Advise on kingfish rod and reel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cldlr76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on kingfish rod and reel
    Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 2:23pm
Cldlr76 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

I’m looking for rod and reel predominately for targeting kingfish. I’m looking at the Shimano TLD25 reel but there are lots of rod options, e.g.

https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/shimano-tld25-raider-5-8-24kg-roller-tip-1-pce.html

https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/shimano-tld25-raider-6-15kg-1-pce.html

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishing/fishing/rod-reel-sets/rod/reel-shimano-tld25-combo-236

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to go for or other options in the $250-$300 range?

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 2:43pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Are you planing on live baiting or jigging?

My go to for shallow water live baiting, in around rocks etc is a TLD 30 with 24kg mono, have had it for years and caught loads of king fish on it.

If you want to get out into deeper water and jig or live bait then a jig rod and reel spooled with braid is a good option, buy the most expensive one you can afford would be my advice considering how many options are out there.

If you want to do some top water fishing, poppers, stick baits etc then you want a good casting rod and a fixed spool reel.

If you got a decent reel, I have a Stella 8000, which is great for top water fishing and if I want to use it for jigging I can just swap the reel on to a spin jig rod so something like that could be an option if you want to use one reel for two types of fishing. It doesn’t have to be a Stella, but again, the best you can afford is all you need.

Hope that helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 2:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would go for Torium 16 or 20 with braid then you can jig. Nothing wrong with what you are looking at but it is quite a limited reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 4:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had excellent results for years on a simple set up that covers many bases for me.

I use a shimano stradic 8000fj and a demon blood two piece rod.
I use quality 8kg braid with a hollow core joiner to a 1m top shot to suit, generally 60 lb supple.
I like the two piece version rod.
I have landed many fish types here and overseas.

I suggest this combo for a price and variable use option.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 7:07pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I would keep an eye on new shimano speedmaster lever drags. They look good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah that new Shimano looks cool but will be $399-499 if it gets here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:06am
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh really? Well in that case i would recommend the torium. Same drag as tld , faster retrieve, lighter in hands, casts better. Unless chasing monsters, a reel that will do the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:06am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Torium 20PG with a jig rod would do the trick, Speedmaster 12LD if you fancy a lever drag and do a bit of bottom fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:08am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Torium PG has more drag than a tld 25 an i'm pretty sure the Speedmaster 16II will be $399.99
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 11:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a casual kingfish angler, so take my advice accordingly. Using jigging gear for live baiting is better than using live baiting gear for jigging. A spinning reel is more versatile in that it can be used for anything, including throwing stick baits if that takes your fancy. I have a Penn Ocean Assassin rod and a Penn Slammer III reel that I use for kingfish. I've done light jigging with it, cast stick baits and done a little live baiting with it as well. It's jack of all trades (and master of none), but I'm happy with it for inshore kingies.  By the way, I'm not a Penn fanboy, it's the only Penn gear I own. If you know that you will be only jigging or live baiting, or going for really big fish, then there are better options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cldlr76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 11:35am
Cldlr76 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a 12000d baitrunner reel on a 7’ rod that I use for straylining and have caught a couple of kingfish.

So I guess I’m looking for something to compliment that.   We are still predominantly bait fishing so it would probably be used more for livebaiting but I wouldn’t mind trying jigs.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$399 not bad will take a look at the 12 when it arrives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Thommonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:25pm
The Thommonator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a Daiwa Opus Bull 4500 reel for sale at $150 that would work well for you. Smack it on a jig spin rod and it will cover live bait and jigging options for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 4:33pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Torium 16 or 20 PG on the Vortex 24kg rod, I think I've seen this setup spooled with braid for $399 or a scratch more.

Covers you for livebaiting, jigging, and even deepwater bait fishing in 120m or whatever for Tarakihi and such. Doesn't really have the capacity for Puka though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 4:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cldr76 there is a fair bit of differing advice above here.
You mention you are mainly bait fishing. If livebaiting and on a budget then the TLD 25 with 24 kg mono on raider or similar budget game rod will do the business as a livebaiting set. Was all we ever used in Hauraki gulf and caught hundreds of big kings on my TLD 25 .. only got taken to cleaners a couple of time and those fish were over sized monsters close to foul ground and we couldn't stop them in time , one even snapped a cheap penn 24 kg rod. The other fish was the biggest king I've seen and would been pushing 100 lb. it smoked us after eating a huge kahawai live bait.
Anyway if you did want to go spin on a budget I can vouch for the 4500 opus bull. I jig with one and it's paired with blue Diawa monster mesh jig rod and has smashed some pretty good kings jigging over the years. Great reels and really good value for money. I also have no connection to Tommonator, so recommending purely as a budget spin reel that with 50 lb braid has performed really well for me.
If you want to go new and want something bit smaller and jigging capable as well as livebaiting the penn fathoms in stardrag and lever drag are solid little reels. I have 20N fathom you could livebait and jig with that no problem with Pe 5 -7. They are also good value.
Penn Squall lever drag in 16 size is beautiful 2 speed (as -are TLD 30s and tynos) all solid reels worth looking at if want a kingi reel which will also cover gamefishing for larger gamefish should you wish to try. Also enough torque for deeper water fishing - puka etc to wind up bigger sinkers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:35pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

M8 if you're just going livebaiting then get the tld25.it will do the job more than adequately. And if you wish to chase puka then you can use it for that too. load it up with braid and put a 100m of 24kg mono on top to cover both bases. If jigging or topwater is your thing then look at an eggbeater down the track. that's two reels to do four styles of fishing(gunna need three rods tho!). If the rod you get for livebaiting has a roller tip and you put braid on your reel, then make sure it is braid freindly