Take a kid fishing - big smiles on the dials

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take a kid fishing - big smiles on the dials
    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With the school holi's coming to an end my young fella Coby was keen to get a line wet, my other boy Kiah not being so keen he got his mate Issac to join. Their first time out in the little FC and being a NW wind I decided to play it safe and launched from Wenderholm.

My mate Luuk and I were here just a few days ago and I was hoping the mass Gannet workups we had that day were still hanging around, driving through Hatties there was just a handful diving so maybe they were? We launched around 10.00 and made our way down to Hatfields, there wasn't much happening with just a few Gannets sitting on the water with a few diving near by. We tried for a while but gave up and headed back down to Mahu Harbour, we decided to stop for lunch before we hatched an arvo plan.

While having lunch we caught a few small Snaps and Gurnard with one carrot being of good size that made it's way to the bin, once finished we made our way back out of the Harbour. Coming around the corner roughly 100 or so Gannets had joined in numbers and were starting to work. They weren't packed tightly like last Saturday so we just sat in the middle of it all and started picking up a few fish, once again there were a lot of smaller fish around that 30cm which went back and a few big Kahawai but this is why I love fishing with kids.

They actually bring the kid out in ya and you don't have to catch big fish nor needing to be snapper, anything on the end of the line was great fun - it was big smiles no mater what. I decided to drop a berley while on the drift to try and keep the fish with us. It worked pretty well and we started catching a few better fish, the boys were loving it and the birds still bombed away around us. It was such a cool day with them, that's one thing I love is seeing kids out there doing it.
We ran out of time and it was a pity we didn't find them quicker, we had a few in the bin so we called it a day an hour before the sun went to bed.

Another awesome day out in the little FC but the best part of the day was seeing the big smiles - gotta love taking kids fishing.....

Tight lines