Gamefishing Updates to Dec '23 - Tutukaka

Page  <1 7891011>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:05pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Krow,
But why two fish kept.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:49pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Well done Krow,
But why two fish kept.

Big family, but why ask one could have died? Ouch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al,
This is an open forum.
Asking questions is part of it.
I don't mean anything by my question other than understanding the fishermans choice.

As you asking me why I ask.
I'm happy to say why I ask.

All pretty innocence stuff if your having a conversation with no hidden agendas.

I have no agendas other than asking what the fishermans call was based on.

No facebooker here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Krow,
But why two fish kept.

Fair question maytoo. Both were bleeding profusely from the gills on leading. Could have tagged both for 150 points each (instead of about 110 total) but decided to keep rather than release and let die. So smoking both for sharing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:53am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al,
This is an open forum.
Asking questions is part of it.
I don't mean anything by my question other than understanding the fishermans choice.

As you asking me why I ask.
I'm happy to say why I ask.

All pretty innocence stuff if your having a conversation with no hidden agendas.

I have no agendas other than asking what the fishermans call was based on.

No facebooker here.

Ok, continuing with open forum, ... and if Mr Krow held up two 20+lb snapper, would you enquire as to why as well?? Wink
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:06pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks turtle.
Didn't realise those fish were from comp and pics can't tell all the story.
I suppose I support the points difference.
I know the food won't go to waste.
And as you said, they were bleeders, you definitely made the right call.

Not answering Al.
Not engaging it that stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congratulations Doug /aka Krow, that is hot fishing, and proves how good you are!

I fished Friday all day in 90m to 100m. With livies. On other boats was one fish caught off back of chicks and one lost hooked up and busted off on mainline cause ran back into dolphin work up. I didn’t even get a bite with large jacks and slimy macks caught on baits jigs in 90m depth. Anyway Saturday was too rough for us to fish.
Sunday trolled lures through numerous work ups some with dolphins and whales, but quite a few with no mammals. No cigar. Looked awesome and solo kept me very much on edge the whole time. Sunday was great day for me even though no marlin, boat went well and had it auto-piloted with bungee from steering wheel to rocket launcher when calmed off. 
Today mates were fishing with last few days (one had hook up on lure Friday) got kahawai livies and fought sharks - big hammers. Said had lots of workups.
Probably few marlin there, but hard to pull between oceans and chicks. Fishing as bonze tornament showed been pretty dismal up there of late. Did see nice yft being filleted last night at ramp ... came from just off back of nights on trailer boat.
Early days!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 9:31pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry guys been offline for a few days doing plenty fishing instead. Long days making full use of the weather windows. Yes we could have tagged both those Marlin but they would likely have died. The first one was ok till I gabbed the leader and the hook must have hit an artery or something because the water turned red. Plan was to tag it for the points as it was day 1 of 3 day comp with 16k first prize. Needing a photo with the tag and the day colour ribbon in the photo I made the call not to tag until under control as in the past I've tagged them and had them burn off and it's no fun praying you can get it back for the photo. 
Fish number 2 bleed hard from hookup. 
Some would have tagged them anyway but then you have to live with that decision and the 3 of us made the call. 
Day 2 had to get new motor serviced so didn't start fishing till 16:40 and no luck. Day 3 weather stopped us. 
Yesterday had a crack at a Broadbill after we grabbed a feed of a Bluenose and a Bass. . Hooked one after a very patient 6 hours but pulled the hook after a few minutes. 
Marlin are still fairly rare on the east coast this year though a few are about off oceans but for the number of boats it's still hard fishing. Few big ones about too now though. Mother nature isn't playing ball this year either with the small boats and onebase postponed. Hope the weather improves as I need to get out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe TM ... Tony on his boat, Wild Bill is weighing a Broadie about now... stay tuned...ClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:46pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

First Broady weighed in at New Plymouth last night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:51pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry lads.should be under newplymouth raglan section.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good man that Tony Martin, watched him whip a marlin out in front of me few weeks ago after 5’ 0 clock. Thing jumped a lot and they got in just on dark,  after tagging it. In hindsight I was pleased to still come in with day light.
Guy is a weapon of a fisherman and Wild Bill is a great boat. The best trailer boat out of tuts I’d say. Results speak for themselves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:19am
muppetshow View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marlin caught today apparently
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 5:23pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Temps are high and tuna are around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 8:55pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a little update from me. We fished the small boats with another 77 boats. A few fish caught including a couple of Blues. I think 10 on the first day with Saturday being a bit slower especially in the morning. None for us though. 
Day 1 Friday we targeted Broadbill will no real success. Lost a few baits to critters with teeth. Day 2 Saturday Too ****ty to deep drop so trolled around back of pinnacles where fish were caught Friday without much seen. Couple of knockdowns off the rigger when the gannets were circling above but no marks on the lure (same one twice 12" kilwell pacific baitfish) so assume large skippy or tuna. 
Yesterday went Puka fishing at Bream knolls and again not that flash with just 1 Puka and a few Gemfish & Tarakihi. 90 Nautical miles!Three days all over 12 hours on the water. After this week I have 5 weeks off to make an improvement. 
I'll let you know how we get on
Good hunting guys 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sent you a pm Doug. Yeah was pretty average, the good fish caught mostly long way from Tuts,  apart from the toothy ones. Full moon maybe and not lot of bait where should be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:03pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally a weather window today. Fished off Oceans as forecast was better South and true to word was a mint day. Shame the fish just didn't put their heads up. Plenty bait about in close and 110 all deep except the skippies who also failed to come to the party. Looked real fishy good temp and water but just one lure got a scrape early this morning. No hookups. RT quiet too just the one I heard tagged out wide of the V. Tuts Game base not staffed so possible more caught just not called in. Looks like might be a while till the next window too. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice try Krow, got to roll the dice. Sure came off for you last year when it fired.
 I need to get up there but keeping some powder dry, so can hopefully get up there when going off. Last year and year before couldn‘t  get there for various reasons. Sure not like the old days when took few weeks off and fished hard. Bugger that though too old to live camping and fishing most days. But.will pick few days when starts happening off back of knights or down oceans and go back to camp (probably in one of units rather than the old tent ) which I love doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 9:00pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well got sick of waiting for a proper window and braved the conditions on Friday and Saturday. Last minute decision was as we are fishing why not enter the 4 day Tutukaka one base for the last couple of days. Turned out easy as online with confirmation from club on Thursday night that they had our entry. Don't know if it was the weather the moon or just that there aren't any fish about but for the whole comp but fish tally => yellowfin at 52kg a nice snapper 10.2kg a Kingy of 10.39kg. Only 2 stripped Marlin both estimated at 80kg. One North of the 9pin on Eruo and the other off Oceans. Shall I say who caught the first one and managed first place? 

Time n Tide 
Pretty happy 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 9:51pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats Doug/Krow that’s an outstanding achievement and well deserved to you and the younger Krow. Wouldn’t be many times as in none I recall a trailer boat winning the Tuts one base. Massive!
Page  <1 7891011>