Paint over Epoxy sealer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint over Epoxy sealer
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:16pm
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm using the winter to replace the floor in my Mac 360, using marine ply that is being sealed with Altex Epoxy Timber Sealer. 
Looking for any experiences / recommendations to paint over sealed wood as I don't have much experience and am getting confused with all the primer / undercoat / topcoat products out there. Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In principle all your doing is applying a plastic bag to stop ingress of water.
Your looking for a highbuild paint that is hard wearing.
You may want other factors such as grip.

The thicker the paint and the harder the dry the better the wear factor.

Also consider the two main styles of chemicals.
One is acrylic and one is enamel.

That's simplistic but still base sound.

An oil based or enamel as it can be called is generally thicker and more impervious to wear and breakdown.

Paints can be cheap or expensive and results of wear or detoriation are then reflected.

Yes there are more expensive systems such as chemically activated paints.

Your budget is one, your maintenance is another.

On a boat an epoxy or chemically activated paint is best but pricey and chemically nasty.

That's some base info on a big subject without trying to confuse.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:06pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You really need to put an epoxy primer like inter protect over it first then what ever paint system after that either single or two pot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its reel easy mate. If its just the floor that you are doing, then after the epoxy sealer has cured(do wet on wet to give it a good soak, and pay good attention to the edges, which you will have sanded to take the sharp corners off) Apply a good quality undercoat then coat with a product called "kiwigrip". Its an acrylic highbuild non skid that's easily applied and recoated when necessary. obviously the edges and under side will need something different, and you may well get away with a good acrylic gloss. Enamels don't have the same flexibility as acrylics so be wary about that over ply. Pm me your ph if you want more info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:36pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did the same thing on a Frypan years ago, sealed the ply with epoxy and glued marine carpet to the ply then cut around the ply using it as a template when the glue had dried. The finished result looked brilliant and was not expensive for the carpet. It was non-slip, cool and lasted for years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Its reel easy mate. If its just the floor that you are doing, then after the epoxy sealer has cured(do wet on wet to give it a good soak, and pay good attention to the edges, which you will have sanded to take the sharp corners off) Apply a good quality undercoat then coat with a product called "kiwigrip". Its an acrylic highbuild non skid that's easily applied and recoated when necessary. obviously the edges and under side will need something different, and you may well get away with a good acrylic gloss. Enamels don't have the same flexibility as acrylics so be wary about that over ply. Pm me your ph if you want more info

kiwigrip is a good option that i was going to mention - good for DIY - not sure on the pricing though - might be a bit more spendy than you had mind...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:58pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

$50 for 1L enuf to do 2sqm or 130 for 4L on Tm. Depends on how big the floor is and how much of a texture and build is wanted. If it was me and my area was nearly 2sqm i'd buy the four litre, do the first coat and let it cure, sand the peaks off and recoat(you can practice getting your texture right this way too, before your final coat.) Then use the rest of the can and BRUSH out the back and sides. Job Done. Used to do this on the boat every year(deck topside) and it lasts really well considering how many feet and bins got dragged over it. Far better than many more expensive options and designed for the enviroment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:04pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would just use a regular marine epoxy. Some of the 'sealers' are nothing but expensive epoxy watered down with solvents, sold at twice the price. Moreover as the solvent flashes off, it can leave microscopic pores behind for water to get in.

If you epxoy coat on a warm day the epoxy will flow better and soak into the wood. Two coats minimum, three if it's going to stay wet or ventilation is lacking. Regular WEST is fine, but if it's just waterproofing then a cheaper offbrand (like nzfibreglass 4:1) would work just as well I'd think. 

Any paint will work. Hi build epoxy, Kiwigrip, oil based paint, 2 part poly, regular old latex. Just depends on budget.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a long marine ply cover over my underfloor tank.
 Never been sealed
Its at least 20/30yrs old and solid as.
 The top, is red shed rubber backed carpet strip, F2 glued down.
The F2 must cover the whole area.. no air pockets where someone can turn / twist and stretch a loose part in the small area... which is why the last carpet.. professionally laid got replaced
 The carpet gets 3500lb water blasted 3 or 4 times a yr.
Pressure hosed after every trip..thats on ave 25 to 30 trips per yr...then mist sprayed with  gone in 30 secs to prevent any green that may form from little use and damp from rain.

Paint and a lot of other covers can get hot in the sun and slippery...the carpet doesnt.

These pics are after 5 or 6 yrs from replacement.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you for all feedback! Thumbs UpI was looking at Kiwigrip as an option, so good to see that there's positive feedback on it. As suggested, I'll probably get the 4 liters which will be enough for the whole floor and leave some a casting platform as well. The ply will have 3 coats of the Apex Epoxy sealer. As far as I understand, I can apply Kiwi Grip right on top of it, or would I need to a primer to it first?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:36pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not certain on that and wouldn't want to speculate. Look em up on the net, they have a contact page there. That way you get it straight from the horses mouth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:43pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You would need a primer of some sort first. Have used Kiwi grip,looks easy but the trick is in the rolling to get the right lift,apply thick and roll gently to flick it up so when dry you get a decent grip. to thin and hard rolling goes smooth with not much effect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:15pm
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great idea. I'll contact them tomorrow 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:44pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

You would need a primer of some sort first. Have used Kiwi grip,looks easy but the trick is in the rolling to get the right lift,apply thick and roll gently to flick it up so when dry you get a decent grip. to thin and hard rolling goes smooth with not much effect.
put it on like you're not paying for it