Anchor doesn’t free fall

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor doesn’t free fall
    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I normally have a Surtees standard anchor (similar to a Manson Supreme) on my 575 which free falls from the drum winch no problems. However, when I put a grapnel type on for holding in rocks/reef it doesn’t have enough weight forward to fall out of the bow roller. Before I start welding bits onto the anchor and wrecking the galv, has anyone figured out an easy way to do it? I tried cable tying some lead but it wasn’t enough. I don’t really want too much weight hanging out there. It’s a pain in the a... to have to open the hatch and push it out every time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:25pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Three thoughts - extra weight in the head - and something preventing the anchor from going so far in - and shorten the length of the shank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Weight for sure.

To be honest it's a mission you've set yourself.

If you insist with its standard format then out a roller between the two uprights of the bow rail in the picture to give you the fall.

No that won't work as the weight of the anchor is not enough to pull the anchor chain.

Put on a heavy anchor with a (!) release schackle backwards thingyme bob.

Stick to heavy anchor .
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:57pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top marks Letsgetem. a "brake" Super large washer on the shaft to stop it coming too far in will change the pivot point. You could also try a smaller (lighter) chain of 1/2 meter too as this will also help. One more thing is it possible to slip a bit of rubber/Oring goo under the roller so it rolls freely? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:59pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Let a little out before you reach the destination and maybe the banging motion might loosen it enough to free fall? Thats what I do with the lazer and its manson anchor.. Some days she deploys other days it needs a kick to get going..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:33pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’m thinking of trying a plumbing store to get one of those heavy weights that clamp around a pull out tap hose under the sink. Kind of like a cylinder split in half that bolts back together. That would hopefully be big enough to stop the anchor going so far in, and give a bit of weight forward. The roller spins nicely so no more to do there. The other option is to weld some kind of washer/rods to block the anchor going so far in. Then it’s needs re-galvanising, which is a bit of a pain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:36pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A heavier anchor would be great. But spending a lot of time in the rocks, I’d lose the anchor and tackle every trip if it’s not a grapnel. I normally straighten 3 or 4 of the prongs retrieving the anchor each trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:23am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a telescopic boat hook thingy with an adapted/modified end to give grapple a push when anchor released?  Are you solo probably easier if 2 of you, depends where anchor switch is and layout of boat?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually I like your weight clamp on shaft idea.
There are anodes for launch shafts.
Krows idea of lighter chain to start is a thought as well.
The collar restricting its return might work and keep the anchor secure while travelling. Though you may to watch how much of the prong gape you close up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:44am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about installing something like this, although you may need a little bit of weight at prong end to help tilt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:37pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How about adapting a barbell collar to go around the shaft of the anchor as a stop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:24pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like you just need a little bit more weight on the anchor.

Get an alloy beer can on a gas stove and put in some scrap lead until full - put a ring into the lead while molten and wire it to the anchor.

heavy duty copper wire bent round a nail makes a good loop.

Attach to the end of the anchor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:02am
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys. Im away at the moment but I’ll be onto it this weekend. If I can find a shaft anode big enough to act as a stop and provide the weight forward I’ll just buy one. If I can’t get one the right size I’ll melt up some lead into a cylinder (beer can is a good idea. Easy to remove once done) and drill out the center. Probably cut it lengthways and then bolt it onto the anchor shaft.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:10am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lead is a horrible thing to drill.
Put a sacrificial steel tube in for centre hole.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:10pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Looks like you just need a little bit more weight on the anchor.

Get an alloy beer can on a gas stove and put in some scrap lead until full - put a ring into the lead while molten and wire it to the anchor.

heavy duty copper wire bent round a nail makes a good loop.

Attach to the end of the anchor.

Galv, lead and copper all together sounds like a recipe for a fizzing anchor...

steel galv tube or Tzers suggestion, either modify your bow sprit or adapt the product .....
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:24pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your weight doesn't need to be round. Think outside the square LOL. A small 50mm length of galv box section might be worth a try? Weight and stopper. Just noticed one thing in the photo too the top end of the anchor is just long enough for the eye to fit over what looks like another roller? This might be just enough to hang it up? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Titahi,
Why is the fizz a problem.
Except ecologically.
Otherwise a spendthrift solution, I would of thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:29pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I took a polyurethane roller, split it down the middle then clamped it back around the anchor shaft with some Sika to hold it in place. I’ll eventually trim the U bolts down so the chain doesn’t get snagged up them but so far seems to work well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:05pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody clever. Clap