Terakihi

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe it is just your spot that has been hammered? 40 or 50 people that know about it is heaps enough to wipe it out I would say. I have about 6 spots I rotate between so I don't put too much pressure on one area. Not sure if they are particularly territorial but they would be easy to clean out if you kept hitting one spot I would say.  Just a thought. Also in summer we definitely catch less than winter, in deeper water and in shallower. it has been like that for years for us. The big thing that is missing are puka. We used to go out to some spots and tarakihi were just a nuisance fish, all we wanted were puka. Now we would be lucky to get a dozen a year off the same places. Really glad for the tarakihi now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i have a couple of good Terakihi spots off Whakatane.
Only time I seem to have any trouble catching off those spots is after a trawler has been through and cleaned out the area.

Would probably hit one of the spots 3 times a year, and the other maybe 6 times so don't consider that too much to take limit every time I do venture out there.

When costs of getting out there - fuel, oil, servicing, bait etc. are taken into account it wouldn't be worth my while to head out for only 10-12 fish as some seem to be promoting. Be careful what you "wish" for, the recreational fisherman is in danger of becoming an endangered species...

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah very aware of your point Wayno its not like you are out there week after week hammering one spot. That makes no sense at all on any fishing areas you got fish seasonally and sustainably and that means resting spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:41pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

Maybe it is just your spot that has been hammered? 40 or 50 people that know about it is heaps enough to wipe it out I would say. I have about 6 spots I rotate between so I don't put too much pressure on one area. Not sure if they are particularly territorial but they would be easy to clean out if you kept hitting one spot I would say.  Just a thought. Also in summer we definitely catch less than winter, in deeper water and in shallower. it has been like that for years for us. The big thing that is missing are puka. We used to go out to some spots and tarakihi were just a nuisance fish, all we wanted were puka. Now we would be lucky to get a dozen a year off the same places. Really glad for the tarakihi now.

We have perhaps half dozen spots that rec's consistently go to and its nothing to see upwards of 20 boats all sitting within talking distance of each other on a couple of these spots. These spots have continually fished well for as long as I can remember and fish are there mostly all year round. During the summer we get some good concentrations of tarakihi in less than 30m and only a mile off the coast. Perhaps one of the reasons why our tarakihi fishng is consistent on our coast between Mahia & East Cape is that we have a lot of reef structure compared to other parts of the country, we also get good concentrations out on the mud too so its not all about just fishing the reefs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:59pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reiver, you may be right that it has just been fished out by locals, but I have never seen more than 4 boat trying to fish the spot at the same time, it is only a small area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting responses, quite varied between regions and even within the same region. Shows how hard it must be to make a one size fits all policy! And how little we know about some of these fish.
Page  <12