Topic de jour.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topic de jour.
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah my French stinks.

However time is running out for prepping for the game season.

The lack of conversation suggests we are well schooled, not bored enough or sated from excellent results.

I thought with the forum as a learning, sharing and conversation tool i would encourage those with questions or experiences to put it out there, there must be something someone wants to know.

Hell I want to know why so many fisherman had such vast experiences over last season.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:41pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Mattoo,

I'm real keen to target gamefish from our trailer boat on the West Coast this coming summer after a 25 year break.

Keen to hear any favoured lure colours out west as I'm in the middle of kitting up again.

Actually any intell is appreciated after being out of the loop for so long. Home base Raglan.

cheers Jeremy
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lumo, evil , black & purple seem to be the go most years .
Try Redgill lures , RG2 lumo and maybe RG1 or 2 in Kohe or evil , BP 5.5 Zuker ..bonze GShock , undertaker ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, Legacy didn't leave much room.

I noticed on the west lure sizes were smaller.
8" seemed more suitable.

There were good fish in close, 40 m.

There were fads north off piha.

The main zones still had fish at times.

A few more good size further south towards raglan.

Overall. The radio was quiet. And I suspect will be now more common for tightlips.

Biggest advantage was current Intel.

I'd join one of the clubs, Manukau or Muriwai.

Hopefully Legacy and I have given you food for thought.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:22pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They were just my current ideas plenty of others have their ideas and have been way more successful than I was.

Have had fish out west on Pakula sprockets, 5.5 zuker,Joe yees, Rg 8, Rg4 gay bob was probably my top lures with 2 out of 3 one day, bonze vampire, a couple on moldcraft bobby brown in black purple, bill basher and old blues , medium bodgies, freedom grand slam in evil . A real mixed bag of shapes and sizes.

But black purple, lumo, evil, blue silver/white over pink, and zucchini seem to have worked best for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:36pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No fish out west, they are all hanging around ancorite rock, mate was there in weekend and thinks he hooked a black while livebaiting for kings
As for fads, they have broken loose and the contents washed up on bethels.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:44am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rg 3 barbie and Rg 8 Nathan special have been going well on the west last few years especially the Rg 8 nathan special had more hits than elvis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 6:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have many kiwis had success on the Brad J Pakula a pink orange recommended on shotgun or is it an ozzy/tropical warm water lure?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:07pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Step 1: Check the tides, sea surface temperature and weather conditions
Step 2: Get out there and fish!!!
Step 3: If kahawai and skippies are splashing all over the place, the ocean is alive!
Step 3: Find the bait and stick with it
Step 4: Match your lure size to whatever bait is in the area
Step 5: Run a pattern of big splashy lures to bring the fish in and some smaller easy-to-eat lures.
Step 6: If you are worried about lure size, skirt colour or lure brand, check Steps 1-5 above and repeat!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:17pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks all. Plenty of wise words there...
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!