Rust-swap parts or treat rust?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust-swap parts or treat rust?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:12pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all, I have some rust problems as you can see in the pics. Are either parts or both easier/better to swap out or just treat the rust. To treat well with POR15 or similar would require good access to the whole of the components hence my replacement idea. Looking at it the lower sleeve type bracket with the gear shaft through it looks the easier of the two, the other pic looks like much more difficult to swap. Thoughts anyone? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:34pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Second pic to follow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That a Suzuki? Has a lot of "meat" on those steering arms and gunna be the same job to replace or repair. Me, i'd repair and reinstall
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:17pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fisholene. .
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:57pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

That a Suzuki? Has a lot of "meat" on those steering arms and gunna be the same job to replace or repair. Me, i'd repair and reinstall

No, a Merc. It looks like its not a small job to replace though, but keen to hear what others think or see who has a manual? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:02pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 3:27am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 2006 mercury 50hp had rust in same areas though not as much, Looks bad but still functions ok.
Are you keeping boat for sometime.?
If you don't mind treating often cleanup what you can and treat with pot 15 get black matching paint colour from resenes and do every year.
If look bothers you, you'd prefer to do it once or steering stiff or getting stiff may want to remove and cleanup,
Could pay a shop to remove.? Going to be a fun job some of those nuts look bad may need heat.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sons merc also had similar..
Question is, is this a concern for appearance or function longtivity?
They appear to be heavy cast, so longtivity not so much as issue as Mac indicates above.
Appearance, sorta along with Mac, you can get in with a dremel sander ti clean most of it up.
Then phosphoric rust kill (no epoxy additives) and POR15. (Mac is also a serious converter to POR 15 now)
Let the phosphoric work for a couple days.

A shorter term couple yrs and much cheaper would be old school automotive enamel over the rust kill.

Make sure you degrease before sanding down... It not its not uncommon in areas like that to grind any grease/oil into the surface causing fish eyes in the paint... POR15 and enamel cover over easy.. Flow well so a artist's brush on a cooler day works well.

The enamel will remain taky for quite some time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:41pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The top one, I'm not 100% if you can remove it without taking the powerhead off, which is not a terrible job as long as nothing is too rusty.

The bottom one, in theory you can remove the circlip from the bottom of the steering tube and take it off the bottom, but there's a reasonably chance that it has basically welded itself to the steering tube and won't come off without removing the entire assembly and hitting it with a big hammer (or some heat and a press)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"She's a big job mate".

It's a cast material the steering arm the lower easier to solve.

Start with inox liberally just to enable removal.

I'm picking the lower you can solve easily after removal.

Blast, pickle, remove and annul corrosion then use etch primers, hi build corrosion primers and a high build epoxy topcoat.

The steering arm, it's a crappy involved removal, wish manufacturers would use another format.

Word to those with new stuff, wash and protect this area from day one, it's a high risk corrosion zone.

If you are capable, most aren't remove and replace, if your tight, follow above procedure but it's an important part so understanding its detoriation for possible future failure needs to be investigated properly.

Don't envy you.

Lesson here is don't let it happen.
The manufacturers make it hard but high frequency maintenance from day one will help.

Good luck.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 9:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lesson here is don't let it happen.
The manufacturers make it hard but high frequency maintenance from day one will help.

Yep 
a liberal spray of lanocote every 3 or 4 trips
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 9:43am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To do this job properly you need to remove the swivel arm ,you cannot clean it underneath or paint as there is limited accesses between the swivel bracket and arm .You do not have to remove the power head .You have to remove the gearbox .Get a chain block or hoist , undo the the port and starboard swivel arm bolts .Suspend the weight 1st .Undo the trim n tilt wires and cables .Then undo the 2 bottom nuts , undo the earth cable there as well .with the weight suspended the power head and the leg will come off as one unit . then undo the 46mm nut on the bottom of the swivel shaft and pull the swivel arm out from the top .    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:08pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the advice guys, anyone have a manual or link to a manual that would help in dis-assembly of the bottom steering tube? Have tried to google but seem to be going around in circles. I think I will POR15 the top steering bracket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:43am