Please tell me I misread it ...........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please tell me I misread it ...........
    Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:49am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Namely a report in yesterdays' herald re a guy who whilst trying to hide his identity inflicted an unprovoked attack on an overseas couple who were asleep in their parked rental motorhome.
The male victim was beaten unconscious,  his female companion had her nose broken & when they tried to escape by driving off were pursued by the perpertrator intent on continuing the assault & only drove away once the police were about to become involved. 

When later apprehended gave his mitigation factor that he was bored !

The sentence imposed was believe it or not was 9 mths. home detention .... yes not a typo .... nine months home detention for a offence equating to attempted.

What planet are some of these judges from ?????????
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:08am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, my thoughts are similar to yours. What a disgrace. I advise friends who are visiting to NZ to be very careful. All is not as it seems. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its not the judge.. it is the formula that here has to work by to sentence.
ie the formula means, a say a crime with a sentence over 2yrs inside, the guy get X amount off for guilty plea, Y for 1st offence, Z for say has a drug / alcohol problem goes to AA or what ever.. that comes under the 2yr limit..
 Home detention..
Then there will be further reduction to take into account any remand or limited bail conditions .. which due to the over loaded courts maybe 6 or 10 months plus.

So lets say(not real numbers) a 4yr crime..
 AA, guilty plea, 1st offence may bring that down to 1yr 11months...
The bail restriction conditions, curfews etc, and or remand say 10 months  may end up with a final sentience of 9 months home detention and maybe another 6 months or of good behaviour after that.

Its about the rules of sentencing not what the judge would like to sentence and these, like fishing quota are all made up by the law makers who decide how big our prisons are going to be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:39am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You read it correctly Bazza. All part of the slide towards becoming a lawless country. Didnt someone recently get a few months home detention for manslaughter. After all our leaders have said they dont want anyone in jail. Part of the kindness doctrine.

We are slowly but surely becoming regarded as a unsafe travel destination.

All part of our decent toward becoming another ****hole country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:01am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the prisons are overfull and the judges are informed on a daily basis how many are getting out and how many going in.
The bit that gets me is you look at him hes 22 with a massive neck tattoo and you can just see going no were and in a hurry to get there
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sadly (and I genuinely mean that), in all probability, this lad is not going to turn his life around no matter what interventions are offered. It might not be his fault that his life course led to this predicament, but a few years in prison would have at least kept him off the streets. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:26am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

the prisons are overfull and the judges are informed on a daily basis how many are getting out and how many going in.
The bit that gets me is you look at him hes 22 with a massive neck tattoo and you can just see going no were and in a hurry to get there

He was also ordered to pay $2500 to each of his victims for (quote) "emotional harm" .... big deal .... how far does that go to compensate for being beaten near to death, having a holiday ruined, a hitherto stable relationship ruined & ongoing fearful memories.

Furthermore in the unlikely event the $5000 gets paid then where is it probably going to come from ... maybe the old adage of "rob Peter to pay Paul" will prevail or social welfare will step in to give him some of our tax money over & above the court costs etc. 

Where does it say he is now 22 Cosmo ? As far as I can see the article states the offence took place Aug 3rd last year when he was 19 which would make him 20 or less, but in any event agree with Boosh that he is unlikely to reform.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Barry did you read about the security guard that got killed Papakura countdown?he is out after 2 yrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:04pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sorry on another site i thought they said he was 22, Compensation yeh right the kids never going to have 5k legally to start with, yes dont think theres a chance of reform but reality is prison will just speed up his trip to joining a gang and featuring again in the news to 20 yrs from now saying how hard hes done it and never had a chance or a opportunity
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:04pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

You read it correctly Bazza. All part of the slide towards becoming a lawless country. Didnt someone recently get a few months home detention for manslaughter. After all our leaders have said they dont want anyone in jail. Part of the kindness doctrine.

We are slowly but surely becoming regarded as a unsafe travel destination.

All part of our decent toward becoming another ****hole country.

Mmmm.
Becoming?
Really?
Some areas have not been safe for decades.
liberalism combined with a touchy feely culturally sensitive approach are making matters worse.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

sorry on another site i thought they said he was 22, Compensation yeh right the kids never going to have 5k legally to start with, yes dont think theres a chance of reform but reality is prison will just speed up his trip to joining a gang and featuring again in the news to 20 yrs from now saying how hard hes done it and never had a chance or a opportunity

He apparently had enough $ to purchase steroids to help with his body building and in fact that was part of his defense.
Roid rage.
Legasea Legend Member