WAIHI BEACH surfcasting 2019

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WAIHI BEACH surfcasting 2019
    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:25am
Fishcaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi i go to Waihi beach most weekend and was wondering if there were any good places to surf cast from. I went down Bowentown and down those stairs by the Bar and caught nothing,haven't got a lot of experience surfcasting but something I'm interested to do more of. 

Any help would be appreciated SmileSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:32am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go left at the north end of the beach, up and over the track, reasonable walk you come down to another little bay, go to the left of that bay to the rocks. I only ever fished there a couple times, but it seemed fishy.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:31pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Low tide.....down those steps.......head round to the left onto the sand and surfcast straight off the point. Had heaps of fun with Kahawai in the middle of winter a few years back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Welsh Contingent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:17pm
Welsh Contingent View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I know this thread is old, but hoping you can help: What is Waihi surf casting like at the moment, and could one of you kind people point to some possible spots suitable for young family (3 kids ranging from 6 to 11 yrs old) where we have a chance of catching some decent fish and safe for kids to swim? How safe is the area if I wanted to set up a camp for overnight fish? (can't walk too far, but do have 4 wheel drive vehicle), anything you can share would be very much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:11am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Doug.

Im certain there are some likely spots at the bowentown end of the penninsula.
There's either the point mentioned above, or the bay to the right of the boat ramp, that would be a safer place for swimming too than the point, and maybe easier to set up for a night fish. Sorry i have no idea on current fishing, its been an awful long time since i was there. Good luck.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:30am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a treacherous area for children, so I would have that top of your consideration in terms of spots.
The beach itself has a lot of rips and sweeping waves. One minute you're in knee deep, the next over your waist - depending on the swell and stage of the tide. I stick to patrolled areas for the kids swimming.
Would be mainly small snaps on the main beach, and the odd kahawai - judging from kontiki fishing I've been part of in recent summers.

There is a small wharf/jetty to the left of Anzac Bay which is a reasonable spot to fish off at higher tides. Safe and there are kahawai under the overhanging trees to the left. Nice swimming in the bay for kids.

The point jutting out to the harbour entrance around from Anzac Bay has vicious currents on the outgoing which I wouldn't let small children anywhere near. If they go in on an outgoing, they're gone. Seriously.
Maybe on an incoming tide you could fish here, casting towards the Bowentown estuary you might pick up a kahawai or snapper. 
I've hooked kingies there on stickbaits, but landing them was tricky.

It'd be worth going to look at Kauri Pt wharf, well up the harbour, where there are lots of kingies and mackerel etc right under the wharf, and snapper if you cast out to the channel edge. It gets pretty crowded, but interesting.
Walking out to the harbour edges at low tide would give opportunities for casting lures for kahawai etc. There's a community of fly fishers and lure fishers who do that for the kingies in the harbour. Again, have safety in mind re the incoming tides, making sure you don't get cut off on the other side of a deeper inlet.

Not sure about freedom camping - pretty sure it's strictly regulated with very few designated areas. The Bowentown campground is right there, so that'd be your best bet.