some major shift in your survey outcome? Or am I missing something?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:48pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nope. Basically that 10% is more likely to be surveyed because they are out doing it as opposed to the yearly dabbler or schooly warrior
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 5:28am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have personally averaged 10.66 fish taken per month over the past year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 6:28am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

It is an MPI release Tzer.

Why are recs at fault? The numbers just don't stack up as recs being at "fault".

While this may have been initiated by MPI it was done with National Research Bureau (NRB) and NIWA (the National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research) help.

So if you lot dont accept the survey results tell me should have conducted the survey?

It appears to me that as recreational fisherman you dont want to believe that recreational aren't doing harm to fish stocks and not matter what commercial are solely to blame for what ever state our fisheries are in. Before last elections you all believed that a change in government & Stuart Nash was going to be the saviour for our fisheries, so how did that work out for you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 10:16am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Two parallel threads here. One saying recreational take two much.
The other providing figures that say recreational catch in sn1 has fallen by around 21%.  Umm-----???
Page  123 9>