Cold But Great Snapper Fishing!!! Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold But Great Snapper Fishing!!! Mokau...
    Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:06pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, After nearly two months on land saw an opening this arvo and headed out. Long Johns under me 7mm wetty is the only way to keep a bit of warmth beach launching this time of year especially with a cold wind blowing off the mountain today as well. I bounced over the small whitecaps and headed south, tucking in close and fished in ten metres where there was a bit of protection from the wind. Got of to a slow start but managed half a dozen Kahawai, so had good bait if any Snaps turned up. After two hours still none but plenty of Spiney Dogs I finally got a Snap run on one of me StraylinesBig smile Shortly after boated a 5 kg model followed by another a few minutes later. Then one stormed off under the boat the opposite way how the lines were laying, meaning one thing its a fish of good sizeThumbs Up At first I thought Shark by the long runs but in 10 metres Snaps scrap hard. Played it for ages tiring it out then finally some colour and netted it. A short Barrel of a fish weighing 9.8kgs. A couple more smaller ones over the next hour then i called it a day. Got my fix! so I'm happy for a while againLOL Lots of friends getting fish tonight and some for vacuum packing. Few pics, one showing snow capped Mt Taranaki, Best Snap of the day, and others displayed in boat. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:00pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gold mate and a belated happy birthday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:08pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokau produces again.. Awsome geoff.!
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

Cheers Salty!Hows the old 6500 still going strong? I'm running smaller models of the new Penn Spinfisher V's now. Very impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingfishers kingfishers wrote:

Mokau produces again.. Awsome geoff.!
Thanks Kingfishers, Yep its one special place alright! Being off the beaten track and protected 95% of the time by rough weather and seas contributes alot to this. The other being Maui Dolfin Commercial ban, allowing the fish to flourish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:44am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aced it again, great fishing Thumbs Up

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:30am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome work Geoff.
Best way to beat the winter blue's I reckon.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:29pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome day out. Great work Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:18pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Cheers Salty!Hows the old 6500 still going strong? I'm running smaller models of the new Penn Spinfisher V's now. Very impressed.

The 6500's are withstanding the test of time mate.

Terrafish is the recipient of all the parts I didnt use.
Great to share the love around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:06pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And thank you for that dave. Its awaiting transplant. not gunna be very many bits left after another few handovers.
And nice fish Geoff, might give me incentive to get boat sorted and out myself, before the summer lunatics show up here in the bay!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:26pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Geoff , braving the elements you caught some nice fish. How far out is the ban for Maui doldhin.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:27am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Well done Geoff , braving the elements you caught some nice fish. How far out is the ban for Maui doldhin.
Hi Murry, Getting near 60 I do question myself sometimes wot the hell am i doing freezing me balls off beach launching this time of yearLOL but I love the challenge and success i have from the silent little Mac 360. I think its to seven k's out.You do see the odd trawler way out on horizon sometimes but very rare.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:30am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

And thank you for that dave. Its awaiting transplant. not gunna be very many bits left after another few handovers.
And nice fish Geoff, might give me incentive to get boat sorted and out myself, before the summer lunatics show up here in the bay!
Glad to help another out other Forum Member Terrafish.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Aced it again, great fishing Thumbs Up

Cheers
Thanks Dennis!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:39am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

Thanks Reiver, Wish we had more variety over here like you guys, Have never caught or tasted Tarakihi. I have family in Whakatane, maybe one day in years to come i could come out with you guys? Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:53am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

Thanks Reiver, Wish we had more variety over here like you guys, Have never caught or tasted Tarakihi. I have family in Whakatane, maybe one day in years to come i could come out with you guys? Beer

No problem, my work is pretty full on at the moment ( I work a lot of Saturdays with my business) but October/November should be good. We should be able to work something out.